PDA

View Full Version : New car arrived today

Rossco Type-S
05-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I imported this 2003 Airtrek, which arrived today. This pic really doesn't do it any justice - it is quite mean looking.

It has the following mods (that I know of) Ralliart exhaust and suspension, body kit, tv/dvd, apexi boost gauge and panel air-filter.

I drove it briefly today as it is not complied yet. It is very quick. Much quicker than the non-modified Airtrek Turbo I have driven. May have a boost controller or be chipped. Doubt and airfilter and exhaust alone can account for the difference in power. The torque at low revs is amazing, even compared to my VR4.

Does anyone know what boost an Airtrek Turbo runs stock? I have found conflicting info on the net.

Subaru ETA
08-09-2009, 08:03 AM
dont know the specs but they are great cars. poss replacement for the vr4

Rossco Type-S
08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
dont know the specs but they are great cars. poss replacement for the vr4

I will keep both in the meantime. Airtrek will be the daily driver though.

Standard specs for an Airtrek Turbo are 177Kw @ 5500 rpm and 343Nm @ 2500 rpm.

This one must be chipped, because it runs 1.0 bar (best I can tell factory is 0.75 bar - although I have read other figures on the net too) and does not have a boost controller, therefore given the higher boost and other improvements should be more like 200Kw and 380Nm

miller
08-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I saw one of these in the flesh so to speak in Liechtenstein recently. It was in sophia white and sitting on 18''s 6 spoke anthracite wheels. It looked absolutely gorgeous and will be on my list for next motor

Mike

Rossco Type-S
08-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I saw one of these in the flesh so to speak in Liechtenstein recently. It was in sophia white and sitting on 18''s 6 spoke anthracite wheels. It looked absolutely gorgeous and will be on my list for next motor

Mike

Are they not too common in Europe?

I will hopefully get some wheels like this for it soon:

miller
08-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Very rare over here!

pezza
08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I have only seen 3 of these in the UK but not very recently.

Great looking car, can only imagine what performance is like if its been modified.

VR4WGN
08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
used to date a gal in Hamilton whos dad worked at Mitsi caryard so i got to use any vehicle for Surfing missions and definatly the Trekki is a allround winner,expecially the leather trim version with all the whistles,heaps fo power too,and no bodyroll either

Spirit
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice looking motor mate

Goku
08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Yep, these things are great fun, esp on the track :D

Zitchu
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Theres a guy in Dunedin I think with one of these running around 400kw....

Rossco Type-S
09-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Theres a guy in Dunedin I think with one of these running around 400kw....

Yeah, he has some videos on youtube. he has done a 11' flat quarter mile and had tuned his car up to do a 10' flat only to get a boost leak on the way to the track. 6psi didn't give him much of a time.

Here is one of his vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqr25LWjfao

Car won't be road legal til tomorrow failed compliance on aftermarket brake pads and the location of the boost gauge and TV monitor.

pezza
09-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, he has some videos on youtube. he has done a 11' flat quarter mile and had tuned his car up to do a 10' flat only to get a boost leak on the way to the track. 6psi didn't give him much of a time.

Here is one of his vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqr25LWjfao

4k stall convertor :thumbsup:

That thing should be giving a cayenne turbo something to think about :upsidedow

miller
09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
wow that thing just gets better and better!
Cant find any for sale here.

pezza
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Haha I had a feeling that was coming next!

Rossco, so the compliance even check pads? Whats wrong with the boost gauge location?

Rossco Type-S
10-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Haha I had a feeling that was coming next!

Rossco, so the compliance even check pads? Whats wrong with the boost gauge location?

Compliance completely strip cars.

Yeah, the pads were aftermarket performance ones. They were rejected because they had no standard stamped on them as were a row of LED running lights that had been added.

He backed down on the boost gauge. But the monitor has to move because an airbag could catch it.

Rossco Type-S
10-09-2009, 06:51 AM

The fact it is powered by a 4G63T gives them a lot of room for easy improvement.

The gearbox is essentially the same as the VR4 5sp Tiptronic unit, except the torque converter is greatly refined and the ratios (esp 5th) have been tinkered with.

bradc
10-09-2009, 07:17 AM
The individual gear ratios are the same, but the final drive is longer at 3.333 rather than 3.684

Rossco Type-S
10-09-2009, 07:59 AM
The individual gear ratios are the same, but the final drive is longer at 3.333 rather than 3.684

That is different to reviews etc that I have read on the net but that sounds more realistic and I bet is correct. Gotta love journalists and amateurs that just make stuff up!

bradc
10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
As far as I know, all W5A51 ratios are the same, even the F5A51's (magna's) have the same ratios

miller
10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
More specs here. http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/mitsubishi/airtrek/2002_10/15848/

Come on Rosco...more pics pleeeeease!

Rossco Type-S
10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
More specs here. http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/mitsubishi/airtrek/2002_10/15848/

Give me a chance, I just got the car back from compliance 3hours ago and it was dark by the time I got home. I kinda took the long way..by about 40km

Rossco Type-S
11-09-2009, 06:35 AM

There you go:

miller
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
drooooooooool

That is beautifull!

Not one single one for sale in the UK :seeking:

Rossco Type-S
13-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Well having had more of an opportunity to drive the Airtrek...I'd have to say it is quite impressive.

Far better than the Leggy for "normal" open road and town drivng. That being said, with the foot down the Leggy comes into its own.

Fuel economy should be far better, especially on the open road, because at 100 to 120km/h the Airtrek is doing 2000rpm @ no boost, compared to 2,500+ rpm and boosting for the VR4.

Sounds like the Airtrek has an external wastegate that vents to atmosphere, but I can't see under the turbo to confirm (will be under it doing an oil change next weekend though). It would be strange if that was the case as it would have failed compliance. Can anybody explain what else could make a similar noise once full boost has been reached?

SquattingDog
19-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Well having had more of an opportunity to drive the Airtrek...I'd have to say it is quite impressive.

Far better than the Leggy for "normal" open road and town drivng. That being said, with the foot down the Leggy comes into its own.

Fuel economy should be far better, especially on the open road, because at 100 to 120km/h the Airtrek is doing 2000rpm @ no boost, compared to 2,500+ rpm and boosting for the VR4.

Sounds like the Airtrek has an external wastegate that vents to atmosphere, but I can't see under the turbo to confirm (will be under it doing an oil change next weekend though). It would be strange if that was the case as it would have failed compliance. Can anybody explain what else could make a similar noise once full boost has been reached?

Exhaust leak (gaskets, cracked mainfold etc) or the exhaust itself. My RVR (the older brother of this) has a wastegate sound when on full boost, but you mainly hear it outside the car through the exhaust, not in it like you would with an external.

Check what turbo you have on there, it should be a TD04-15T.

10psi is what my RVR came out with standard on the TD04, the exhaust and a pod filter brought it up to 12 - 14psi (depending on gear), and with the TD05 I'm running 15psi (100% injector duty cycle on factory 450cc injectors).

Change that interheater to an intercooler when you get a chance (front-mount). You will likely have to rotate the turbo to have clearance in the engine bay, however.

Good to see more people getting into these "people movers" ;). They're great cars and easy to mod (yay 4G63T + engine bay space).

Rossco Type-S
21-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Exhaust leak (gaskets, cracked mainfold etc) or the exhaust itself. My RVR (the older brother of this) has a wastegate sound when on full boost, but you mainly hear it outside the car through the exhaust, not in it like you would with an external.

Check what turbo you have on there, it should be a TD04-15T.

10psi is what my RVR came out with standard on the TD04, the exhaust and a pod filter brought it up to 12 - 14psi (depending on gear), and with the TD05 I'm running 15psi (100% injector duty cycle on factory 450cc injectors).

Change that interheater to an intercooler when you get a chance (front-mount). You will likely have to rotate the turbo to have clearance in the engine bay, however.

Good to see more people getting into these "people movers" ;). They're great cars and easy to mod (yay 4G63T + engine bay space).

I am going to get an engineer mate to look at it when he is free. After another trip or two on the open road I think it is just the internal waste gate "failing" when the revs get to high - around 5500 and 1.25 bar of boost.

Front mount intercooler is on my to do list. I am thinking a cheapie Evo 7 kit off trademe should fit with not too much modification.

It is hard to see the turbo with the manifold cover etc in place, but it appears to tbe the factory TD04

SquattingDog
21-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I am going to get an engineer mate to look at it when he is free. After another trip or two on the open road I think it is just the internal waste gate "failing" when the revs get to high - around 5500 and 1.25 bar of boost.

Front mount intercooler is on my to do list. I am thinking a cheapie Evo 7 kit off trademe should fit with not too much modification.

It is hard to see the turbo with the manifold cover etc in place, but it appears to tbe the factory TD04

1.25bar is about on the maximum you want to be running with that TD04. After that it will fall out of its efficiency range and you'll basically be over working it.

Evo 7 kit is what I used for mine, did require a couple of other pipes as there wasn't enough piping to begin with. Get it done custom, honestly. It won't cost that much more than a kit ($600 - 700 vs 400ish) and it will be well worthwhile.

The TD04 tends to run out of puff at 5500rpm, and you may notice a considerable drop in power at 6500rpm (eg revving out to 7k is pointless). Your mods may change this, but you definitely need to get that air temp down with a front-mount.

Sweet looking ride btw :)

Subaru ETA
14-11-2009, 07:41 AM
so how is the airtrek??

im thinking about going to have a look at this one -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-253686118.htm

Ryan
14-11-2009, 08:39 AM
That looks like a good specimen :thumbsup:

djb160
14-11-2009, 10:29 AM
So are they kind of like a perfected forrester? Damn that black airtrek looks cool.

miller
14-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Im watching with interest on relocating the Intercooler or interwarmer as it should be!

keith-b
14-11-2009, 12:29 PM
never seen one in ireland but there is one for sale

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/LANCER--/200946195822528/advert?channel=CARS

miller
14-11-2009, 12:32 PM
never seen one in ireland but there is one for sale

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/LANCER--/200946195822528/advert?channel=CARS

Nice example, seems to have a different grill and its the base model spec :scholar: Decent price too :pimp2:

We love ours more and more!

Mike

John TheAntique
14-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Do yopu think the "greatly refined" torque converter would fit in our VR4's? Just thinking ahead.

Rossco Type-S
03-12-2009, 07:32 AM
so how is the airtrek??

im thinking about going to have a look at this one -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-253686118.htm

Oops haven't been on for a while.

It is very good. Way quicker than the VR4, handling is a little better although not as natural as the VR4. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the mods.

Unmodified, they would be very closely matched but the VR4 would handle better and be quicker off the line.

Fuel economy around town is a lot worse than I expected. Only slightly better than the VR4, although I probably drive it a wee bit harder. Open road economy is a lot better though.

More refined than a VR4 too, but the VR4 has a far superior driving posistion and better feedback from the controls

Rossco Type-S
03-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Im watching with interest on relocating the Intercooler or interwarmer as it should be!

I haven't got around to it yet, the guy who will help me has been busy with wedding and honeymoon and getting his drag car ready.

Rossco Type-S
03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Do yopu think the "greatly refined" torque converter would fit in our VR4's? Just thinking ahead.

Not sure... but if you read this forum http://forums.evolutionm.net/other-cars/294314-my-airtrek-turbo-gt3540r.html you will find discussion from the guy with the YouTube videos I posted about the mods he did to his gearbox. Increasing pressure etc.

I'm sure that wil be of interest to Auto VR4 owners

Mark 4
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Yes, very interesting. Do you know where to buy the parts from ?

Rossco Type-S
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
A bit of an update:

The wastegate issue I thought I had appears to be a leaking factory BOV.

I am having the Cat. removed later this morning as it is shagged, and I am sick of the smell of sulphur.

Once I have got the boost leak sorted, the guy who built the 400kw Airtrek (which incidentally he is in the process of converting to manual) is going to reflash my ECU.

Also, apparently 18psi peak boost is standard on Airtreks (in 3rd-5th gears)

fuel
13-01-2010, 09:37 AM
the smell of sulfur is a sign the cat converter is working at its optimum, in case you were wondering.

if you ever need to get the car certed in the future, you'll have to fit the cat converter again in order to pass.

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 04:57 AM
went and had a look at this one yesterday -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-262182122.htm

its mint however someone else has dibs on it as they have paid for the AA inspection.

Had a look at a silver one today - very nice and very well price. They go very well and didnt notice any lag. id say they are compearable to a std vr4 in performace (that said i havent driven a std vr4 in a while!)

also keen on this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-265873863.htm

however it is still 6 weeks away from japan

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 05:33 AM
went and had a look at this one yesterday -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-262182122.htm

its mint however someone else has dibs on it as they have paid for the AA inspection.

Had a look at a silver one today - very nice and very well price. They go very well and didnt notice any lag. id say they are compearable to a std vr4 in performace (that said i havent driven a std vr4 in a while!)

also keen on this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-265873863.htm

however it is still 6 weeks away from japan

I like the Ralliart Kit in the second one. It will have the ralliart suspension to which is comparable to Evo 7 suspension.

Mine has no (noticable) lag now the cat is gone.

I reckon they feel significantly faster than a std VR4, but on paper they are supposed to accelerate the same. It may just be the mods to mine that make it faster. I have driven an unmodified Airtrek, but I didn't drive it too hard.

The best thing about them is that most evo parts are bolt on upgrades and the ECU is reflashable.

bradc
19-01-2010, 05:40 AM
where is the clutch?

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 05:51 AM
where is the clutch?

You have to add that yourself. Evo parts fit. I would imagine it is a lot of work though.

Here is a forum thread about a conversion:

http://www.mmc.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64039

Ryan
19-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Whilst not a vehicle I'd personally consider, they do look good - especially that red one /yes

I assume that there are no manual versions? /pale

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 06:30 AM
no manuals :(

the reason i am looking at them is that i want a turbo wagon. next month i have had the vr4 for 4 years and i had the legnum for 2 years before that. decided i want something different so that takes the legnum off the cards.

cedia turbo wagons are GDI..

i will never own a subaru so they are instantly off the cards!

stagea....enough said!

so really it does narrow it down to the airtrek. they look good and go very well!

i am probably going to look out for an evo 0 later on as a play thing

bradc
19-01-2010, 06:33 AM
What about an M35 Stagea? I drove one at croydon's and I was very very impressed.

Gly
19-01-2010, 06:34 AM
they just look to people mover-ish for my liking (rvr),

how bout a evo wagon :)

the newer stageas look ok (seen one lowred on dished rims, looked the biz), but still volvo-ish

VR4WGN
19-01-2010, 06:37 AM
has anyone viewed the new PC Mag?? on the subject of Stagea,there is a nice Stagea in there i doo really like,its the New front on it and looks grouss,, icant find images anywhere but can scan if you want,rego is DFTWGN from Aucks

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 06:38 AM
they are v6 arent they? they still look like a hearse

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 06:39 AM
lol - cant aford an evo wagon!

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 06:56 AM
What about an M35 Stagea? I drove one at croydon's and I was very very impressed.

They are too oddball parts are ridiculous for them.

I had a V35 Skyline until I wore a suspension bush on it. To buy the bush through Nissan I would have had not buy a whole suspension arm at $900. Luckily my dad had contacts and managed to track down a bush. After that I decided it needed to go just in case something else broke.

The skyline had no grip and awful suspension as well, can't imagine the wagon is any better.

VR4WGN
19-01-2010, 06:59 AM
thats the best i can do Dave...
Yes theyr a V6 Neo-tec as far as i last remember

bradc
19-01-2010, 07:02 AM
The one I drove was a 5 speed auto, V6 2.5L with a single turbo and 206kw. Something like 420nm of torque I think?

It drove very smoothly and the gearbox was just as good in tiptronic mode as a VR-4. I would recommend it to someone who has an auto Legnum and wanted something a bit bigger and newer.

There were a few cool features too such as two pull tabs on the sides of the boot that dropped the rear seats immediately and the glass can be lifted up seperately to the main part of the boot. Frankly, I'd buy one ;)

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:03 AM
thats the best i can do Dave...
Yes theyr a V6 Neo-tec as far as i last remember

Yeah they are 2.5 or 3 litre V6s with direct injection and variable valve timing etc.

The turbos are 2.5 with a single turbo.

I like the styling of the Autech versions, I am not sure if you can get a turbo one though.

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 07:05 AM
yeah that one Q has posted looks quite good. jess likes the airtrek tho and they are very well priced at the mo

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:06 AM
It drove very smoothly and the gearbox was just as good in tiptronic mode as a VR-4. I would recommend it to someone who has an auto Legnum and wanted something a bit bigger and newer.

I wonder if it has the same transmission as the 3L skyline I had. The tiptronic on it was crap, it was so restrictive on when it would allow you too change. Really smooth though.

That being said, Airtreks gearboxes are extremely smooth compared to a VR4

bradc
19-01-2010, 07:07 AM
You might be thinking of this one http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/NISSAN/STAGEA/10012145/index.html

350Z engine, 6 speed and RWD. It has small wheel arch flares

Subaru ETA
19-01-2010, 07:08 AM
agreed. the one i drove today i was giving it **** when it was cold - could even feel it change gear!

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:08 AM
yeah that one Q has posted looks quite good. jess likes the airtrek tho and they are very well priced at the mo

if you can you should get an '05. Supposedly they used alot of left over Evo 7 parts in the last of them. Whereas the older ones use parts from earlier Evos.

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:10 AM
You might be thinking of this one http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/NISSAN/STAGEA/10012145/index.html

350Z engine, 6 speed and RWD. It has small wheel arch flares

That is an Autech one. They come in a range of engines and can be AWD. Just not sure if tehy can be turbo.

When I had access to the Jap auctions they came up a lot, they were much more expensive than a plain one though.

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:13 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Nissan/Stagea/auction-264334647.htm

Autech Axis. here is one in NZ

bradc
19-01-2010, 07:14 AM
I suggest driving an M35 V6 2.5 Turbo Stagea Dave, I was really impressed.

bradc
19-01-2010, 07:15 AM
The 6 speed manual ones should not be 4wd.

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:17 AM
I suggest driving an M35 V6 2.5 Turbo Stagea Dave, I was really impressed.

What was the suspension like? Particularily the dampers. Did you go on any bumpy open roads?

bradc
19-01-2010, 07:18 AM
nahh, only around town and on the motorway. It seemed softer and more relaxed than a VR-4

Rossco Type-S
19-01-2010, 07:24 AM
nahh, only around town and on the motorway. It seemed softer and more relaxed than a VR-4

Yeah, so did my Skyline until you hit a bump...then you needed to change your nappies. And I had the sporty S collection model with the "good" suspension.

The suspension on them is tuned for US drivers and roads - which isn't good for NZ conditions. I assume the turbo models have slightly uprated suspension.

fuel
20-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I've driven a 300RS Stagea a bit and I find their ride very nice, quite comfortable but still quite firm. This one was riding on factory 17" alloys. I don't like the interior in them, it just feels way too plasticky and the dash layout really isn't the nicest. The 8G galant even though it is older has a better dash and interior I feel.

VR4WGN
20-01-2010, 12:32 AM
loving the Stagea now i must say,over an airtrek....

fuel
20-01-2010, 12:37 AM
I definitely like the exterior profile of the Stagea, one of Nissans best of late I reckon. But still that interior is horrible, and most of them are beige/tan cloth inside which is just yuck. It's not a nice place to be inside when you are driving that's for sure.

Ryan
20-01-2010, 12:49 AM
But still that interior is horrible, and most of them are beige/tan cloth inside which is just yuck. It's not a nice place to be inside when you are driving that's for sure.

Couldn't agree more. Typical Nissan IMO, big chunky square angled plastic which hasn't changed much in ~20 years?

Rossco Type-S
20-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Here is a mean looking Airtrek. Same body kit as mine, but better grill, wheels and colour. Pity about the high KMs.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Airtrek/auction-266693896.htm

fuel
20-01-2010, 05:57 AM
107k kms is HIGH? sheesh. It has averaged just over 13,000kms per year since it was manufactured, that's bang on normal use. I would be worried if an 8 year old car straight off the boat from Japan had super low kms. You're going to eventually turn it into a "high kms" car anyway so why pay the premium for such low kms to begin with?

miller
20-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Thats nice in black but not a fan of those wheels!

Subaru ETA
20-01-2010, 11:15 AM
well stagea is out....just showed the wife one and she flat out said no!

miller
20-01-2010, 11:20 AM

well that should make you happy, just proved she has got taste /megawoot

Ryan
20-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Let me guess, she saw the dashboard? :p

VR4WGN
20-01-2010, 09:03 PM
now now theyr not that bad!!!

you want ugly(not for me its not tho),how about a Toyota Will VS, i am purchasing one this year for a round town driver so i dont clock kms up on my lengums

personally i think theyr beautifull but im yet to find someone whom agrees with me lol

Ryan
20-01-2010, 09:23 PM
now now theyr not that bad!!!

you want ugly(not for me its not tho),how about a Toyota Will VS, i am purchasing one this year for a round town driver so i dont clock kms up on my lengums

personally i think theyr beautifull but im yet to find someone whom agrees with me lol

They are weird looking - kinda futuristic. I wanted to get a Wills Cypha for my wife but her friends said that they would disown her if she did /haz

chrisvr4
20-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I was thinking of getting a stagea as my next car until i approached a guy one night in mc donalds who was driving one, he said the parts are extremely hard to get so that put me off :( and also he said he paid £80 for a side indicator repeater??

maybe one day but until then my car hunt continues..............

Oh and here's a nice looking machine :)

VR4WGN
20-01-2010, 11:38 PM
damn that is sexc az

yea Rynan thats why i like it,the Diamond bum,the ever minimizing rear windows, theyr kinda cool

Rossco Type-S
21-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Damn! Would be nice with R35GTR running gear

Subaru ETA
21-01-2010, 10:14 AM
out of interest - the lancer GDI turbos anyone know anything about them?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer/auction-255816153.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Cedia/auction-262183601.htm

has anyone had any experiance with them? i would usually stay away from GDI but with the turbo are the different?

Rossco Type-S
25-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Just back from getting my Airtrek reflashed.

The starting point on the map was an Evo 7 GTA map.

Car is now around 180kw at the wheels on factory peak boost. Hard driving gear changes are now neck breakingly quick.

He also took me for a spin in his newly manual Airtrek. As he is still figuring out the ideal settings for it it was only running 18psi and no meth injection, but it is still making around 300kw at the wheels. Man it was fast.

Ryan
25-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Awesome! :D

miller
25-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Just back from getting my Airtrek reflashed.

The starting point on the map was an Evo 7 GTA map.

Car is now around 180kw at the wheels on factory peak boost. Hard driving gear changes are now neck breakingly quick.

He also took me for a spin in his newly manual Airtrek. As he is still figuring out the ideal settings for it it was only running 18psi and no meth injection, but it is still making around 300kw at the wheels. Man it was fast.

Good to hear that, its what im saving for. Benh has the maps all i need now is the moolah! oooh cant wait now!

Has your Airtrek got an aftermarket exhaust?

Rossco Type-S
25-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Good to hear that, its what im saving for. Benh has the maps all i need now is the moolah! oooh cant wait now!

Partly. The back muffler is the ralliart upgrade and the cat was removed and replaced by a bullet muffler a few weeks back. So basically it is all still 2.5".

I need a upgraded fuel pump before I can make any more power. Once I have that in, the guy is gonna make a few tweeks to get a bit more out of it.

Still need to do the front mount before my boost can be upped as well. Too much heat soak on the top mount.

miller
25-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Okay cool, i really dont want to mess with the exhaust but think that uplift in power is defintiley needed from stock.

pezza
25-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Hmm like that nissan estate!!! I could live with that rear too ...

Rossco Type-S
05-02-2010, 09:25 PM

If you have the map, you can do it yourself with EvoScan software, which is $US25 and a USB cable which is about $NZ80.

Link for EvoScan:
http://www.limitless.co.nz/

KHK
06-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Airtrek can be imported into NZ, why VR4 get banned ?!!!!

Subaru ETA
06-02-2010, 05:14 AM
because airtreks are not as old and meet frontal impact laws

fuel
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
8G Galants meet frontal impact laws, as do the facelift 7Gs too. But it's the emissions law which is now stopping them coming in, you'll notice the 'E' prefix before EC5W, that means it meets a certain emissions rating.. to put it in perspective the E classification has been around since the 70s, and only in the late 90s did they change to GF, GH, then LA, TA etc.

The goverment has already eliminated GF and probably GH too.

raph
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Very rare over here!

Yewp ,as far as i know, the Airtrek has a more aggressive Timing and Suspension compared to the regular Mitsubishi Outlander turbo
(what a silly name..outlander) think the Outlander Turbo only has 180 bhp iirc..and thev Airtrek has 240 ish +a different bonnet and side skirts etc.

Ryan
07-02-2010, 03:06 AM

I see you've got one now Dave :) Are you going to post some pics and a story about where you bought it?

Rossco Type-S
07-02-2010, 03:18 AM

It is the emissions laws that are the issue more than the frontal impact laws

Rossco Type-S
07-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Yewp ,as far as i know, the Airtrek has a more aggressive Timing and Suspension compared to the regular Mitsubishi Outlander turbo
(what a silly name..outlander) think the Outlander Turbo only has 180 bhp iirc..and thev Airtrek has 240 ish +a different bonnet and side skirts etc.

The US Market Outlander Turbo isn't a 4G63 either, it uses that awful 2.4L motor

Rossco Type-S
07-02-2010, 03:29 AM
I put a Walbro 255Lph fuel pump in today, which fixed the fuelling issues I was having after reflashing my Airtrek. The old pump was pretty well worn.

I had to go back to the factory Map at the moment though as I have a massive boost leak or two. The major one is the BOV, which was causing major issues at the tuned levels as it was sending 10+ psi back to the intake and confusing the hell out of the MAF. I have an Evo 6.5 BOV on the way.

There may be another leak at the throttle body seals. Apparently these fail at about 80,000kms on Evo 7 and 8s and Airtreks.

Ryan
07-02-2010, 03:47 AM
I have an Evo 6.5 BOV on the way.

I seem to remember someone wanting to know if that BOV was plastic or metal - can you confirm that material it's constructed of please? :) Your Air Trek sounds cool. Must be pretty cool to drive!

Rossco Type-S
07-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I seem to remember someone wanting to know if that BOV was plastic or metal - can you confirm that material it's constructed of please? :) Your Air Trek sounds cool. Must be pretty cool to drive!

Evo 6.5 is the same as a plastic Evo 7 or 8 one.

The evo 8 MR and 9 MR are metal. I may upgrade to one of those later.

Yeah, Airtreks go well (when they don't have boost leaks).

Subaru ETA
07-02-2010, 05:58 AM
I see you've got one now Dave :) Are you going to post some pics and a story about where you bought it?

will do as soon as i take delivery. i have paid the deposit for it. he is going to reg it tomorrow and i will pick it up tuesday after work

if you want to see it it is this one here -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-264028672.htm

Rossco Type-S
08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
if you want to see it it is this one here -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-264028672.htm

Just looking at the engine bay pic, you need to put that extra clip in where the intake clips to the bonnet otherwise the intake will try and attach itself to the bonnet at about 4,000rpm

Rossco Type-S
16-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I put a Walbro 255Lph fuel pump in today, which fixed the fuelling issues I was having after reflashing my Airtrek. The old pump was pretty well worn.

I had to go back to the factory Map at the moment though as I have a massive boost leak or two. The major one is the BOV, which was causing major issues at the tuned levels as it was sending 10+ psi back to the intake and confusing the hell out of the MAF. I have an Evo 6.5 BOV on the way.

There may be another leak at the throttle body seals. Apparently these fail at about 80,000kms on Evo 7 and 8s and Airtreks.

A bit of an update. I kind of got busy with other things, new job, wedding, renovating the house etc, so never really got anywhere with my car until recently.

Not long after this last post, the guy tuning my car fell ill and disappeared off the face of the planet (sadly, I believe he was diagnosed with cancer and died). So my car spent the last 2 years or so running a base tuning map and was under boosting, amongst other issues.

A few months ago I finally got it dyno tuned again. For some reason, the boost couldn't be set on the ECU so I installed a EBC with Hi and Low seetings. After tuning it was Dynoed at 161Kw at the wheels at 14.9 PSI (peak boost was 17 PSI) running 95 RON. I run the Low boost setting of 1.0 bar for around town driving.

I have since had the exhaust done 3" Dump pipe back. The ambient temp was 29 deg. when it went back on the dyno after doing the exhaust and I was getting massive heat soak on the interwarmer so the best power run we mananged was still 161Kw, although at lower boost. Desptie the dyno results, it definitely has more power and torque across the rev range since getting the exhaust done, but until I can get a clean run on the dyno, I can only guess how much. Extra bottom end torque is very noticable.

They are weird looking dyno graphs with peak torque at 2500rpm falling slowly right to redline.

I have a set of 560cc injectors to go in (factory are 450cc) and a 19T turbo compressor and I will finally do the FMIC intercooler conversion I planned a couple of years ago. The 19T compressor will flow quite a bit more air and is far more efficient than the stock 15T, so I would expect some decent gains in peak power and torque throughout the the rev range, once I finally get round to installing it.