PDA

View Full Version : Droning Noise From Fronts

Wodjno
27-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I recently changed 2 of my tyre's cos i had a near miss blow out on the rear .. Put new tyres on front and old fronts to rear .. I must admit i never went for a decent make of tyre ,cos i was thinking of getting new set of wheels and tyres when existing wore down .. So i got some budgets , supposed to made by Yokohama but different name to tide me over .. Not a good idea i think now!! Since i have new tyres put on , when turning on a tight corner i am getting a droning from the front wheels (and quite a loud one ).. is this hopefully something to do with ayc ??? cutting in .. ?? cos i have noticed when it is wet that my traction on the fronts is "CARP"... i can steer it on the excelerator like a front wheel drive car .. never had a problem b4 tyre change .. Do you think this is tyre related or maybe something else that has started at same time as tyre change .. i have run these tyres down the pod with no adverse affects but this is of course in a straight line .. Only had tyres on for about a week b4 pod so never gave them any stick until after ..

Spirit
27-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Initital thought from droning and that it happens when turning would be wheel bearing to me - I have some play in my n/s one at the moment and have one on back order but even that is not droning at present.

What's the road noise like on the motorway ? Is it considerably more than before - I noticed a big improvement when I swapped to my Eagle F1's

Wodjno
27-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Initital thought from droning and that it happens when turning would be wheel bearing to me - I have some play in my n/s one at the moment and have one on back order but even that is not droning at present.

What's the road noise like on the motorway ? Is it considerably more than before - I noticed a big improvement when I swapped to my Eagle F1's
Can't say i have noticed any differece in road noise , but only travelled back from the POD and had 3 kids in car AND THE MISSUS :rolleyes5 .. so probably wouldn't have noticed if if an ATOMIC BOMB had dropped :laugh: .. OH apart from the melting of my car and my face :stunned: .. will give it a try out on the parkway later .. But none of this was apparent until i changed the tyres ???

RED
27-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Sounds like it could be due to the tyres if this is the only thing that you have changed. It doesn't sound like a big deal just swapping tyres but you'd be amazed at how much it does affect it. The fronts wear differently to the back and visa versa. You may even find that some of that noise is coming from the back end as well. I always think its a good idea to replace the same make with the same make as long as your'e happy with them that is. I had really bad road noise from my tyres when I first had the car. They weren't a matching set and they weren't that expensive either - not that expensive tyres are always the best but at the end of the day you pay for what you get. In the end I upgraded my wheels to 8x18's and had some Toyo Proxes fitted - road noise what road noise :hurrah:

Wodjno
27-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Sounds like it could be due to the tyres if this is the only thing that you have changed. It doesn't sound like a big deal just swapping tyres but you'd be amazed at how much it does affect it. The fronts wear differently to the back and visa versa. You may even find that some of that noise is coming from the back end as well. I always think its a good idea to replace the same make with the same make as long as your'e happy with them that is. I had really bad road noise from my tyres when I first had the car. They weren't a matching set and they weren't that expensive either - not that expensive tyres are always the best but at the end of the day you pay for what you get. In the end I upgraded my wheels to 8x18's and had some Toyo Proxes fitted - road noise what road noise :hurrah:

I think maybe I'll stick the backs, back to the front ???? :rolleyes5 I'm sure that makes sense to someone out there :huh: ... To see if it rectifies it, as the ones on the rear are the ones that were originally on the front ??????????? :laugh: Now I'M Confused .. I'm sure you get what i mean .... anyway i'll try that and let you know what happens :Eyecrazy:

The Vee
30-06-2004, 06:48 PM
As you know wodj' i've had a lot of problem with this. It does sound like the change of tyre to me. As Spirit says you are getting the symptoms of a wheel bearing but it is normally a more gradual onset. The galant would appear to be a noisy car in general (as far as tyre/road noise is concerned) and will show up noisy tyres more than most.

Roadrunner
30-06-2004, 07:30 PM
when turning on a tight corner i am getting a droning from the front wheels (and quite a loud one
OK, one simple thing to check first - if the noise is only apparent on full lock, check that the tyre/s aren't fouling the plastic inner wheel arch - new tyres will have a diameter of around 10mm more than worn ones which might just be enough to touch the inner arch (and it does sound loud).

Secondly, how worn are the tyres you put on the back? Best advice is that there should be more than 4mm difference in tread between fronts and backs otherwise you risk torqueing up the centre diff. Similar reason for not having significantly different tread depths side to side too if you have a limited slip diff.

Hope this helps.
Brian

P.S. Nothing wrong with cheaper tyres, btw, as long as they're the correct size and load rating for the car, they shouldn't cause you any technical problem (but they may not grip as well as premium tyres, especially in the wet ...)