PDA

View Full Version : Stock jap battery strikes?

foxdie
18-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Car had been idling rough all day, wasn't sure why, drove to morrisons to get some red wine, came back to the car and it just wouldn't start. Tried to turn the key, relays everywhere started clicking wildly, lights flickering, alarm going mental flashing the lights, turbo timer beeping on and off etc etc, this was AFTER I took the key out :undecided

"Great" I thought, jap battery's kicked the bucket, and there's a car parked in front of me.

Now, there's been some white powder collecting around the negative terminal of this battery for a long time, so I think "hmm.. it can't be..", I take the negative terminal off, cleaned out all the white crap, screwed the terminal back on.. car starts first time and idles fine :D shame about having to re-set all 3 clocks in the car and the ECU being reset so hesitant full auto gear changes x.x

Not sure what causes the white powder build up (or what it is), guessing it's something to do with the polarity of the battery (remembering electrochemical reactions from GCSE makes my head hurt, cathodes / anodes / crystallising etc)

Anywho, should I be thinking about replacing the jap battery now? Does the powder build-up indicate the battery is probably reaching the end of it's life?

ritch_w
19-09-2009, 10:35 AM
give the terminals a wee coat of vaseline or light grease to stop them corroding / reacting ;)

scott.mohekey
19-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I had the same problem with the negative terminal. It took me a replacement alternator to find out though.

Dom B
19-09-2009, 12:59 PM
It's probably more to do with the plating they use on the terminal. Mine does it too and needs a clean now and then. The plating is just reacting with the lead of the terminal itself. As rich said, a smear of vasaline does the trick to stop oxidation.