PDA

View Full Version : legnum gearbox leak AGHHHHH

thump3rvr4
04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
hi all, ive got a small problem thats getting more and more annoying as noone can seem to tell me whats wrong so im putting it out there.
Right, i have gearbox oil leak coming out of the right hand side (as your facing it) output shaft seal that the driveshaft fits onto. Now bear with me, I did have a small altercation with the output shaft when i replaced the engine i.e i dropped it and it ended up with a large chunk taken out of it. Also i had to replace the transfer case as after i took it apart to get the stuck output shaft out to get the gearbox off the old engine, i had no idea of how to get it back together lol. So a mate sourced me a new one but either the output shaft is the wrong one or the transfer cases are different from manuals to auto.
From what i can see, the output shaft is too long for the driveshaft that fits onto it and the seal doesnt sit flush and seal the gearbox.

Which brings me to the questions,
A) are the transfer cases diferent on an auto to a manual?????

B) If they arent, then why doesnt it fit?????

Now, after that long winded explanation. could someone please help with this annoying problm so i can finally drive the dam thing after 2 years off the road.

If You can help that would much be appreciated!!!!!

scott.mohekey
04-09-2009, 05:32 AM
The manual output shaft is about 10mm shorter than the auto output shaft.

thump3rvr4
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
The manual output shaft is about 10mm shorter than the auto output shaft.

Thanx for that, now why was that so hard for the idiots at the local mitsi dealer to answer

Cheers Mate

Nick Mann
04-09-2009, 08:39 AM
The shaft being referred to is the one that sits between the gearbox & transfer box, the end of it becomes visible when you pull the passenger driveshaft off it.

It will come out with a slide hammer.

thump3rvr4
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
yea the one you need to pull out when you take the gearbox off. i gatherd that one was longer on an auto, just gotta find a manual output shaft now, but everyone thinks they are made out of gold and charge the price for it