PDA

View Full Version : creaking from the front

FNFAST VR4
18-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I haven't used my car in about 3 weeks, but am taking it to Wanganui this weekend (5 hour-ish drive).

Anyway went to gas it up last night and the steering felt really heavy, and the power steering pump was not making happy sounds. Sounded like it was a bit stressed.

When I got out onto the road I could hear a lot of creaking coming from the front. It sounds like the ball joints are creaking. This is particularly annoying as I replaced them not long ago. All four arms in one go...

Is it possible that these are just need some grease or something? Or are they most likely stuffed already?

I'll probably take it in somewhere to get looked at tomorrow, but thought I'd ask you guys advice first.

scott.mohekey
18-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Did you put any grease in when you first got them installed?

FNFAST VR4
18-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Did you put any grease in when you first got them installed?

I got it done by a mate of a mate so no idea. What type is needed and how do you get it in there?

andydckent
18-08-2009, 02:49 AM
Was there not a batch of non OEM replacement ball joints that were prone to failing? I'd avoid driving anywhere until you've had it checked.

bradc
18-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah I wouldn't drive it anywhere. What brand were they? geniune mitsi or some cheap crap?

Go to Bill at Ralliart in Olive Rd, he is about 1km from where you work, will be happy to drop you back off and work and pick you up, and will be cheaper than anyone else. If you call him tomorrow morning you'll have the arms on thursday morning.

VR4WGN
18-08-2009, 08:46 PM
i must have the fakes then koz iv now smashed 3 lower arm joint now in 2 months!! WTF?????

FNFAST VR4
19-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Brad, it's in with your mate at Pit Stop at the moment, they're trying to ascertain what exactly is wrong with it. I am meant to be taking it to Wanganui tomorrow night so hopefully it's not expensive! I've emailed Bill at Ralliart and he's given me a price. Worked out cheaper with labour than the parts alone cost through the nearest Mitsi dealer... Watch this space I guess!

bradc
19-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Ahh I thought I saw it there today.

FNFAST VR4
19-08-2009, 07:38 AM
It seems that I could have issues with my power steering. I think he said the left straight arm is not happy, and something was loose under there. Might have been the sway bar. True to form it stopped making the noise so they had difficulty tracing it haha. It started it up again about ten minutes after I left. Lance is going to price some parts up and get back to me. They are really cool in there!

Subaru ETA
19-08-2009, 08:38 AM
yea doesnt soundlike ball joints aye. not a rooted p/s pump?

FNFAST VR4
19-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Well it made the noise last night as I drove it around. It makes the noise while going straight, like as you go over bumps which is what makes me think it's suspension related. It stopped it last night and didn't do it all the way to work today. I dunno what its problem is...