PDA

View Full Version : Second car?

Jimbo
24-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Anybody else out there use their VR4 as a daily runner?

Since getting it I've rued my decision to part-ex the V6-24, and now find myself looking on ebay for a cheap (comparatively) runner to use for commuting and daily chores.

It's not so much the cost of ownership, but more to do with sentimentality. I so much want to keep this car for as long as I can, and seeing the mileage clock up so quickly is depressing me! Also, driving the VR4 would never become routine and excepted - this way it would just be that little bit (more) special!

I worked out (somewhat roughly) that if I used a "daily runner" for 2/3's of the mileage, allowing for an extra insurance policy, tax etc, that I can save myself about £1200 a year in petrol, servicing and parts. :stunned: There's the second car right there!

Am I insane? :undecided

Nick Mann
24-06-2004, 07:28 PM
I worked out (somewhat roughly) that if I used a "daily runner" for 2/3's of the mileage, allowing for an extra insurance policy, tax etc, that I can save myself about £1200 a year in petrol, servicing and parts. :stunned: There's the second car right there!

:stunned:

How many miles do you do?

Jimbo
24-06-2004, 07:36 PM
I guess about 1000 a month.

I stress it was a rough calc....perhaps I missed summat......let me dig out my calcs.

enigma
24-06-2004, 08:39 PM
That sure is a saving! I couldn't bear it though! Having said that I am driving the wifes Punto to work while she is unable to use it! I think more of it as giving the car a rest after a hard weekend!

Jimbo
24-06-2004, 08:43 PM
This is what I worked out the other day....

VR4 ownership, 12K miles/year:
Petrol: £3000 (somewhat cynically at 16mpg @ 87p a litre)
Servicing x 3: £900-1200ish, say £1K.
Parts: £750 (Tyres, discs, pads, etc, assuming nothing goes BANG!)
Insurance: £900 :laugh:
Tax: £165

So about 5.75K a year, so if 1/3 of mileage then the petrol/servicing and parts saving is (very roughly): £3.2Kish

"normal" car @8000 miles/year:
Petrol: £850 (optimistically at 35mpg at 82p a litre)
Servicing: £200 (once)
Parts: £250 (maybe less)
Insurance: £400-500 (0 no-claims on second policy :sad3:)
Tax: £165, but most probably less.

....so about £2000 and therefore a £1.2K saving

How can that be? I've worked it out wrong, haven't I? :rolleyes5

Jimbo
24-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I have - £200 for servicing once, huh? I'd learn how to do it myself if I didn't care too much about the car....so, maybe £100-£150 more saved?!?!

simpsonm
24-06-2004, 09:53 PM
I use mine everyday, do bout 20miles a day. Costs me £40 a week in petrol.

Grinder
24-06-2004, 10:42 PM
These VR4s are a bit juicy then, eh!

Personally I would rather celebrate the mileage and lavish a good maintenance schedule on the car - it deserves it.

Having said that, I have a MG Midget to use in place of my main car. Doesn't depreciate, no road tax, very low insurance and very simple maintenance.

konman
25-06-2004, 12:58 AM
I use mine as a daily runner, do about 400 kms a week and put about $50 NZ in it every 5 to 7 days. I bought mine as a daily runner and long trip demon and I knew it was going to cost me heaps to run when I bought it... after driving every day since january I couldnt go to something else. I drove my father's primera the other day... what a difference... I couldn't wait to get back in the Legnum. Anyway I figure you shell out all those slides for a decent car you might as well enjoy it, and if it costs you some dosh to do this and you're worried about it you shouldn't have bought a VR4 in the first place. PEACE :-b

Jimbo
25-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Anyway I figure you shell out all those slides for a decent car you might as well enjoy it, and if it costs you some dosh to do this and you're worried about it you shouldn't have bought a VR4 in the first place. PEACE :-b

No, no konman, you misunderstand me. Don't take this as a compaint or a nervousness about high running costs - like you say, I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place if I didn't think I could afford to run it all year.

The thinking behind it was that I'm just wanting to preserve both the car and my enjoyment of the car - I don't want any mundane driving in it or be forced to take it places where it's in danger (supermarket carparks! :laugh: )

Mind you, my thoughts change and I've been thinking about what BDA said - I'll just miss driving it too much and end up using the "normal" car once a week, won't I?

Roadrunner
25-06-2004, 08:31 PM
I use my VR-4 for a 70-mile round trip daily commute and for almost everywhere else I go too - around 28-30,000 miles a year. I have a Fiesta that I bought so the kids could drive something and I could use it for the daily commute but it's not as much fun as the VR-4. The way I look at it, the VR-4 is really enjoyable to drive and I'll drive it till it stops, then either fix it or bin it depending on cost. There are other (equally fun) cars out there and I've had a few in the past so I expect I'll have a few in the future too. It has done around 85,000 miles but I do look after the mechanical side though - it gets dealer-serviced every 4,500 miles so, unless something seriously expensive goes wrong, I expect it to last some time yet.

Brian

Japmetal
26-06-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking about a second car - but not really from a mileage/pleasure sonservation point of view ! More to do with being able to do some more difficult jobs myself over a few days, than always needing to get everything done before I next need the car !

Also, cheaper running means more money for bigger mods and better power - which means even MORE enjoyment !!

KiwiTT
27-06-2004, 12:27 AM
I have been without it for a week or so (due to the recall :sad3: ). I really miss it.

The pleasure is using it as a daily-runner.

Some people buy cars and want to preserve them. Now let's see; why do cars have wheels. Oh that's right. To drive on. :D

I understand what you mean by "mundane" driving, (shopping, commuting, etc.) , but driving a VR-4 is never mundane. It changes what is mundane to most people to being exceptional. And you do know what I mean. Even a quick spurt feels soooo gooood; doesn't it.

SGHOM
27-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Even a quick spurt feels soooo gooood; doesn't it.
ooh err mrs !!! :$ :$ :lipsrseal

KiwiTT
27-06-2004, 01:52 AM
ooh err mrs !!! :$ :$ :lipsrseal

Interlec: You would see it that way :$ I'll need to watch how I say it next time. I hope everyone else saw what I meant

Jimdo: Maybe rent a car for a week to see what it is like before you buy.

Andy Goodman
29-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I've run my Legnum daily since importing it in '99 and have to admit suffering diesel desires when petrol headed to the 90 pence/litre mark, though the Supermarket price-war has temporarily quelled this deviance! :whip: I don't want to calculate the money Ralliart and the Red Zeb dealer's who've done the services have made out of me, even though I admit to 10000km intervals. :$ My concern at present is occasional lash adjuster rattle, and the Grand-plus I've been quoted :sick: could be the straw that breaks the camels' back. I may have to get another car if I try stripping the heads (re: that lancer link on cleaning the adjusters) because it'll take me some time with only a council lock-up for a service bay; but should I just spend the cash on the Legnum?? Ho hum, the joys of a 200000km supervan! :-D