PDA

View Full Version : Not quite an AirTrek but . . .

pezza
24-09-2009, 03:53 PM
These are pretty mad and quirky vehicles, am still psychologically scarred from a 1.5 bar ride in a 400hp one a year ago!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1199214.htm

Nutter_John
24-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes deffo a quirky car , I have driven one and they do shift

elnevio
24-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Mint!

But the minty green would have to go...

Turbo_Steve
24-09-2009, 04:33 PM
It's the older Evo engine, which means you can slap in a wealth of bits from the US as well! Cheap to modify and build...just don't mention crankwalk LOL.

I've been sorely tempted by one of these before (in fact we bought the legnum instead.....did I make the right choice?).

pezza
24-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Am tempted to at least go and have a look as its located very close to where I am.

Nutter_John
24-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah the engine and running gear is evo 1/2/3 style and they run at 0.8 bar as stock , so just replace the cams and up the boost to 1bar and for little money your looking at 300 bhp

and Yes don't mention crankwalk

aboo
24-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Whats crankwalk?

Nutter_John
24-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Crankwalk is an issue with early evos where by the main baering next to the flywheel can have too much wear on it , this means that the crankl moves within the block more than it should ( hence the name crank walk) .

newer main bearings were developed and the problem can be stopped as long as the wear has not done any damage

pezza
25-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Well went to have a look at the green mystery machine and a quick drive (not in position to do anything else at the mo :-/)

Yes its quirky alright... The owner is a mechanic with his own garage and imported the RVR himself and done quite a few mods to it... not sure of the turbo upgrade, think he said it was td05 from a subaru? The car is unbelievably quick esp for its size..it definitely surprised me. It feels like driving a van but the suspension setup is just right...

Not sure what power they are meant to be as standard but with the recent engine and bigger intercooler , turbo and boost controller fitted he was thinking it should be about the 300 mark. (Dont think he is too far off the mark there either) He has owned a modded toyota chaser, an aristo plus 2 leggies in the past. (which myself and stuey had seen a few times) ..

Definitely one for the fantasy garage one day alongside the 6G VR!

Turbo_Steve
25-09-2009, 07:51 PM
John, my evo was making 300bhp (atf) on nothing more than a remap, exhaust and filter :D And it had knackered ringlands.

No crankwalk on mine (yet?) so it's got pistons and rods waiting to go in. Just need to splash the cash on a new rad, timing belt and some hoses, and I can spend a few days putting it all back together.

I always seem to have no time or no money: need both at the same time!

Nutter_John
25-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah Steve the point I was making the point that the RVR engine uses milder cams , hence the need for cams ( well this is what I have read )

Turbo_Steve
25-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Ohhh I didn't know that. Sorry.

Nutter_John
25-09-2009, 07:58 PM
No Worries Steve

Anyway get your arse in gear and get that engine built :D

Turbo_Steve
25-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Is that an offer to come and help? :P

pezza
26-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah Steve the point I was making the point that the RVR engine uses milder cams , hence the need for cams ( well this is what I have read )

Yeah thats right, the common cam upgrade is some 272's which is meant to liven it up a lot. I reckon they could become quite a beast. Apparently the rear seats fold flat to make a double bed!!

The hyper sport gear R does have a FMIC and TD05 as standard so makes more power out the box than the standard sport gear model (which has a top mount IC and TD04)