PDA

View Full Version : Am I pushing it too far ??

SGHOM
25-06-2004, 11:54 PM
As I posted on an earlier thread, I'm going to get my boost taken up to the maximum 'safe' limit !! :rolleyes: & I'm also seriously considering nitrous as my next performance mod. [ which may be very soon ] do you think my gearbox will take it, or am I risking a bit too much ??
The boost & the nitrous should take me well over 400 BHP !! :-b :-b

pjjohnson
26-06-2004, 08:05 AM
What boost are you thinking of going to ?

If you're going the nitrous route, why bother with upping the boost, just use lots of gas and a bit more fuel. Easy and cheap.

I thought your gearbox was knackered anyway, so why not try it and see. Be a trailblazer in more ways than one - have you got your flamer yet ?

SGHOM
26-06-2004, 08:25 AM
exactly my thoughts Pete. I was going to let Nobles loose on it again, to up the boost whilst on rolling rd, & re-map also.
I may just go for the nitrous though. 25 shot at 1st, then 50....
then 75...................................then 100 !!!!

then the world !!! :$ :lipsrseal

enigma
26-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Dont do it Derek.........I dont want you to beat me!!! ;)

I ran 44BHP of gas set up completely by me. I am sure 25BHP will be a waste of time and effort! At least start with 50!

I have concerns over the gearbox, these have been stirred by Graham. But we both must be very close to where he is at and have not had the problems that he describes. Over revving when changing gear, twisted output shafts, doom and gloom. I seriously cant think that between us bods in the UK we have found a limit so easily. There must be loads of cars in Japan that have had more done than us that survive?

Go for it, whats the worst that can happen?

SGHOM
26-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I have to start with 25. thats the wizard of nos pre-requisite. then after at least one week of their static, & my track testing, I can up it in 25 bhp increments, at a cost of approx £40 per increase.
the insurance is £1 per bhp increase. I'm just waiting for a fax of the small print, so I can reasure myself regarding exclusions etc !!
As for the gearbox, I'm sure it took more hammer at castle combe on the race track, than it will on a short sprint up the strip ?? & they both survived then ??............ just :$

pjjohnson
26-06-2004, 03:01 PM
The gearbox cooler must help to some extent, and I understand a lot of auto problems are caused by excess heat.

But to go for 100bhp top of what you've got should be a bucket load of extra twist at high revs, so you'd better be prepared for some problems.

But hey - good luck to you and your wallet if you go for it.

SGHOM
26-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I spoke to wizard again today, & they know all about the galant/legnum, & what can safely be achieved. they reckon they've had 160 jets installed with no problem at all ?? :-b :-b
If thats the case, then Dave ought to start looking over his shoulder !! :$ :laugh:

enigma
26-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I spoke to wizard again today, & they know all about the galant/legnum, & what can safely be achieved. they reckon they've had 160 jets installed with no problem at all ??

OK so where are they??? Surely we would have stumbled upon them by now? An extra 160BHP looks like a low 12s pass............

Be very careful Derek!

pjjohnson
28-06-2004, 09:34 AM
The one legged wizard has seen a VR4 before because he's seen mine, but at that point he hadn't done one.

Like with you he was talking about going up in 25bhp stages, and the estimated top limit was pretty impressive, an extra 300bhp I think with extra fuel. In case anyones wondering, I didn't have it done.

The question is though, if he's done one or more VR4's to +160bhp, why bother easing things along in 25bhp stages ?

Is he still working out a farm yard

SGHOM
28-06-2004, 11:06 AM
1 x jet increase to 150 BHP = £40/50.
6 x jet increases to 150 BHP = nearer £300 !!
plus they take into account the safety aspect, I presume ? :rolleyes5
I'm going for it, I've decided !!!! & If all goes well, & they are true to their word, & the insurance gives me a little piece of mind, then I expect to be running at least another 100 BHP by the pod meet in October ! :-b

simpsonm
28-06-2004, 11:10 AM
To cover his own back I would assume he would take it that every car is different. If he took the assumption that its OK to bang xxxbhp straight away and Dereks engine goes bang, who pays for the damage?

If it's Derek then I would prefer them to do it a little at a time.

Dunno

Just my thoughts

enigma
28-06-2004, 11:45 AM
1 x jet increase to 150 BHP = £40/50.
6 x jet increases to 150 BHP = nearer £300 !!

This is why I have gone for the 6 nozzle option! Its a much better solution but much more expensive. All I need to do now is find some very fine jets to use in each nozzle!

For low BHP gains its probably not an issue, but for the big bang we are looking for.......... :lipsrseal

Rally205
28-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Manufacturers normally over engineer things like transmissions because of the abuse that they suffer so I would guess that they would build it to take about 50% more power.

If that is correct then the gearbox would take about 420bhp :-D Don't quote me on that though.

I would advise fitting a transmission cooler though.

-LegnumVR4-
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I have a transcooler on the car, only prob is it takes longer to heat up to running temp (shifts are a bit jerky for about 2 minutes). Cooler is about 400mm X 200mm. Over winter it takes the trans a lot longer to warm up.

Stock transcooler just runs thru the bottom tank of the radiator, its pretty warm down there, not as much cooling as the after market one. I think the factory one is designed to warm up the fluid quicker so the trans is smooth straight from the word go.

I've had my cooler on the car before i lifted the boost. Trans seems fine with the extra boost (but i dont run it all the time and treat the car with respect).

It will be interesting see how far u can go with the trans and engine:P

calum
01-07-2004, 10:40 PM
have you thought about putting a thermostat in?

Calum

SGHOM
01-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Manufacturers normally over engineer things like transmissions because of the abuse that they suffer so I would guess that they would build it to take about 50% more power.

If that is correct then the gearbox would take about 420bhp :-D Don't quote me on that though.

I would advise fitting a transmission cooler though.
I had a transmission cooler fitted whilst I had the car chipped by nobles. It didnt stop me cooking it at castle combe though !! :rolleyes5 :$