PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas - Transmission????

Barney
11-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Legnum VR4-S

Low speed turning i.e. pulling away sedately at a roundabout - first to left then to right; awful mechanical grating coming from the front of the car, engine losing power to wheels, feels like front end dragging on ground, car steering feeling like it is misaligned (uneven power?) resolves itself when going straight again if you have the bottle to carry on.:furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3:

3rd week of ownership :undecided .

Any suggestions willingly accepted

foxdie
11-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Very loose suggestions, either front diff or one of the front axles?

bradc
12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Or perhaps the TCL/ASC system coming on?

AlanDITD
12-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Legnum VR4-S

Low speed turning i.e. pulling away sedately at a roundabout - first to left then to right; awful mechanical grating coming from the front of the car, engine losing power to wheels, feels like front end dragging on ground, car steering feeling like it is misaligned (uneven power?) resolves itself when going straight again if you have the bottle to carry on.:furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3:

3rd week of ownership :undecided .

Any suggestions willingly accepted

I had this on a prelude ages ago, it was the spider joint in the split shaft, basically the drive shaft was knackered. Not sure if legnums/galants use a split shaft but i would start there. Visually you cant see it.

If they dont use a split shaft then that will be no help anyway.

steelie600
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
sounds to me like a shaft is spinning in the box on the output splines, or maybe popped off the clip that holds it in the box. But im just speculating. Get under the car and check the driveshafts for play, security in the box and the same at the rear and report back.

Barney
12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Or perhaps the TCL/ASC system coming on?

Hmm: I have been seeing the occasional TCL light with Eng Mgmt light and once the ASC red light.
Also had the AYC bars in the first 100yds of travel come up on a straight bit of road doing 15 mph. I put it down to unstable road condition as it was full of dirt/gravel due to builders in the road.
However, the symptoms explained are severe, you'd swear that there was a piece of chassis fallen off in front of the car's front wheels and the car was being skewered by it- it is that bad.

Brad, would your suggestion have such a dramatic effect?
Barney

Barney
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
sounds to me like a shaft is spinning in the box on the output splines, or maybe popped off the clip that holds it in the box. But im just speculating. Get under the car and check the driveshafts for play, security in the box and the same at the rear and report back.

Kev,
I have managed to get the car to AP motors - we'll see what they come up with. Thanks for the suggestion - as reported there is grinding steel involved so should leave a trace somewhere.

Barney

Davezj
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
just for my 2p worth i would say it is stripped spline on a drive shaft, probably innner cup.

and from the sound i would say drives side if i am not misaken.

second hand drive shaft need me thinks. it is only a guess but that is my guess.

rep point for me if i am spot on, but i would have to get the side right to worent any rep points. if it passenger side i deserve nothing LOL!

Barney
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
just for my 2p worth i would say it is stripped spline on a drive shaft, probably innner cup.

and from the sound i would say drives side if i am not misaken.

second hand drive shaft need me thinks. it is only a guess but that is my guess.

rep point for me if i am spot on, but i would have to get the side right to worent any rep points. if it passenger side i deserve nothing LOL!

I'll let you know - Thanx 4 input

Barney
15-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Still no reply from Kev at AP Motors.

Will be taking a short break so cannot update for a while

Davezj
15-09-2009, 11:31 PM
good luck!

bradc
19-11-2009, 09:50 AM
So how is this going on now? I know you're still having problems. I was surprised to see you changed the gearbox, I really do think it still sounds like an ASC problem.

Whoops never mind: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44361

Barney
19-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Brad,

I have the steering sensors and a few more bits for the ASC coming tomorrow. Hope this will not be a false dawn but fingers crossed!

I'm committed to getting it right before I go back to sea for 4 months. I should be back before May and a sedate trip around the 'ring, if the club is going in May.

Thanks for the interest. Its surprising just how mechanical the sound and feel of driving against the front brakes can be. Would never have believed it to be the brakes initially, but it has given me a better insight(if not understanding!) into some of the Mitsu systems.