PDA

View Full Version : Cameras

Physician
28-06-2004, 02:12 AM
When on track at Silverstone or the Pod, are we allowed to have video cameras operating 'in-car' ? Mine is a (proper/professional) suction mounting set-up on the front windscreen.

Whilst asking the above question ....... I was looking at a full track day at Rockingham (£189 - max 40 cars) and noticed that one of the conditions was that, "...... strictly no timing (sic: of my car) allowed." Why would they have this condition ? Any ideas, as surely most drivers would be particularly interested in their times.:sad3:

Thanks,

Richard

Spirit
28-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Castle Combe had a no camera in car rule too Richard, but let me through ok (unless they did not see mine) - oh and also a NO RACING rule ...... yeah right :laugh:

I would guess a windscreen mounted one may be different due to the damage it may cause during a crash ? And I am guessing here but the no timing/racing bit is due to their insurance to discourage such behaviour, maybe if it was "allowed" then we may all have to produce evidence of our own track insurance ?

chris g
01-07-2004, 12:29 PM
The camera and timing rules are linked to safety and insurance

Trackdays are NOT racing and I understand that the trackday organisers have insurance that excludes timing so therefore racing is not taking place

If timing equipment found in crashed cars then you were racing/timing the car so your trackday insurance and the organisers insurance could/would be invalid

Taking out trackday insurance does not allow timing - you are being insured for damage whilst enjoying a trackday - you may feel/know you are racing but timing equipment is the link to racing AND invalid insurance

Cameras may only be allowed with permission of the organisers - some tracks have insisted in advance notice of filming and to give advance permission in writing for filming - the trackday organisers are not in control of this aspect of a trackday

If permissionj not specifically needed then a firmly secured camera AND secure bracket may be OK - sometimes with an additional restraining strap for camera (if it comes off bracket) - like a wheel tie to prevent a wheel flying thru air if it comes off an axle

Some trackdays will not allow you on track unless cab of vehicle is completely empty of any loose items even on floor at rear AND nothing stuck on windows/fastened to roll cages

Hand held cameras NOT usually allowed at all

Some tracks will NOT allow filming under any circumstances - details usually found when booking day or signing in at the track

It it is not allowed and you get onto track with a camera then you may risk insurance problems and being thrown out of the event if discovered

You could alweays try a subtle hidden helmet cam or hidden bullet cam in radiator grill or some other similar place

The problem then is where to put the recording device

Tape machine fastened permanently in boot or video camera secure in glovebox or some other similar location