PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur needs education

Barney
26-08-2009, 07:51 PM
It's difficult to appreciate something fully when you are struggling to understand what the hell people are talking about.

As a newbie, not only to this forum but also modern hi-performance tin, I have been slightly dismayed with my lack of knowledge about modern tuning and improvement methods.

I avidly read many posts about things I really know Sweet FA about. My comfort zone is rooted back in the lo-tech days of Weber DCOEs and Lotus Twin-Cams. "Shall I or shan't go for an electronic ignition ...."

After some head scratching, common sense and often guessing at commonly accepted abbreviations, I find I can begin to understand much of the technical talk but the high end discussion such as flashing ECUs is right over my head - but I don't want to be!

I've tried to check out the magazines but they concentrate on those already in the know.

Is there any resource available that will enable me to get up to speed easily with this scene (preferably in simple stages) so at least I know what people are talking about, and eventually actively participate in technical discussion?

Nick Mann
26-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Not that I'm aware of. There is stuff like how does it work . com or similar.

I have picked up most through talking to people on here - especially face to face at meets.

Ask questions if you're not sure - start a new thread rather than hijack another one if you think it is more appropriate. No-one here ridicules genuine questions from enthusiasts who crave more knowledge!

Davezj
26-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Barney and welcome to the club.

Ask and though shalt receive.

but only after doing a search!

Turbo_Steve
26-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I think most people have struggled with some aspect of the ECU thread :D

Ask us anything, and we'll tell you. If it's a stupid question, we'll tell you that too.

The Vee
26-08-2009, 09:01 PM
These forums along with the car itself will give you a wealth of knowledge. We all started somewhere and are all keen to share ideas how tos etc etc. Just ask - not a bad lot on here (!) and maybe we could even start a library thread on Q&As or similar for basics

aboo
26-08-2009, 09:07 PM
A Q&A section would be a good idea Vee as a lot of members including myself probably struggle with some of the tec stuff.

bradc
26-08-2009, 09:20 PM
On OZVR-4 we have this thread

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5717

The Vee
26-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Must get myself a sign on to the oz site. But I was thinking of something like a brief explanation of common parts ie dump valve, ecu, twin turbo ayc etc etc in simple terms what they do and maybe an idea of what can be done to them, if anything.

Bat
27-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi,
I've signed up to OZVR-4 and that write up looks VERY comprehensive.
I've not had chance to read through it yet though.
Cheers,
Gavin :)