PDA

View Full Version : Delete

andyleaves
25-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Have any of you ever heard of, you ready...

Water Delete & Carbon Delete?
What is it? What do they do? Any benefits?

confusis
27-08-2009, 05:44 AM
delete something?

bradc
27-08-2009, 06:27 AM
That will be from an american website then. I can only assume that water delete will be the windscreen wiper water bottle, and that carbon delete will mean carbon canister delete.

Basically it is done to save weight.

andyleaves
27-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Confusis; very funny. I get that...
Bradc, actually I found this on scoobynet...

does anyone know what size water pipes feed the throttle body?
decided to join pipes to delete heating at the t.b.
Why would there be heating at the throttle body?
Surely if this was colder it would be better?

bradc
27-08-2009, 10:34 AM
On a VR-4 probably yes, on a V6 perhaps not. A vortex will form at partial throttle and the throttle body could possibly freeze over. This won't happen on a VR-4 because the engine bay is so rediculously hot.

andyleaves
27-08-2009, 03:25 PM
So then not a good idea on a v6...

Dom B
27-08-2009, 03:34 PM
On a long closed throttle hill descent you would be surprised that the pin hole gap around the throttle body accelerates the air so much you can get ice on the butterfly even in the hottest engine bay. It rarely happens. A better solution would be to have a thermostat in line with the throttle body set at say 25degC. That way you avoid heating the throttle with full coolant temp dumping heat into the air being breathed by the engine. I suspect some normal cars benefit from dumping heat into the air charge if they often overheat lol.

Bat
27-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi,
Come winter it may be the only thing that stops your car shuddering to a stop, think ice cold air from I/C through a part open throttle...
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Turbo_Steve
27-08-2009, 07:10 PM
The minute the any intercooler, let alone that of a VR4, starts supplying ice cold air is the day I start running 400bhp - Whilst a cold day in sweden or alaska might neccesitate the throttle body warmer, it's pretty much pointless in the UK.
The exception to this is the idle control, which is operating when the system is stone cold and full of moisture. The minute you open the throttle butterfly, the air friction alone will prevent icing. Once you've used the turbos once, there is enough heat in the intercooler (oh yes, it stays hot!) to keep the temperatures balanced on a VR4, and indeed most turbocharged cars with an air/air intercooler. I've removed this on just about every car I have ever owned, and even on the coldest of winter mornings I have yet to have a problem.

andyleaves
27-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Steve does mean that you have diverted the hot water supply from the TB and just connected the two lines together?
Oh all well and good, however I only have a v6 :D

Turbo_Steve
27-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Andy.....Yes. On all my turbo'd cars I have simply removed all the pipes, and fitted a single loop-back. Interestingly, on two of them it's allowed me to run a whole extra degree of advance in a couple of points in the map.

kaiowas
28-08-2009, 07:25 PM
On the MR2s there is a hot coolant feed to the TB which is used to control cold idle. (There is a wax thermostat in the TB which allows air to bypass the throttle when the engine is cold hence raising idle speed). Now that the cars are getting on it's common for the waxstat to become defective giving a very high idle on cold mornings which takes ages to settle down, can be quite embarrassing sitting at traffic lights at 2000 rpm :D

Turbo_Steve
28-08-2009, 08:20 PM
That's only on the old 4AGE engines, though: the Mk2 and onwards use an electronic idle control valve like everyone else.

From memory, doesn't the 4AGE also have an ECU controlled valve?