PDA

View Full Version : Chat issues when logging in

Atik
27-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I keep getting this bug when I try to enter the chatroom. Get a blank screen as in the pic. Cant type obviously or see the chat, but I can hear the chat associated sounds.

Sometimes I have to re-enter 4 or 5 times before it works. Other times I cant get in at all, like tonight. 7 attempts, a reboot of the laptop and another failed attempt. :|

Confused
27-08-2009, 09:32 PM
We thought you were doing the Hokey Cokey, Atik!

in, out, in, out, in, out, shake it all about!

White Lightning
28-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Hmm, no idea on this Atik.

Does it only do this when you use Firefox?

Atik
28-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Not actually tried IE or any of the other ones. I use Firefox all the time. It happens everytime I switch networks I think - from my home network to my work network etc.

Been happening for ages. Normally its three or four fails then I get in.

White Lightning
28-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I switch networks I think - from my home network to my work network etc.

Can you elaborate on this statement Atik?

foxdie
28-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Atik, 2 things you might try;

1. Clear your cache, this is in the tools menu as clear private data, make sure to untick saved passwords, you don't wanna forget those if you've got them ;)

2. Check to see if there's an update to java / shockwave / flash for your browser

Maybe a long shot, will take 5 mins so maybe worth it.

Atik
28-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Basically I use my personal laptop at home and at work. I have my home network with both wired and wireless connection points. I have a wired network point at work.

I think the pattern of not being able to login is when I go from one network to another, the first few attempts always fail. But once I connect, its fine to reconnect on the same network, if that makes any sense.

Just now I tried Firefox and failed. Loaded up IE and it worked. Now tried Firefox again with a direct URL link to the chat instead of going through the forum homepage and it worked first time.

Either way its not a major issue, just annoying that I gotta keep retrying. But thought I'd point it out in case it is a website thing. Looks like its just me then.

White Lightning
28-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Looks like its just me then.

That does appear to be the case Atik.

How about just not going to work? That should resolve the problem :D

Atik
28-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Then I wouldnt be able to afford to spend on the car and we cant have that! I NEED to spend money on the car! lol

Turbo_Steve
28-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I would suggest you hold down CTRL when you click Open Chat. It should force it to pull down the flash script afresh.

I'd ask what firewall software you're using....if it's something like black-ice it will get in a right snit about different network connections.

Lillywotsername
29-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I have had the same issue this evening.... Not loading just getting the blank screen. Using FF

Beastlee
29-08-2009, 09:57 PM
occasionally I get it where the screen appears and then as soon as I type each of the boxes in it seem to minimise. The only way to fix it was to copy and paste then click on the Send button.
TBH The FlashChat seems ot be the worst chat application I have ever used and it's completely incompatible with things like the iPhone. I know from being here the last couple of years that it's often recieived complaints, could we look at alternatives?