PDA

View Full Version : FS: 4G64 GDI Throttle Body

ryanjames.powell
13-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a throttle body for a Legnum/Galant 24VientoGDI 1999 or newer, suit 4G64 GDI 2350cc engine. Fully electronic (no throttle cable). Bought to solve my low idle problem but it wasnt the problem. Offers please.

VR4WGN
13-09-2009, 09:10 PM
i know what your problem was!!! 10mm worht of carbon buildup in the plenium ay??

ryanjames.powell
14-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Actually don't know, still didnt solve it. The car idles around 500 or less rpm a lot of the time and it makes it vibrate. It also uses a bit of oil, which I'm told is stuffing up the sensor readings so the idling problem cant really be fixed because of that.

crazydriver81
14-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Your problem is the usual GDI problem: carbon residues on the valves and the intake plenum.

Mitsi invented a system for Europe to clean dirty GDI valves. It is called "blastering". They take off the intake manifold, turn every cylinder on highest compression point and clean the closed valves with a mixture of compressed air and walnut shells (no joke!).

Best thing to avoid the problem: close the EGR valve witha small aluminium plate instead of the gasket which is there

cheers
Stefan

VR4WGN
14-09-2009, 08:28 PM
funny you say that!! i came across a few wrecks that had this platre in the Valve lol...
um Ryanjames.powell try taking the plenium off and acid bath it, then try new spark plugs,maby a new ETV unit aswell as this is a common fault...do you find that sometimes your throttle doesnt work or is VERY delayed??

ryanjames.powell
15-09-2009, 06:51 AM
funny you say that!! i came across a few wrecks that had this platre in the Valve lol...
um Ryanjames.powell try taking the plenium off and acid bath it, then try new spark plugs,maby a new ETV unit aswell as this is a common fault...do you find that sometimes your throttle doesnt work or is VERY delayed??

Hi VR4WGN, I have new spark plugs already, so that isn't it, my throttle actually works fine, the whole car is brilliant apart from the shaking when it's idling, it performs perfectly well at all other times. It's a pity you can't adjust the idle manually on these, that would solve all annoyances straight away. What's an ETV unit by the way? I searched it on Google and it came up with a whole lot of stuff that had nothing to do with cars...

VR4WGN
15-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Electronic Throttle Valve

ryanjames.powell
16-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Electronic Throttle Valve

Oh, then the ETV is part of the Throttle body that I have tried replacing (hence trying to sell the spare). Throttle body consists of Electronic Throttle Valve and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

ryanjames.powell
16-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I think I'll try removing the intake plenum at least, maybe the whole intake manifold, when I have some spare time and cleaning that. What do you mean by acid bath? What sort of acid?

VR4WGN
16-09-2009, 11:05 AM
heheheh um the intake plenium is the large alloy unit,that is the manifold aswell lol,um remove that,and all the plastic add-on bits to the plenium and take it to a Engine Rebuilder for an Acid Bath,theyll leave it in a Bath overnight that will bring it out spotless inside and sometimes outside too,its bout $50 so its cheap as chips,youll be amazed at how good it goes after.... then chuck a new Fuel Filter in the car aswell and thenan injector cleaner too,youll be goooooooood

ryanjames.powell
17-09-2009, 06:26 AM
heheheh um the intake plenium is the large alloy unit,that is the manifold aswell lol,um remove that,and all the plastic add-on bits to the plenium and take it to a Engine Rebuilder for an Acid Bath,theyll leave it in a Bath overnight that will bring it out spotless inside and sometimes outside too,its bout $50 so its cheap as chips,youll be amazed at how good it goes after.... then chuck a new Fuel Filter in the car aswell and thenan injector cleaner too,youll be goooooooood

Oh, when I was saying plenum, I was talking about the big plastic box on the opposite side of the manifold to the air intake/throttle. I have a workshop manual and that's what it calls the intake plenum resonator.

ryanjames.powell
17-09-2009, 06:29 AM
I have removed the plastic box (plenum resonator) and stuck my finger inside the manifold, there's a heap of crap in there all right, but nowhere near 10mm, more like 1-2mm and a bit thicker on the bottom, cos I guess it settles there. Worth getting the manifold removed and cleaned?

crazydriver81
17-09-2009, 09:45 AM
definitely! :)

Think of closing the EGR valve with a small aluminium plate before re-installing the cleaned manifold. Be careful with the throttle body when taking off.

Btw, you will need new gaskets for the intake manifold and the throttle body. ;)

ryanjames.powell
17-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Not too sure about needing new gaskets. I have already had the throttle body off and it has a metal gasket so is reusable, My mechanic has said that the manifold possibly has one too, so may also be reusable, but he needs to find out first to know how much it will cost.

VR4WGN
17-09-2009, 11:09 AM
it has a steel gasket too,so use it carefully,yup still get it bathed man,you def notice the difference lol....,um and in future keep the revs up high so this will minimise the carbon buildup inside ok

ryanjames.powell
17-09-2009, 10:18 PM
um and in future keep the revs up high so this will minimise the carbon buildup inside ok

lol I usually do... :P
I think a lot of the problem is that it had 20000km in NZ and 100000km in Japan before I owned it and the NZ owner probably used 91 octane. I use only 98, it runs so much better and they are specced to run on 100+
It's goin in on Wednesday to have the manifold off and they will see how the ports/valves look too. Should be interesting to see.

On a side note are you willing to make a fixed price offer on that tan leather interior? and are you coming any further north of where you are any time soon? I'm in Waihi. How much to get the aluminium kick panels to me?

VR4WGN
18-09-2009, 06:30 AM
pm me and we can discuss my friend