PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Boost Controller

ian_gelder
24-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I know there are lots of threads on the forum regarding fitting and settings up MBC's but I just thought I would post my findings to help others.

I bought and installed the R-Spec Boost Controller from:
http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_108&products_id=206

I found that this controller to be very unreliable (ball sticking in the joints etc) and when it hit 17/18PSI was suffering from fuel cut.

I then thought sod it I'd buy an Electronic Boost Controller but as times are hard I couldn't find one for the right price. So I bought another MBC, this one:
http://eclipseracing.co.uk/multi_product.asp?id=10

Since then, I've set the boost to a nice 10PSI and am enjoying no more fuel cut!!!

Just thought I would try and save someone else the problem I had.

elnevio
24-09-2009, 02:00 PM
LOL - you are going to have made Turbo_Steve's day by calling it a Mechanical boost controller, rather than a Manual one! :D

Anyway - unless you've shifted or removed the level at which fuel cut occurs (e.g. by fitting an FCD), then I am not surprised that you were getting fuel cut at 17/18 PSI!! Usually happens before that! :rolleyes3

A lot of people are happy with the Turbosmart one. I say, if it works, good stuff!

ian_gelder
24-09-2009, 02:09 PM
That's why I said Mechanical! I've seen some of the posts Turbo_Steve has commented on and didn't want to upset him!

That's one of the problems I had, when I initially set the boost controller up it was working fine, then in it started spiking to 17/18 and then I was getting fuel cut.

I'm very happy with the Turbosmart one and would recommend it.

AlanDITD
24-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Decent MBC 's like the turbo smart are pretty good and do offer a finer level of adjustment. I know a tunner that uses them when the person cant afford an EBC and he rates them aswell.

Its the cheap nasty ones that are crap though as you say. I fitted one it was ok and worked but it was prone to spikes from the ball sticking. So i agree 100%

bigoxo
24-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I have the R-spec fitted now and it's fine. It spikes around 12 and i never see fuel cut :-)

course if i did i'd just turn it down lol

Turbo_Steve
25-09-2009, 07:31 AM
This thread meets all the specifications for Turbo_Steve approval.

Subaru ETA
25-09-2009, 08:15 AM
i have one of those fitted to my car - all be it the older model. $40 off trade me :D

i find that it does hold boost very well - at the dyno day i wound it down abit to prevent fuel cut and it spiked up to 16psi and slowly dropped off to about 12.5psi

miller
25-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Have you fitted yours yet Steve?

Turbo_Steve
25-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Not yet, unfortunately.

List stands at:
Rear Tyres
Fit the Big fuel pump
Fix the exhaust & steering boots
Get MOT
Buy some silicone hose
Find the cables for the Defis (they're in a box somewhere)
Fit the Defis using the silicone hose.
Fit the boost controller
Start saving for proper AFR and boost gauge.
:(

ian_gelder
25-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I've got it up to 10PSI at the moment, spiking to 12PSI. I'm going to be a bit more ambitious this weekend and hopefully get it to 12PSI and see if I get fuel cut and what it spikes to.

Just need to find a private road to play on. Does an M before some numbers mean private road?

WizardKing
25-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Just need to find a private road to play on. Does an M before some numbers mean private road?

:laugh:

It does for me 'cos it stands for mine. >|

elnevio
25-09-2009, 03:26 PM
You need an A for private Access only. And you get more lay-bys! :D

bigoxo
25-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I think B stands for 'beware'(cos you never know who's coming the other way!) Assuming it also has the black stripe for 'no restrictions'.

andydckent
25-09-2009, 04:09 PM
This thread is getting dangerously close to the truth.... /secret