PDA

View Full Version : Hi........ and should I be worried?

PocketRocket
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi guys, I've recently gone from a Honda CRX VTi (2-seater with electric hood) to a Mitzi Galant 2.5 v6 24v estate automatic (not much difference eh?)

I've been looking through the service papers and noticed that in January this year it stated that there was a leak in the power steering pipe and gearbox. However, on the MOT in July they just reported light dampness around both parts??

It pulls like a train, goes through the gears smoothly & is nice and light in the steering.

So as the title suggests, should I be worried???

Thanks

Pete

aboo
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4.

The steering leak could just be the gaters. My VR4 does that & its not to bad but I will be fixing it soon.

I'm no expert but I had a small leak from the gear box just before the torque convertor seal went but it may be sometime else.

Bat
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi,
On the service they will report everything that they could charge you for repairing. The MOT just checks the testable items. It would have to be a serious leak to fail the MOT, from the steering as g/box isn't testable . Have you got any advisory note from the MOT?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Gowf
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
The gearboxs usualy do have a bit of seepage, as long as its not dripping from where it mounts the engine as that may be your torque convertor seal.

With the P/S it may be the PS cooler itself. Ive seen a few leak due to abrasion, they are at least nice and easy to sort.

PocketRocket
12-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi,
On the service they will report everything that they could charge you for repairing. The MOT just checks the testable items. It would have to be a serious leak to fail the MOT, from the steering as g/box isn't testable . Have you got any advisory note from the MOT?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Thanks for the responses fellas. The advisory notes state general oil leak from engine/gearbox, need steam clean to identify source. However, that was over 3k miles ago?

The next service isn't due until Feb '10 and I have full warranty cover (kicks in Jan '10), so as long as it lasts 'til then it's all good!!

elnevio
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
/Welcome2

Keep your eye on the oil levels :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
13-09-2009, 09:08 AM
As above really! One thing to check is that the pipes themselves aren't becoming porous. My PS fluid started seeping through the flexible hoses near the reservoir. A couple of lengths of fuel injection hose and the jobs sorted.

Davezj
13-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi guys, I've recently gone from a Honda CRX VTi (2-seater with electric hood) to a Mitzi Galant 2.5 v6 24v estate automatic (not much difference eh?)

I've been looking through the service papers and noticed that in January this year it stated that there was a leak in the power steering pipe and gearbox. However, on the MOT in July they just reported light dampness around both parts??

It pulls like a train, goes through the gears smoothly & is nice and light in the steering.

So as the title suggests, should I be worried???

Thanks

Pete

Hi and welcome to the club.

your description of the leaks is very vauge and without more detail you will only get vauge answers.

have you had a good look round it to see where the leaks are coming from get under the car to check. The gear box is a big lump and a leak could be coming from just about anywhere on it, including pipework, some places are more critical than others.
as for the power steering leak there are part of the system in front of the radiator (power steering cooler), power steering pump at the pulley side of the engine and steering rack at the back of the engine, so it is on 3 side of the engine bay and that is a big place.

need more detail, to be of any more help.

I-S
16-09-2009, 03:01 PM
As above really! One thing to check is that the pipes themselves aren't becoming porous. My PS fluid started seeping through the flexible hoses near the reservoir.

My GDI had that problem, from the cooler end of the pipe. Just kept topping it up until I ditched it....