PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a faulty CD player in 3 easy steps

birdy
24-08-2009, 06:02 AM
so - we went skiing in the weekend :) yay - actually, my kids had a ski, I had a snowboard, so I was actually not boarding - more, falling on my ass a lot...

I have a car stereo with the single din head unit - then a connected single din CD unit in the console, and then a disk changer under the seat that uses FM frequency. My 4yo boy stuck a coin in the slot of the CD about a year ago - so it hasn't been used in the time, however...

The bumping from the drive up/down the mountain must have shagged with the CD unit and when we stopped and turned the power off on the car - there was this whirring noise coming from the CD player in the console. It wouldn't stop - and I only had a large philips and a large flathead screwdriver with me, it was close to 7pm and darkish, no streetlighting, no garage - and my torch was flat. I figured that the CD player would keep whirring away unitl it whirred away the juice in my battery - or - I stopped the damned thing. And since it really was useless anyway - I figured that a nice big lathead screwdriver in the mechanism should fix it... :)

hehehe

Step 1 - Get big screwdriver and jam the thing inside the cd player, keep jamming it until the noise stops

Step 2 - Pull the screwdriver out - and when the noise starts again - get ****ty with it and proceed to pound the living crap out of the stupid thing living inside my CD Player until the front falls off and I feel much happier that it looks destroyed - but *it's still making that damn noise*....

Step 3 - Pop car into drive and use screwdriver and teatowel to carefully remove console surround, reach around the back of the stereo and unplug the cd drive - then put front of CD drive back on, pop the console back over it so it looks as good as new - and hope you don't hit a bump dislodging the carefully placed cover.

The next morning, try to use the stereo with the CD stacker (FM freq) and realise I must have pulled the antenna plug out of the back when I was "carefully" unplugging the CD player. No radio, no CD, ditched my tapes long ago, and the next 4 hours in the car with me singing "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes" to a 4yo and 6yo

:P

Think I need to replace a cd player ;)

dreamer
27-08-2009, 10:11 AM
.I figured that a nice big lathead screwdriver in the mechanism should fix it... :)

Think I need to replace a cd player ;)

How's the screw driver now? perhaps a spare tool kit for the car is required :jester: