PDA

View Full Version : a new noise any thoughts?

KEENY
17-09-2009, 12:38 PM
ive have a new noise coming from the front of the car and i dont have a scooby as to what it could be.
it kinda sounds like the good old days when you used to put a plastic lid in the spokes of your push bike but this has a very metallic sound to it.
you only hear the sound when your pulling out/off and it only does it for about 5 minutes or so and then it goes away.
it doesnt do if your at a stand still and you reve the engine.

someone suggested it could be the exhaust ballers...baublers or whatever there called. but i have had the exhaust looked at and there is no sign or anything there. ive been qouted £108 for a non mitsi front and back box if i wanted to eliminate it being the problem. but its not a cheap fix.

so anyone else had this problem?

thanks for reading
keeny

HPRULZ
17-09-2009, 12:44 PM
does it have grooved discs? I used to get a similar noise till I changed front pads as one was dragging slightly on the grooves and sounded exactly like the card in the spokes job! (and its cheap and easy to check).

Kev

KEENY
17-09-2009, 12:49 PM
funny enough the discs have just been changed but i dont know if they had grooves in them as i got a garage to buy and fit them. but the noise does sound like its coming from the front drivers side.

thanks dude i'll check it out.

bradc
17-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I'd jack it up and pop it into first gear then have a nosey around it. You can also take the wheels off to have a closer look as well.

AlanDITD
17-09-2009, 11:10 PM
will poss be the shims catching the brake discs mate, it happened on a civic of mine, take it back its an easy fix if its that.

KEENY
18-09-2009, 04:38 AM
would the shims stop catching after a few minutes of driving the car? as the noise stops after a few minutes.

Subaru ETA
18-09-2009, 07:48 AM
will poss be the shims catching the brake discs mate, it happened on a civic of mine, take it back its an easy fix if its that.

i agree...sounds like a likley culprit

KEENY
20-09-2009, 06:44 PM
i agree...sounds like a likley culprit

nop its not that..

Davezj
20-09-2009, 09:18 PM
are you sure it not engine noise.

tappet are noisey and goes away after a short while.

sorry if it is obviously not this. but without hearing the noise it is a little difficult to diagnose.

Soggy Llama
25-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I had a similar noise.......quite odd it was. Turned out, the inner wheel arch linings werent bolted together properly, and it was flapping around. Obviously, teh faster i went the more it flapped......a quick relocation of a higher bolt rectified that situation :)

KEENY
26-09-2009, 08:36 PM
na its not tappets i cange the oil every 6 months which keeps that it check. but thanks for your suggestion and all suggestions. its these suggestions thats saves guys like me money.

thanks Soggy Llama i'll check it out.

andyleaves
27-09-2009, 08:39 AM
It might be worth asking some on here like Nutter_John to have a look...
Not being funny but its not a CV Boot gone bye, bye's is it nah stupid you would have seen that anyway...
Is one of the brake or any other cable lose?
I know it sounds strange but at this point it might just be worth checking all the strange suggestions

KEENY
28-09-2009, 10:24 AM
i will try and record the noise and post it on here.