PDA

View Full Version : custom sub boxes

jodykirton
24-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I spent this weekend making some custom subwoofer boxes, very similar to VR4WGN's, but curved at the front and i have made one for the other side too.

The drivers side one isnt even the same size, the area to fit it in is smaller than the left side, so i put the 10" in the right side for the punchier bass.

The boxes are fully sealed (loads of mastic!) and fit in real snug /yes

Unfortunatly i havent got an amp / amps yet so i cant test them yet :thumbsdow

hope you like....

Atik
24-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Ohh very nice /yes
Fancy making one for me? For a 12" sub. With my rear strut bar (soon to arrive from HK) my current box wont fit snug to the back of the seats so need to work out something to replace it.

jodykirton
24-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Cheers :)
Does the rear strut fit on the wheelarch 'bulge' on the side right behind the seat (under where the boot cover clips in)?
if so then thats no problem.
The boxes can be shortened on that side to accomodate anyway.
I think VR4WGN designed his with that in mind too.

Atik
24-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Yep, thats the place on both sides where the brace fits. I was going to ask (if you were ok to make a box for me) if that small extended bit can be left out to accomodate the brace.

I'll send you a PM shortly regarding this :)

jodykirton
24-08-2009, 11:12 PM
that wouldnt be a problem, everyone i make is custom fitted to each car anyway :)
what amp have you got? where would you like that fitted?

i have yet to fit an amp in mine, think i might have to make a new shelf under the floor as its going to be a large monoblock.:rolleyes3

TAR
24-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Looks good.
Can you easily access the AYC reservoir on the right hand side?

:happy:

jodykirton
25-08-2009, 12:07 AM
the boxes slot into place, and dont move, so they can be lifted out, but if needed they can be secured down (which would mean removing the sub to access the screws / bolts)
so yes the light access and ayc resi can be accessed easy :dance:

VR4WGN
25-08-2009, 12:44 AM
looks good dude,pity bout the screws on the rear faces,and lift the top higher bout 80mm more,that way you ge tmore airspace too,how many litres does your have per side? obv it needs to have the correct amount to operate correctly??
but overall looks good,hope you can trim it to suit strut braces..
as for amps mine is a monoblock and is mounted in its own compartment under the sub box and lifts out as one..
therefore maintaining all room and floor spaces

jodykirton
25-08-2009, 01:51 AM
cheers dude!
thats a good idea pal, raise the top to meet the trim.
i was trying to keep it the same height of the normal carpet to keep it 'factory looking', but would still look good heigher up, and give more room for an amp like you say :)

its pretty hard to trim the whole box without joins, especially with the curved edge at the rear.

Atik
25-08-2009, 09:51 AM
My amp is mounted, well stuck down, to the tray over the spare wheel and under the top folding carpet thing. Fits perfectly in there and never had a problem with it overheating in over two years of use (one year in my old GLS and one in the VR4).

My sub is only a small box, cheap jobbie from one of the local 'bass bins', which wont sit flush with the brace fitted. I have a fibreglass mould project running to get a sub mounted in the same left hand side area but I cant be bothered to continue with it.

And personally, the height of your current box would do me fine as I would still like to retain use of the cargo net hooks. Just gotta trim off the corner bit to make way for the brace.

VR4WGN
25-08-2009, 07:46 PM
sill question lol,um did you rescess the subs faces to clear the parcel tray lifting?our prototype we didnt nd the sub was in the way so we rescessed it now and she is mint lol

Atik
25-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I was thinking that too... because I have a grille that sits over the sub too! It would need much more clearance than just the sub.

jodykirton
26-08-2009, 09:01 AM
the current ones ive made have the sub recessed in the mdf, so the whole front is flat allowing the boot floor to be lifted out/opened up without hitting the subs, just clears it with about 3mm either side!
If you look on pic 3 you can see how ive strengthened the box front for the sub, then cut the front mdf fascia around the sub, then that gets sealed on every edge and screwed onto it and carpeted. the sub then slots into the hole snugly.

I could make it to a different spec to allow room for a grill, no problem.
/Banana

VR4WGN
26-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Atik looks like your set my friend lol!!! beats freighting one to you lol,if i wa scomming on holiday to UK id bring one in my big pink handbag but it might damage my scarf's lol

Atik
26-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Atik looks like your set my friend lol!!! beats freighting one to you lol,if i wa scomming on holiday to UK id bring one in my big pink handbag but it might damage my scarf's lol
Hahaha. Yep been in touch with Jody to get my hands on one of these. Will have to see how funds are next month before I commit as I have a few things that I need to spend my money on first.