PDA

View Full Version : legnum gearbox??

t0by
29-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone im new to this site,ive been looking at getting a VR-4.the legnum would be more suitable for me but dont like the fact that all the ones i see are auto/tip gearboxes,can anyone tell me whether they do the legnum in manual or whether a gearbox change is alot of bother on these,or whether the tip tronic works well ive heard its quite a slow gera change and also impossible to red line?any info on this would be well appreciated.Thanks!!

richy rich
29-08-2009, 07:37 PM
/Welcome there are few manuals around but must are tip.

AlanDITD
29-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone im new to this site,ive been looking at getting a VR-4.the legnum would be more suitable for me but dont like the fact that all the ones i see are auto/tip gearboxes,can anyone tell me whether they do the legnum in manual or whether a gearbox change is alot of bother on these,or whether the tip tronic works well ive heard its quite a slow gera change and also impossible to red line?any info on this would be well appreciated.Thanks!!

YOu can bounce it off the limiter in trip mode all day long if you wish, although i wouldnt recomend it :)

Beastlee
29-08-2009, 08:16 PM
A quick search and a read over the few hundred threads discussing this will put your mind at rest. many of us were manual maniacs before getting a vr4, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good the box is.

ianturbo
29-08-2009, 09:35 PM
i have a manual and its great !! but so are the tips so i am told !!:idea2:
ian

confusis
29-08-2009, 09:41 PM
why would you want to redline it? redline is past the torque/power peak
http://www.rpw.com.au/Photos/Customer%20Vehicles/Madhav%20Legnum%20Turbo/Dyno%20Stock%20with%20Mini%20kw%20V%20tq.jpg

ianturbo
29-08-2009, 09:52 PM
why would you want to redline it? redline is past the torque/power peak
http://www.rpw.com.au/Photos/Customer%20Vehicles/Madhav%20Legnum%20Turbo/Dyno%20Stock%20with%20Mini%20kw%20V%20tq.jpg
why would you not :evil3: :evil3: :evil3:
ian

pitslayer
29-08-2009, 10:43 PM
ian
Exactly as what he said, the car runs out of puff and all your doing is just reving for the sake of naff all gain....

As for the tip vs manual its done to death, but as I read teh other day
"The manual makes the car come alive" Whilst it annoys people I personally do not like the tip box, it wont change faster than a manual regardless of what people say, it is a very boring drive in tip mode and auto

Beastlee
29-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Exactly as what he said, the car runs out of puff and all your doing is just reving for the sake of naff all gain....

As for the tip vs manual its done to death, but as I read teh other day
"The manual makes the car come alive" Whilst it annoys people I personally do not like the tip box, it wont change faster than a manual regardless of what people say, it is a very boring drive in tip mode and auto

At the risk of starting a gearbox debate again I have to disagree. I admit the downshifts aren't the quickest and I it's the one thing I'd change but the rest of it is great. I spend a lot of time in Auto but as soon as I hit some twisties then I flick that lever across, drop it to 2nd or 3rd and play to my heart's content. once I've had my fun I flick it back and pootle again.
The best bit is you can never stall it at a traffic light race, saving you some embarassment.

bradc
30-08-2009, 07:50 AM
The auto boxes do cost more to service, you need about 12 litres at 14 pounds per litre every 20-25k miles.

I have owned 5 Legnums in total, 3 of them have been manuals, and guess which ones I own now? Yep, 2x manual VR-4's and 1x manual ST-R (basically a VR-4 with no turbos)

Beastlee
30-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Brad makes a good point with the servicing costs, it is something to consider, but thankfully you only have to do it every 18,000 miles. That can be extended with Amsoil.

With a manual you have to get an uprated clutch if you want it to last and they are £500+ each time.

amsoil
30-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Thr VR4 was well ahead of its time with the triptronic; very few top end sports cars / GT's are made today with manual boxes.

aboo
30-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4 t0by.

t0by
31-08-2009, 12:50 PM
ian

I agree, thanks for your replys lots of info,cheers!!