PDA

View Full Version : dual sub box with tweeters

sightless
04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
just picked this up today:guitarist

Im a bit fuzzled as to why there are tweeters in the sub box...
it looks like it has a cross over there, but if im feeding this thing the lower frequencys, how are they going to give it accurate higher?

Shall i just castrate them and give them the snip??

ZX-Audio
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes that is a 1st order high-pass filter with some damping which is BAD for subwoofer use!

Castrate the box and remove the tweeters, filter and internal wiring (looks like crappy quality wiring). Also replace the plastic side-panels with some rigid MDF ones...

sightless
04-09-2009, 07:28 AM
awsome, thanks.
Yes my plans were once i saw the inside to replace the cableing with some Monster cable goodness.
The woofers have some decent twist clamp connections. would you reccomend using them or soldering the cable to the supply cable from the coil?

It has a divider inside in the middle which I'm going to silicone seal all the way around.

Cardboard gasket for between the box and the edge of the speaker.

Considering blocking the port and packing it to make it sealed, although I'm not sure which would be better, the subs are rated power 250w 4ohm (although i may put to 2) 10" and it will be going into a Galant boot, facing the boot opening.

Turbo_Steve
04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Ah...a "boom box" rather than a Sub!

ZX has a point: the crossovers need to go!

sightless
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
can they be used for something else? My current front tweeters are not hooked up as after replacing the HU I had no cross over for them. Can i test what frequency range they work at?

Turbo_Steve
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
They won't integrate very well with your front speakers: I wouldn't bother.

What you MIGHT be able to do us use those cheap nasty crossovers as a stopgap to run your front tweeters, though if you have coaxial door speakers (i.e. tweeters already in them) then you will need to disable those or you will smear the stereo image all over the place.

ZX-Audio
05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Soldering is not needed. In fact a good clamped connection is better (lower resistance) then a soldered one!

Judged on your photo's the tweeters look like crap so don't bother using them. If you want to hook up your original tweeters again solder a 3,3 uF bi-polar capasitor in series with the tweeters.