PDA

View Full Version : Legnum anti roll bar drop links

vixen1578
06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi

I need to replace the rear anti roll bar drop links on my Legnum.

1 Where is the best place to buy them?
2 Any idea of part numbers?
3 How do I do it?

Thanks

V

peter thomson
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Camskill stock them . Fairly easy job with a 14mm spanner and 14 mm socket to change them as long as they're not seized

Wodjno
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Camskill stock them . Fairly easy job with a 14mm spanner and 14 mm socket to change them as long as they're not seized

I would suggest a Small pair of Molegrips(Done up FT) to hold the rear nut instead of a spanner. There rears nuts seem to go soft and can round off. The Molegrips work wonders /yes

Cheers

Wodj

Dom B
06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Use single hex impact sockets on old nuts, usually works wonders. Normal Bi hex sockets are the work of the devil. lol

Dom B
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
PS if someone has the part numbers i can look through my new spares stock, i have a whole box of them somewhere for various mitsubishis, i'm sure i can do a deal. New OE parts in bag and everything if i have them.

Wodjno
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Use single hex impact sockets on old nuts, usually works wonders. Normal Bi hex sockets are the work of the devil. lol

You can't get a socket on the rear nut.. Only a Spanner..

Davezj
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
if the nut gets jammed on, you can just angle grind the nut off, as you are going to replace the droplink anyway.

well that is what i would do, if it the nut jams

vixen1578
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi

Thanks for the thought DomB but I had already ordered them from Camskills before I saw your post.

V

White Lightning
07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
If you buy the aftermarket Camskill jobbies then you need a 14mm spanner and a 17mm spanner or socket as they have a 17mm nyloc nut. I have a new set of these fitted on the white car.

The OE rear drop links have actually been redesigned now and they no longer have the open ended spanner fixing at the back (which can round off). Instead they have an allen key type fixing in the threaded part that the nut goes on to ... so, you hold the ball joint with the allen key and tighten with a spanner. If you get what I mean!

As you can tell, I have been messing about with drop links a fair bit recently. I have fitted the new OE ones on my purple car recently and I found I had to get the rear ARB off the car completely to remove one of the originals using molegrips as Wodj suggests.

Davezj
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
grind it, grind it,

Show me the grinder! LOL!

AlanDITD
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
The spanner sits agains one of the lower arms also so you dont have to hold both sides. Just let the lower arm stop the spanner turning. Makes life a bit easier.

But yes providing they havent siezed they are pretty easy to do

Davezj
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
If you buy the aftermarket Camskill jobbies then you need a 14mm spanner and a 17mm spanner or socket as they have a 17mm nyloc nut. I have a new set of these fitted on the white car.

The OE rear drop links have actually been redesigned now and they no longer have the open ended spanner fixing at the back (which can round off). Instead they have an allen key type fixing in the threaded part that the nut goes on to ... so, you hold the ball joint with the allen key and tighten with a spanner. If you get what I mean!

As you can tell, I have been messing about with drop links a fair bit recently. I have fitted the new OE ones on my purple car recently and I found I had to get the rear ARB off the car completely to remove one of the originals using molegrips as Wodj suggests.

how much were the OE rear droplinks as i will be needing so of them soon.

White Lightning
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
how much were the OE rear droplinks as i will be needing so of them soon.

About £70 for the pair IIRC ... if I remember, I will check the invoice later.

vixen1578
29-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Everything went smoothly and the new drop links are on. I didn't need the angle grinder, but if I could have got hold of one I would have used it. Saves hassle.

It is so much easier when you know what you are doing.

Thanks again.

V

Subaru ETA
02-10-2009, 08:02 AM
angle grinder?? bloody bush mechanics! lol WD-40 works wounders

White Lightning
27-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone got any ideas where I can get some small molegrips ?!?!

I decided to inspect my front ARB droplinks this morning - as I still have not located the source of my knock. I found that the passenger side one had seen better days (the top ball joint was fine but the bottom one didn't feel to clever) so decided to replace both.

Unfortunately, Mitsi can't get me some replacements until Tuesday (leaving for Dover on Wednesday!) and I can't get the drivers side one off at the moment (been trying for an hour!). I have 'cracked' the bottom connection but can't it undone. The bit that you hold with the spanner to stop the ball joint turning has gone soft and is now pretty much rounded off with my attempts to hold it and my molegrips won't squeeze in the gap between the nut and the ball joint to grip it without it spinning!

edit: and before Dave suggests it, I don't have an angle grinder ...

Wodjno
27-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Machinemart do a 3 pack .. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht116-3-pce-lock-grip-pliers-set

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht352-3-pce-lock-grip-plier-set

Dunno if u got a Machinemart near you Wayne ?

PS.. Don't go for the straight nosed type.. As they don't grip securely around the nut..

White Lightning
27-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks Glenn. It looks like the nearest Machine Mart is Twickenham but that's not an option today as I've only got Kate's car for an hour or so before she goes back to work. Looks like these might do though:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_23 2501_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Wodjno
27-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks Glenn. It looks like the nearest Machine Mart is Twickenham but that's not an option today as I've only got Kate's car for an hour or so before she goes back to work. Looks like these might do though:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_23 2501_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

They look ok Wayne.. /yes Look fairly narrow so should fit on..

Ensure u WD40 and wire brush the threads before removal.. If it starts getting tight then wind it back on a few turns then clean up the tread again if there any staill showing and WD40. An extra bit of effort on cleaning can stop a lot of headache and hastle with Angle Grinder and new nuts..

Cheers

Wodj

White Lightning
27-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Cheers Wodj.

The 'grip pliers' from Halfords fitted but they were absolutely useless. The metal was too soft in the grips and all I managed to do was destroy the teeth. Needless to say I will be going back for a refund.

Fortunately, my next door neighbour had some Teng grip pliers that fitted and that got it moving enough for me to then get my big old grips in there and then I got the sucker off.

I shall be ordering some new nuts to go with my shiny new drop links on Monday to avoid any repeats in the future ...

Now, time to inspect the tie rod ends ... what can go wrong /lol