PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller :help:

Wodjno
25-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone .. I know this threads been done b4 ( more than once ) :rolleyes: but i would like to know anyone who as fitted a manual boost controller to there VR4 (eg Turbo XS or TurboSmart) i have been trying to get mine fitted into the right pipes but with no success . ::help: :headsc:. I know if i could have got it sorted at the POD at the weekend that i would have nipped BIG DAVE into 2nd place :laugh: .. I could see the worried look in his eyes.. :uhoh2: He new if i got it sorted the outcome would have been different .. :mad: :Eyecrazy: Next time Dave .. :D ;) anyway back to my boost .. any info and pics would be great .. :)

enigma
25-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Whenever you are ready Glenn!

Let me know when its sorted and I will show you the way to the finish line!

:laugh:

Wodjno
25-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Whenever you are ready Glenn!

Let me know when its sorted and I will show you the way to the finish line!

:laugh:I'm suprised you had time to see it at that speed :rolleyes5
It's only a matter of time dave ;) Watching you lot hoof it up the track has got me revved up.. maybe it's time to throw caution to the wind and my bank balance :D ... And look at some serious mods ( BUT DONT TELL THE MISSUS ) :lipsrseal

enigma
25-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Nige (Wirdy) has a manual boost controller, give him a shout!

As for the racing, its very addictive, Derek is aready booked in for another boost increase and remap AND a nitrous set up! :lipsrseal

POP

Wodjno
25-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Cheers Dave .. Have PM'd Wirdy .. Hope he can help .. Talking of MODS i've gone and brought this :rolleyes5 http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/ee/69/ee_1_b.JPG .. not surehowto use it yet .. but i liked the look of it and it just sounded cooooooooool :cool1: .. What do ya reckon :thumb1:

:boing3: :D :mad:

enigma
25-06-2004, 12:30 PM
oooooh, that is some serious kit!

Wodjno
25-06-2004, 12:39 PM
:huh: IS IT ??? does that mean i might make my car go bang ?? I think i'm gonna have to do alot of homework :rolleyes5 .. and spend a bit more money :sad3: to get it fitted properly .. But i just liked the look of it .. still not sure exactly wot it does :laugh: But hopefully it will make my car go better .. if i can't get it to work i'm sure you find a use for it on PROJECT VX :-D I'll keep you posted ..

enigma
25-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Yep! Essentially it is a piggy back fuel computer, use it to fiddle with your injector signals and provide more or less fuel. Do lots of homework, or get it fitted properly!

I keep thikning about installing the emanage I bought, but Graham worried me a bit with claims of gearbox failure!

Wodjno
25-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Maybe Its Not To Late To Send It Back :thinking: :Eek1: :uhoh: :Eyecrazy: :Scream1: :stunned:

zentac
25-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Ive started to fit my Apexi, should finish it this saturday but basically....

Please remember mine isnt a standard VR4 so your setup may be different. Weve done away with ever pipe that wasnt needed.....

Heres what Ive done so far....

"DELETED"

Too difficult to explan...I will take some pics this weekend, as Ive not done it the way the manuals says I should.

SGHOM
25-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Nige (Wirdy) has a manual boost controller, give him a shout!

As for the racing, its very addictive, Derek is already booked in for another boost increase and remap AND a nitrous set up! :lipsrseal

POP
not so much a boost increase Dave, more to get the power maximized in each gear. I could fiddle with the boost controller myself, & hope to get the best out of it, but I think it may be better done whilst on the rolling road. :rolleyes:
It may cost me £100 or so, but I want Nobles to get the best out of my turbo's, without breeching the limit.
As for the nitrous.................. I'll post a new thread later !! I've a few questions to ask ! :$

Wodjno
28-06-2004, 08:05 PM
WELL i got the boost controller in the right place thanks to WIRDY.. :thumb1: (thanks Nige ..diagrams much appreciated) .. BUT !!! .. It wont take boost past 9.5 psi settling back to 8.75ish :sad3: .... have to resign myself to drivin the slowest VR4 in the club.. :end: (missus is sitting at side of me taking the p!ss ..doin violin noises the lot ).. biatch... :Scream1: I'm gonna have to wait til my f-con and hks boost controller comes :rolleyes5 :boing3: :evil2: ... see what i can or cant do with that .. Thanks for everyones input .. much appreciated ... :D

enigma
28-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work as expected, but that is still a fair bit over standard and should be more than noticeable!

Are you just guessing with the boost levels or do you have a peak hold? And please dont tell me you are straightlining it with your eyes on the gauge?!! :lipsrseal

Wodjno
28-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work as expected, but that is still a fair bit over standard and should be more than noticeable!

Are you just guessing with the boost levels or do you have a peak hold? And please dont tell me you are straightlining it with your eyes on the gauge?!! :lipsrseal
Don't be silly Dave :rolleyes: .. Wot do you take me for :dunce: ... It's a little bit more of a angled side on , straightish down the middle look .. :rolleyes5 ( with a wince ) :mad: .. I have laser guided pupils you know .. :laugh: ...When i put boost controller on it was showing 6.5 psi on the gauge .. which is what u said was standard boost was at the pod .... but nudged just over 7 on boost.. so my eyes aint to bad and the gauge is reading fairly accurate .. Anyway thanks for your sympathy dave :-D And watch this space :p

wirdy
28-06-2004, 10:37 PM
.. BUT !!! .. It wont take boost past 9.5 psi settling back to 8.75ish

Very strange??....is the controller new? & how does the adjuster feel( smooth up & down ,etc) could be an air leak on the boost pipes? Do you have a dump valve that's opening far too early?

If you can't get it working properly & you think it's the controller at fault remember mine cost just £16 and is a pnuematic cylinder control valve in it's alternate life ;) & will quite happily hold as much boost as you need.....perhaps a little too much at Castle Combe though (1.1bar + fuel cut..oops) have turned the wick down a bit since then.

Wodjno
28-06-2004, 11:13 PM
funny you should mention the blow off valve :huh: .. Cos mine is still the OEM one but (maybe it's just my imagination ) but , i'm sure it sounds louder than before and sometimes i think that it cuts in a bit to early :thinking: .. i'm sure that sometimes i can here it releasing pressure on acceleration :uhoh2: :wtf: .. dont know if this is possible ... :rolleyes5 Its a Turbo xs , controller .. had it about 2 and a half years .. had it fitted to Rover 620 ti and worked great all the way upto the c c c c c c cut o o o o off :laugh: :boing3: .. of the fuel cut defender .. !! not that i ever took it that far .. :noshake: :Eyecrazy:

wirdy
28-06-2004, 11:31 PM
That was to be my next suggestion - if you blank off the pipe that goes to the wastegate actuators T-piece , then take the car out for a very careful drive with a very careful right foot, you should be able to slowly increase the boost in a high gear at lowish speed to get 1.1bar plus & a definite fuel cut. That would check for air leaks & dump valve malfunction. A bit risky though if you have any concerns about your boost-cut solenoid working or not.

Trouble is these cars accelerate so bleedin' quickly it's hard to check out anything that involves keeping something like boost static for even a couple of seconds!!