PDA

View Full Version : superchips

nick-f1
27-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Does anyone have experience of superchips and are the performance gains worth it? Have looked at their website and quote a gain of 35-40 hp for the vr4 at £500! Hmmnnn.

Nick

Wodjno
27-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Does anyone have experience of superchips and are the performance gains worth it? Have looked at their website and quote a gain of 35-40 hp for the vr4 at £500! Hmmnnn.

Nick
I looked at these when i had the ROVER 620Ti .. but ended up getting the same gains from a manual boost controller for £45 .. I know once your super chipped it allows u to take boost above stock levels , but to what advantage ... it allows u to boost without fuel cut off kicking in .. and unless ur getiing it set up by someone who definitely knows what there on about ... this could be fatal ... running lean and over heating... ???

nick-f1
27-06-2004, 09:53 PM
My thoughts entirely as well Glen, with similar gains from induction/exhaust and boost etc avalable it doesnt seem worth it. which is why i'm asking if anyone has one.

Nick

Spirit
27-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Derek has the Dastek Unichip - sure he will chip in with his experiences when he sees the thread, and if he doesn't mind the costs involved.

Our local Superchip dealer in Plymouth does not have a good reputation so would not consider one personally

SGHOM
27-06-2004, 10:04 PM
chip in !! DOH !! :$ :$
Yes I had mine unichipped at Nobles of chesterfield. probably the best £560 I spent on mods............... apart from the legendary BDA de-cat !! :-b
I try to forget about the other £5K I've spent !! :rolleyes5 :$
My car is now 333 BHP, up from sandard 260 BHP !! & boy does it shift !! :-b

Spirit
27-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Derek, I emailed Dastek to ask for prices and local dealers but they have not replied.

Was the £560 the all in price, i.e. unit/fitting/rolling road/mapping etc ?

Cheers

SGHOM
27-06-2004, 10:27 PM
All in Pete, plus the vat mans cut :Cry1: but as you know I had quite a bit more done at the time :lipsrseal

Spirit
27-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Would be the way I would go - find someone you can trust to fit it and set it up correctly......unfortunately we don't have that luxury down this end of the country however after months of hassle AP Motors are looking to relocate and maybe fit a 4wd rolling road....will be a god-send.

Mr VAT man........b**tard :lipsrseal

Nick do you have a boost controller fitted to yours? Sorry I can't remember.

nick-f1
28-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Nick do you have a boost controller fitted to yours? Sorry I can't remember.

Not yet Pete, I didn't think t was worth it until i've sorted the exhaust. Have a massive flat spot from 5800/6000rpm onwards, and reading past threads it may be that the standard back box is restrictive. So I'm trying to source a fujitsabo supplier , we have no custom exhaust makers around here anymore. Then I was going to tap you up for advice on yr boost controller.

Nick

Spirit
28-06-2004, 07:27 PM
No problem mate, just shout when you need some info - also how about a Super Drager ? If you PM Polabear he can advise you of several suppliers who can still get them from Japan to your door (for around £525 if I recall) ;)