PDA

View Full Version : New front suspension.

scott.mohekey
22-09-2009, 03:24 AM
I finally got all the parts together to replace the arms, ball joints, and bearings in the front suspension last weekend. I managed to get the front left changed over before I got tired of working in the sun. Photos are of all the new parts (the knuckles are not new).

Goku
22-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Looks shiny.... you got it all in yet man ?

scott.mohekey
22-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Only the front left. It's a good few hours of work, and I need the car for work the next day so I have to wait for the weekend.

Goku
22-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Bah, Flimshaw, me and the old man can do it in like an hour and a half :D

scott.mohekey
22-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I had to replace the abs sensor because the existing one wouldn't come out of the knuckle. That meant I had to take the guard off to get at the plug on the loom. If it wasn't for that I could have got it done quicker. I also managed to put the new arms on with the caliper dangling in a place it wouldn't come out of, so had to take the arms off again to move it!

Louis
22-09-2009, 10:43 AM
very nice, good to do it all at once, well worth it. (expensive hobby though!) :)

Goku
22-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I had to replace the abs sensor because the existing one wouldn't come out of the knuckle. That meant I had to take the guard off to get at the plug on the loom. If it wasn't for that I could have got it done quicker. I also managed to put the new arms on with the caliper dangling in a place it wouldn't come out of, so had to take the arms off again to move it!

Eh no ye don't, just undo the one bolt on the inner guard and you can unplug the ABS sensor.

Also, to get them out, soak them in CRC for about an hour, re applying it at 20 min intervals and it'll pop straight out :D

peter thomson
22-09-2009, 11:43 AM
What's CRC. I've seen it mentioned before

Goku
22-09-2009, 08:52 PM
kind of like WD40, helps lubricate metals e.g nuts and bolts, when they have been sitting for a long time, rusted or siezed and you want to separate them.

Also good for when you want to put things back together and they may be slightly rusted etc

peter thomson
22-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds like it is a lot better than WD40 as I have tried using it without any success

scott.mohekey
22-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Eh no ye don't, just undo the one bolt on the inner guard and you can unplug the ABS sensor.

The ABS loom plug is right up under the outer guard on the 8Gs. I tried getting at it via the inner guard, but my wrist isn't quite flexible enough to bend around all the corners.

Also, to get them out, soak them in CRC for about an hour, re applying it at 20 min intervals and it'll pop straight out :D

I did EXACTLY that.. it wasn't budging.

Goku
22-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Really ?
That's odd, they should be in the same place as the 7G ones as they are the same length in the cable.

Hmmm...... may need to leave it over night then lol

scott.mohekey
22-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Really ?
That's odd, they should be in the same place as the 7G ones as they are the same length in the cable.

I'll show you where they are on the other legnum next time you're around.

Hmmm...... may need to leave it over night then lol

I got impatient and bashed it with a rubber mallet. Then I HAD to use the spare one! /pan