PDA

View Full Version : Epic fail - ST-R auto

confusis
05-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Well we're stuck!

Trying to swap over a dead box+torque convertor on my ST-R.
We unbolted the transfer case, and used two long bolts to push the transfer case off. Basically it got to the point where the top bolt was all the way in and the bottom bolt snapped off the gearbox flange! Why won't my transfer case come off?

I'm going to try bolting the transfer case back on and using the dodgy slidehammer to try pull the shaft out. When it warms up of course (car's frosted over).

Help? I need my car fixed :(

peter thomson
05-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm afraid that's the reason I won't chance the bolt method now and use a slide hammer instead. You will be amased how easy the job will be with the slide hammer

confusis
05-09-2009, 09:40 PM
well luckily the broken mount is on the stuffed box :P

confusis
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
is there anything we could be missing which would stop the transfer case being forced off?

Davezj
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes.
from what i have read on here.
1. slide the transfere case back up to the gear box.
2. support the transfere case.
3. slide the shaft out with slide hammer.
4. transfer case will come off the back of the gear box with out any problems.

oh yeh i should have typed,
"do what pete said".

confusis
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
ok will have a go this weekend

Subaru ETA
08-09-2009, 11:35 AM
never had a problem doing it with the bolts. just gotta make sure you wind them in evenly

confusis
10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
hmm. should the transfer case slide back home easily? or even enough to connect a couple bolts? it doesn't want to move back. the bolts we used to push the box off have been removed btw

wintertidenz
10-09-2009, 02:41 AM
We had the same problem with putting my transfer case back on during removal of the dud transfer case... try and support the transfer case with a jack and then move it back in.

If you can't get it back in, support it with the jack as best as you can then use a slide hammer to get the shaft out.