PDA

View Full Version : choices, choices......

danwins224
03-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I have been offered 2 Galant vr4's, first one is a '99' silver facelift manual £3795, the other a '96' silver P/F auto £3600, both are unregistered fresh imports, In an ideal world I'd go for the facelift but the big problem is.

Facelift = type v (no AYC, hi-vis, etc)
P/F = type s

I prefer the facelift although wouldn't turn down a P/F, so if it was your money what would you choose, and why?

White Lightning
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I like the pre-facelift and the facelift in terms of shape. And having now owned both I prefer manual over auto. That said, it's a shame it's a Type-V with no AYC.

What about the PFL manual on Pistonheads for £4295? That looks like a good buy to me ...

White Lightning
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
This one http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1175919.htm

Nick Mann
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd go for the manual facelift out of those choices. The AYC is not essential for driving enjoyment!

andydckent
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd think that many people would go for the facelift because of the manual gear box and improved front end. However with out assessing both of the cars in person it would be impossible for me to give and opinion.

The one thing I will say though is that there is nothing wrong with the PFL auto's. The price perhaps seems a little steep for the PFL one, they are trading from £2000 but again it maybe worth the extra depending on the condition of the car.

Turbo_Steve
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I'd respectfully suggest that AYC will make it quicker point to point than a manual gearbox ever would! It knocks about 3 foot of the back of the car!

bradc
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I'd respectively suggest that you're wrong Steve :)

Unfortunately there is no ideal combo available for FL Galants, you can either have AYC or manual but not both unless you buy an auto then convert it.

mesobitchy
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
buy the PFL, do a manual conversion and get FL parts for it.
problem solved! :D

White Lightning
04-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Nope, you are all wrong :D

Buy a PFL manual (which has AYC), like the one that I linked to and then when you are feeling flush and fancy a change start putting the FL parts on it.

Turbo_Steve
04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I would be VERY interested to know what difference in lap times 20bhp for a manual against the massive improvement in power-on-exit that AYC offers.

I'd even hazard a guess that the reason the FL spec is AUto + AYC and Manual without is becuase they then lap a particular circuit in the same time.

shrew
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I'd have to side with Steve (again, clever clogs!)

the AYC system allows power application at and beyond apex's at much greater levels and to much greater extent, In My Opinion.

it is very confidence inspiring, and will ultimately encourage and allow greater corner and exit speed, and although auto / tip, the choice of ratios is very very good i think, and more likely to be in the right gear more of the time than a less than perfectly executed stick box, again, in my opinion.

i'm not stepping on toes for the VR4 manual owners, just bigging up the benefits of the AYC.

shrew

Roberto
04-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I would be VERY interested to know what difference in lap times 20bhp for a manual against the massive improvement in power-on-exit that AYC offers.

I'd even hazard a guess that the reason the FL spec is AUto + AYC and Manual without is becuase they then lap a particular circuit in the same time.

Does that not bring us back to the one Wayne posted, a manual with AYC???

Like mine, the best of both worlds, except mine is even better, being a Legnum.:lipseal

Gly
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
buy the facelift,

when you've saved some $$ get a LSD,

you'll end up with a stronger rear diff.

AYC diffs cost alot when you break them, (and so do autos)

the ayc cant be easily rebuilt, when the pump breaks down or starts to fail
(you can patch it with a adjustible press switch but thats just masking the problem) its replacement time.

bleeding the AYC is costly if you cant DIY.
auto fluid/flush is costly.

TC seals tend to fail in autos, and thats VERY costly in labour.

the manual boxes are very strong the weak point is the input shaft bearing,
but ive seen less of this than failed autos (TC/wave springs which is a full replacemet or rebuild)

id be buying the manual,
its a rarely car and IMO when it comes to resale the manuals are more sort after.

oh and im on my 3rd ayc rear diff in under 2 years of ownership,
if it happens again, s-ayc or LSD.