PDA

View Full Version : Did they do a Super saloon?

carlos-1975
15-09-2009, 10:39 AM
just found this
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/833956/range_rover_swap_for_my_mitsubushi_vr4_2_5_v6_twin _turbo_very_fast_/
looksnice is it a super?

Nutter_John
15-09-2009, 10:41 AM
yes they did do a saloon super (looks better than the fat arsed leggy :P )

Atik
15-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I think that may be Ian's old car? If it is, back away now...

carlos-1975
15-09-2009, 10:47 AM
why dude is it a lemon

ritch_w
15-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Ian had all sorts of issues. He swapped it (was honest with issues) for a supra.
some how the car ended up down south (birmingham?) and has been advertised on and off for at least 6 months or longer......

I think Ian now has a vectra (!?!?)

elnevio
15-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Defo Ian's old car. Search for posts by 'Big Ian'. :thumbsup:

White Lightning
15-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Yep, and it's currently advertised on PH too.

PaddyB
15-09-2009, 12:00 PM
"... recent new T5 turbos ..."
Does anyone know what these could be (apart from the obvious bogus claim)??

"... however must be seen as photos dont do it any justice ..."
Must be really difficult to do justice to the papier-mache back end in a photo /Devil5

Red intake plenum - hmmmmm.

WildCards
15-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Red intake plenum - hmmmmm.

Yeah, that looks quite smart actually, bet it'd be a bugger to do well though.

elnevio
15-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Stuff that! Just get a big engine cover to hide everything!!

Oh wait, that's a bonnet! /pan

Turbo_Steve
15-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Veilside Body Kit!!!? Uprated ECU! This advert is a work of fiction! Grrr it makes me so angry.

andydckent
15-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Its one of the extremely rare type R's as well... /Wyhy

steelie600
15-09-2009, 03:47 PM
if mine had all them mods and only put out 270bhp id be a bit disappointed!!!

anyway pigboy whats wrong with a lardy arse??

elnevio
15-09-2009, 03:54 PM
What mods?! All I see is a cone filter sapping power, and an SS exhaust (which will at least be helping the flow though)...

Not sure what has been added since Ian's ownership, although it's been a little while since he last posted... :(

steelie600
15-09-2009, 04:22 PM
t5 turbos??? Obviously this guy , seeing that he is the o-r ackle of cars would have had it setup to run such beastly turbos

WildCards
15-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Would a spell check have gone amiss?

Big Ian
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Guy's .. the link ain't working now but yeah it's my old car .. think it's still the only saloon Super VR4 in the UK?

last time i heard from the present owner he was looking for a new gearbox, then i saw it advertised saying it was in need of gearbox work but still drive's fine?

i'd stay clear unless the price drop's well below £1200 i got well stung when i bought the Super :( i just wanted a VR4 badly at the time! it's had a heavy shunt to the rear O/S corner, AYC pump was knacked, noise from rear diff, realy, realy bad fuel cut .. ive forgot all the fault's, also nearly every picture the guy use's to help sell/advertise the VR4 are my pic's from my car domain site. i swapped it for a MKIV Supra N/A to which i later found out was a repaired salvage car .. so i swapped the Supra for a mega mint 2002 Vectra .. sold that and i now drive a MK3 Golf 2.8 VR6 which will have a super charger attached in 2 wks

peter thomson
09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Ian long time since you've been around. That will be a very interesting Golf with a supercharger under the bonnet.

Big Ian
09-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Peter .. some VW Corrados come standard with the super charger fitted, it's quite a straight forward fit .. just finding some of the mounting part's was a pain! lol
my car is about 202BHP in standard form (at the fly) the corrado swap boost the fly BHP to 248. wheel BHP should rise from 174 up to 212-220 bhp depending on the intercooler i go for?

if anyone has ever driven a Golf VR6 they'll know the power feel's so much more than the factory figure's claim, my standard 2.8 can sit quite happily at 118mph in 3rd gear and still have 1200rpm to go before the rev limiter (private testing ground ;) )
god know's what it'll be like when the S/charger is fitted? might be a good time to stake some share's with TOYO i think

Big Ian
09-10-2009, 11:57 PM
PS: it would also be a good drinking partner for a VR4 .. fuel computer say's i'm getting a steady 30.1 mpg .. lol i'm lucky to get 100 mile's for £20!

some pic's of my latest toy: http://ians.photoblog.org.uk/c1747034.html

peter thomson
10-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Very nice. You'll definitely need some good tyres with that power through the front wheels.

ANTHONY
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
looks a nice car Ian

Big Ian
06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
so :D .. no-one want a mega rare super saloon VR4 yet then??
http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1357737.htm
&
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/933316/_modden_car_or_range_rover_wanted_mitsubushi_galan t_vr4_2_5_v6_twin_turbo_300bhp_very_fast_/
& the advert with all my picture's lol!
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/933316/_modden_car_or_range_rover_wanted_mitsubushi_galan t_vr4_2_5_v6_twin_turbo_300bhp_very_fast_/

someone go see it and put the guy straight "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!"
hand him £1000, take it home and save it :thumbsup:

giblet
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Its such a modden car, why would he want to sell it? :p

I do like the kit, is the spoiler a "super" one as well or is it just an evo one? Wonder if he would sell the skirts, splitters and spoilers seperatley!

Big Ian
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Its such a modden car, why would he want to sell it? :p

I do like the kit, is the spoiler a "super" one as well or is it just an evo one? Wonder if he would sell the skirts, splitters and spoilers seperatley!

it's full "Super" spec (real deal) spoiler, skirt's, red carpet etc .. .. is it still the only Super VR4 saloon in the UK?

White Lightning
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
someone go see it and put the guy straight "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!"
hand him £1000, take it home and save it :thumbsup:

I would have it for £1000 and then rip out the Recaros and the Super bodykit bits for mine :d

But then that would be a shame :(

And AFAIK this is the only genuine Super saloon in the UK.

peter thomson
16-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Now on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBUSHI-GALANT-TYPE-S-VR4-TWIN-TURBO-RALLIART_W0QQitemZ270502573142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA utomobiles_UK?hash=item3efb35b456

BEANY
22-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Yo People On Here Well For One I Own The Silver (super) Vr4......

1,well, I Have Only Written On My Ad What I Have Been Told About The Car As I Didnt Even Know Theses Existed Till I Got Offered One Last Year, Soz 4 The T5 Thing It Was A Miss Print I Was Ment To Say It As 2 New Turbos Fitted??

2, All The Work As Obviously Been Carryed Out B4 As I Drive It Every Day To Work And For Fun On Wk-ends? No Whining Rear Diff, No Fault With Lack Of Petrol Etc..,

3, Also Instead Of Slagging It Off Why Dont U Help Us Out??

4, Is It A Super Vr4??

5, What Bhp Are They Standard?

6, Also If U Still Have A Problem On Ur Mind Plz Contact Me?

7, And If Any 1 Local To Birmingham With A Vr4 Plz Get In Touch As I Would Really Like To See Both Cars Side Bye Side??

Thanks 4 Reading People!!

Beany

Atik
22-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, welcome. At the end of the day, its your car and if you are happy with it, then fair enough.

1. New turbos? Can I ask where you got these from?
2. OK
3. In the past people have tried to help 'unknowing' owners and not had any positive experiences.
4. Yes it is a genuine Super VR4
5. They are 260 bhp standard
6. I'm sure people will. If you ask for help here, people will help.
7. I am local to Birmingham, but mine is a Legnum (estate). PM me if you are still interested in having a look at it.

foxdie
22-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Beany, I'm the friend that Tom spoke of, I'll try and discuss some of your questions

1). That's understandable and acceptable, they're not well-known cars, but you may wish to correct your ads at your earliest convenience, it could come back and give you grief later on.

2). If we come and look at the car tomorrow evening, we'll be sure to give it a good thorough check and point out anything that's wrong, at least then if it doesn't sell you'll have a better understanding of the cars issues and will be able to handle them better :)

3). Trying to do that right now, but please don't have a go at the others for trying to ward people away from a car that has bad history, they just care that people get the best

4). By the sounds of it yes, it's pretty much one of the few original Super VR-4s still around. Bear in mind though, it's super in name only, it's all superficial upgrades, no performance upgrades

5). The Super VR-4's, from my understanding, were always pre-facelifts, so it left the factory at 260

6). I'm sure people will, you've taken a big (and brave) step in posting here, so I for one have more respect for you from the get-go

7). If we come look at your car tomorrow, you'll get to see mine, nearly the same as yours but in dark purple and doesn't have a big whale-tail on the boot ;)

Thankyou for posting Beany :)

foxdie
22-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Bah, Atik beat me to it ;)

BEANY
22-12-2009, 02:56 PM
OH AND TURBO STEVE= Veilside Body Kit!!! WHAT I WAS TOLD?? MY BAD!

BEANY
22-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah Thats Fine Foxdie Its Just That People Slag It Off Wen They Have Only Ever Seen Photos And Some Poor History Of The Vr4 On Here, However Its All Working Fine Now So Unless U Can Tell Me More?? Cheers Speak Soon

BEANY
22-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Atic.., Hi m8 not sure there again its all wat i have been told about this car, ill be happy to meet u and talk more about these cars, how could i get hold of u?? cheers

Atik
22-12-2009, 03:17 PM
It is not a Veilside body kit mate. It is a standard Mitsubishi body kit made specifically for the Super VR4.

I will be hopefully doing some work on my car next Monday with Gowf (another club member and VR4 owner). You are more than welcome to pop around to have a look/chat.

BEANY
22-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Oooooh, ok like i say ime only saying what i have been told!!
yeah ill be happy to meet u then, were is it? ime birmingham (halesowen) cheers

giblet
22-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Gotta say, fair play for joining up and trying to get more info on the car. Atleast that way you can correct the ad and get more people interested in it. I really want that spoiler! Good luck with the sale :)

Gowf
22-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Beany, you have a PM

Turbo_Steve
22-12-2009, 08:13 PM
As has been said - well done for joining up and getting the facts straight! Good man!

foxdie
24-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Went to see this last night, and fair props to Beany, he seemed genuine and friendly.

Unfortunately, the car wasn't as welcoming, here's the good and bad;

Good

It looks stunning, clean and cared for in terms of bodywork and interior
He recently replaced the brakes, they stop the car on a penny
He's cared for it as best he can, running fully synthetic oils (but not Amsoil sadly)

Bad
Car is very noisy to drive (compared to mine), lots of rubbing / effort, I couldn't fully test the rear diff because of bad weather
Auto gearbox slips out of gear a LOT, to the point where I nearly wrote his car off (coming out from a junction, it jumped out of gear, I was stranded in the road with a car approaching me pretty quickly, fiddled with the gearstick and got it working just in time). It seems to be the moment the auto box knows it needs to change from 1st to 2nd, it'll still say it's in D but there'll be no drive until you let your foot off the accelerator, then it re-engages. Once you're past 2nd it seems fine.
The AYC light is permanently on, and connecting up a OBD cable the following lights were flashing much slower than the rest:

AYC
Engine Management Light
Traction Control
One of the gear lights, I think it was neutral, I forget
Beany asked me not to push the car too hard because apparently this forces the air hose connecting to the throttle body to pop off, I respected his request but I don't know if this is just due to a perished rubber seal or another underlying problem.

With Beany's prior authorisation, here's a brief EvoScan log with the car stationary after the test drive. I couldn't take one whilst driving the car because the driving conditions were dangerous and I didn't want to put either of us or his car in any danger.

EvoScanDataLog_2009.12.23_20.49.47.csv (http://trackmygps.co.uk/files/EvoScanDataLog_2009.12.23_20.49.47.csv) (Right click -> Save as)

My opinion, and Beany's not gonna like this, the car needs more money spending on it than the cars actually worth and / or what he's asking for it, this really is a shame because it's apparent Beany got a rough deal with buying the car himself. I do feel sorry for him.

What's also a shame is, to make as much money back for the car as he can, he's gonna have to break it, and considering it's one of the few, if not the only genuine Super VR-4 Saloon in the country, it's a real shame :(

Turbo_Steve
24-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Hmm.....it doesn't sound THAT bad.....Autobox sounds like it may just need a good service and electrical checkup....okay it's a fair expense for the fluid...but...
I'd say the autobox is likely to be the most effort to correct.

AYC light being permanently on is probably a new pump-switch, or at worst a new pump. It could also just be an ABS sensor. Knowing the codes it flashed out would help a lot here.

The air hose popping off is unlikely to be anything more sinister than needing a new rubber as you say, or possibly a new jubilee clip.

I would suggest perhaps we need a CVR4 pitcrew to come over and do a few bits of maintainance for Beany, if he can afford some fluids and an AYC switch. I would hate to see something this rare come a cropper for such minor issues.

First of all, however, I would strongly suggest we get those codes.

Atik
24-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I am holding a mini meet at mine next Monday where Gowf will be helping me to weld up a base for my seats. Beany has said he will drop round so Gowf can have a look-see at the Super. Hopefully we can get some diagnosis from the Scotsman on what is actually wrong :)

AlanDITD
24-12-2009, 05:24 PM
WOW,

tbh you guys have done a pretty cool thing helping beany out top work.

Shame for it to be broken though if it is that rare. Hopefully a fluid change and a bit more love will see it right again.

Good luck to all!

aboo
24-12-2009, 05:55 PM
As Alan has said good work guys it would be a shame to see such a rare super be broken for spares.

Good luck guys & hope this can be sorted.

This sort of thing is what makes this club great the way everyone bands together to help other owners of these great cars.

Nick Mann
24-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I am holding a mini meet at mine next Monday.....

28th?

/Wave

Atik
25-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Yes it'll be the Monday 28th Nick. You are more than welcome to pop round :p

Nick Mann
25-12-2009, 08:54 AM
:D /yes /rally

BEANY
25-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow Lads U Make It Sound Worse Than It Is....,

I Have Run The Car Every Day Of 14months And Its Never Missed A Beat Always Done Wat Its Needed To Do And Trust Me I Have Opened Her Up And She Goes Well......., All I Have Had To Changed Is The Brakes And Alittle Service A Short While Bk, Now U Lot Say U Know About Theses Cars???? Well If You Did U Would Now That U Wouldnt Break It And U Would Spend Alittle Time And Money And It Will Be A Great Motor Again, Just Like Wat Turbo Steve Says There Just Repair That Need Doing And Its The Only 1 In The Uk!!!! I Aint Interested In Doin It As I Have A New Civic Type R Coming Feb So Its Just Gonna End Up Sittin There Or I Will Have It For Track Days, Not In Need Of The Cash Either....., Also Its Been To Mitsubishi Dealers 6months Bk For Some New Bottom Arms And They Said It Was Fine Apart From The Auto Playing Up Due To A Worn Plate In The Gearbox!!! However Ime More Than Happy To Keep It If I Dont Get Offered Around 3k As Its Worth That All Day In Parts... U Know It And I Know It..!!

See U Monday Lads, Have A Gd Xmas!!

miller
25-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Opened her up? Thought the intake elbow was blowing off?

Sorry mate, though every one was rallying round to help you get it back on the road for you. Though if its a for sale thread then its a bit off

BEANY
26-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi,
Yeah It Does M8 Now, But Didnt Before Its Only The Rubber Thats Worn Its Got A Split Just Needs Replacing Due To Being Removed And Put Bk On A Few Times In The Past, Just Silly Little Things Really Just Sounds Worse Than It Is, Also With The Gearbox Prob I Do Have A Reconed Gearbox In The Garage Witch For The Right Price I Was Willing To Give With The Car..., Also All The Fluids Was Changed When I Had A Little Service A Short While Bk, And The Electric Side Of It, It Came Up With No Faults.... Only Thing Ime Not Sure Of Is The Ayc Light Being On All The Time?? Maybe Just A Switch? Or..??? But Its Always Been Driven And Not 1 Problem From It..,
However Im Not Meaning To Come Off Cocky Lads, And I Am Happy 4 The Help That U Lot Are Giving Me.., It Is Easyer To Talk Face To Face Than Explaining On Here Thats All!
End Of The Day Ime Bannned From Driving Till Feb, So Its Only Used Buy The Missis 4 Wrk, Not In Any Major Rush To Get Done As It Still Drive Ok, Just If I Am Offered Round The 3k Mark It Will Sell But Otherwise Ill Keep It Untill I Find Something To Do With Her Lol (track Day It Maybe) Really Dunno Wat To Do With It!!

Cheers

elnevio
26-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, you'd certainly want the AYC and gearbox both fully fixed before a track day, otherwise something will just fail. And the rear diff is just operating as an open diff, so driving like a the big 4WD car it is, rather than feeling like it's 4 foot shorter!! Also advisable is a gearbox cooler, and the use of Amsoil ATF. The cooler will help with the cooling (obviously! :p) and the Amsoil ATF will take much more abuse than the Mitsi SP-III ATF.

Something that will help with the intake elbow is an uprated clamp - ditch the standard jubilee clip. The intake elbow pops off a bit too easily - especially with upped boost.

As for the Super itself, I think it is a stunning looking car. I can easily understand why people keep buying it! :sweethear

And I hope you get to see another reason that makes this club great on Monday for the mini-meet! /yes

PS: Turn your CAPS LOCK off, it'll make your posts easier to read. :thumbsup:

BEANY
26-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Lol,

Wil Do Speak To U Lot On The 28th