PDA

View Full Version : Quick question - How many bolts holding the gearbox are there?

peter.nilsson83
22-09-2009, 09:46 AM
ASA says 6 (one 40mm, three 50mm and two 60mm long)on the upper half of the box, but there are holes at the bottom of the gearbox too, and I can't remember! :P
For now I bolted the two remaining 40mm I had at the bottom and they fit nice there. But I also have a "extra" hole next to the transfercase that I can't find in ASA or any of my workshop manuals.
(The two bottom ones weren't found in ASA or wsm either I might add)...

Argh, anyone know what fits where??! :D :D /hammer

Louis
22-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't remember exactly but there is a photo in this thread which shows the gearbox off the car and you can count the holes. Two of the holes are for the starter and there are two locating pins which you can also see which don't use bolts. the bolts are different lengths so keep them in order!. There are 6 bolts that hold the transfer box onto the gearbox, you can also see these in the photos, Louis

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42610

Louis
22-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Did you get the one that goes in from the gearbox side, at the top, in the place beside the speedo sensor, it is a short one, and there are two small holes at the bottom for the flywheel/ torque convertor inspection plate.

peter.nilsson83
22-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Got them all! The three bolts that go on the bottom of the gearbox were plain bolts with washers. Approx 40mm long. I didn't look too carefully when I was searching for my last bolt and thought the ones I had already mounted were flanged ones, and I had just a simple bolt with washer left, so that got me confused. :P

That's it for today, got to head for work now.

Louis
22-09-2009, 01:36 PM
What were you repairing, replacing?

peter.nilsson83
22-09-2009, 03:04 PM
What were you repairing, replacing?

Had the gearbox out for overhaul. Started with a whirring sound that became worse and worse, and saw metal shavings in the oil... took the gearbox out and opened it up earlier this summer. The large bearing on the end had large pits in it! :/
Got it repaired now and hopefully I can drive my car again!! :D