PDA

View Full Version : GReddy e-manage

steelie600
09-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Anybody tried it?? Your thoughts?

just looking for a cheaper alternative for the time being as will fit a vipec or a motec when i put fresh engine in

Turbo_Steve
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
To be honest, you'd do best to manage without if you're going to fit a Motec later.
Wodj will be along to tell you that an EMU is a suitable replacement for a standalone in a bit...and he will have something of a point.

It depends what you're trying to achieve. I am not much of a fan of Piggybacks.

steelie600
10-09-2009, 12:13 AM
all i wanna do steve is stop the criminal over fueling thats going on at the minute!!! my engine will be about a year till fitting so untill then i need a re map or piggy back

Turbo_Steve
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Well you're going to struggle to stop it.
An e-manage or something similar will allow you to pull out some fuelling in Open Loop mode, so it's not quite so juicy when you're foot is on the floor, however the main problem on VR4s seems to be fast cruise: if you want to sit on the motorway and use a sensible amount of fuel, you only seem to have two options:

1) Proper replacement ECU
2) Drive at less than 70mph.

Cruising at 80mph uses inordinately more fuel than cruising at 70. Cruising at 90 is ridiculous.
Generally, any piggyback will only modify the MAF signal. Something more advanced (e.g. the EMU) will be able to alter ignition timing, and possibly drive the injectors directly, however it doesn't have any kind of throttle compensation map. Your best bet would be to run a fair amount of injector compensation, and then put this back into the MAF correction map at higher loads. This carries an element of danger, however, as you are effectively choosing to run the car leaner than the ECU, and then let the lambda sensor adjust fuelling on cruise and your piggyback maps adjust for throttle. I wouldn't want to do it without a minimum of a permanently fitted wideband. Should your lambda sensor fail, the car would immediately start to lean out on cruise.

By the time you've spent £400 or so on an EMU, and then £100 - £200 on a decent wideband setup, plus all the effort messing about with it getting it how you want (i.e. take a big lump of fuel out of everything and then try and put it back in where it needs it) you are rapidly coming up on the £1300 ben wants for a Vipec fitted and mapped. When you start fitting your modifications, it will be a LOT easier to tweak the Vipec than the EMU.

Wodjno
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Something more advanced (e.g. the EMU) will be able to alter ignition timing, and possibly drive the injectors directly, however it doesn't have any kind of throttle compensation map.

Is that the same as an Acceleration Adjustment Map ?

steelie600
10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
steve good point well made!!

ill get the vipec then

BEN!!!!!!!!

Turbo_Steve
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Is that the same as an Acceleration Adjustment Map ?

I'd say it's similar, if not the same. Chances are it uses different vectors (perhaps load change delta instead of TPS) but the net result is the same.

I take it the EMU has this, then? In which case, throttle changes can be leaned out. Does the EMU allow you to modify the transition between open and closed loop as well? (presumably by having a nice load/rpm constant ignition map and driving the injectors direct)

:3d:

Wodjno
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd say it's similar, if not the same. Chances are it uses different vectors (perhaps load change delta instead of TPS) but the net result is the same.

I take it the EMU has this, then? In which case, throttle changes can be leaned out. Does the EMU allow you to modify the transition between open and closed loop as well? (presumably by having a nice load/rpm constant ignition map and driving the injectors direct)

:3d:

Yes it does Steve..
Yes it allows you to alter Fuel and Ignition to smooth out the transition from closed to open loop.

Heres the full of maps for the EMU..

Map's

Airflow Output Map - Previously labeled “Airflow Adjustment Map” is now “Airflow Output Map”. This can now used to eliminate the factory airflow meter. This is done by directly inputting voltage or frequency in to this map.
Anti Engine Stall Feature - The 8 adjustment cells are now upgraded to 16 cells, for even finer adjustment.
Injection Adjustment Map - Fuel trimming in the previous system was achieved by adjusting the “Airflow Adjustment Map” which could also affect the ignition timing. The improved “Injection Adjustment Map” is used to trim and add fuel directly by controlling the injector signal, therefore it will not affect the ignition timing at all. (However with an internal jumper setting change, the system is still able to trim the fuel by adjusting the airflow signal like the previous unit)
Acceleration Injection Map - Like the “Injection Adjustment Map”, the “Acceleration Injection Map” can trim fuel by controlling the injector signal. This is used if it is necessary to smooth rapid transitions to wide open throttle.
Individual Cylinder Injection Adj. & Individual Cylinder Ignition Adj. Maps - It is possible to correct uneven combustion between cylinders, by fine tuning each individual cylinder for more advanced tuning.
Vehicle Speed Correction Map - Inconsistencies due to differences in vehicle speed (difference in load) can be corrected with this map.
Coolant Temp Correction Map (Must be Selected with Knock Signal 1) - When the ECU Coolant Temp Calibration does not match the e-manage’s tuning, this map is used to tune the system at various temperature ranges.
Intake Air Temp Correction Map (Must be Selected with Knock Signal 2) - When the ECU Intake Air Temp Calibration does not match the e-manage’s tuning, this map is used to tune the system at various temperature ranges. This map is also be used when eliminating the airflow meter on a vehicle equipped with a hotwire type airflow meter.
Rev Limiter Cut - For vehicles with a fuel cutting controlled rev limiter, this feature will drive the injectors past the factory rev limiter. *This feature will not work on vehicles with rev limiter controlled by ignition cut.
A/F Target Value Map (feedback tuning function) - By inputting target Air Fuel values in this map, “e-mange Ultimate” will automatically make corrections to the “Injection Map,” if an A/F meter (*high quality) is connected to the Auxiliary Output signal. This feature can shorten the tuning time.
Ignition Adjustment Map - The “Ignition Adjustment Map” can accurately advance ignition timing by controlling the crank angle / cam angle signal.
Acceleration Ignition Map - Ignition timing can also be corrected for a rapid change in the throttle opening rate for a smoother transition into wide open throttle.
NVCS Control Map - NVCS (Nissan Valve Control System) can be controlled with out the need for NVCS Adapter 1.
Analog Output Map - This feature can be used to eliminate the factory boost cut function on vehicles that are equipped with both an airflow meter and a pressure sensor (i.e.: FC3S, Subaru). Also, on some vehicles, the factory feedback range can be adjusted by outputting a corrected throttle position signal.
Auxiliary Output Map - The fixed 4x4 map on the previous unit is now a fully adjustable 16x16 map. Set your own "ON" and "OFF" conditions.
Idle Stabilization Map - If the factory idle control valve is a solenoid type valve, this map can vary the valve’s duration to adjust the injection rate. This is used when eliminating the airflow meter.

Turbo_Steve
10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Kewl...and it's not batch injection either, so you can run the rear bank a little richer :D

I also didn't know that if you connected a wideband up the Auxiliary Output(?? I assume that's a translation error of Input) that you can build an AFR map: that's quite a high-end feature and massively useful!

Will you be coming to visit me once your play-toy is fitted, Wodj? :D

Wodjno
10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Kewl...and it's not batch injection either, so you can run the rear bank a little richer :D

I also didn't know that if you connected a wideband up the Auxiliary Output(?? I assume that's a translation error of Input) that you can build an AFR map: that's quite a high-end feature and massively useful!

Will you be coming to visit me once your play-toy is fitted, Wodj? :D

Yes individual injector adjustment is possible.

Like i said..

It's a Non to shabby piece of kit for the pennys :iagree:

Eurospec
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
steve good point well made!!

ill get the vipec then

BEN!!!!!!!!

LOL! Is it auto?

Cheers,

Ben.

steelie600
11-09-2009, 12:11 AM