PDA

View Full Version : suspension clunking in my Legnum GDI?

benthomsen
29-06-2004, 07:07 AM
im getting a clunking noise from my front left wheel arch (or thats where it sounds like its comming from), it only happens over certain types of bumps etc and only at certain speeds. i have had it checked for loose parts (suspension arms etc) and also had new shocks and springs since but it still makes the noise and it doesnt seem to be getting any worse, just the same noise day after day. is their any known metal parts under there which tend to rub or hit which could make this noise? any ideas at all? i can only hear it with the stereo off and the window down but its still annoying. any help would be greatly appreciated.....oh and also should the cambelt be replaced at the standard 100,000km or can i leave it a bit longer? cheers

ben

1997 Legnum ST GDI 1.8L

Polabear
29-06-2004, 11:20 AM
im getting a clunking noise from my front left wheel arch (or thats where it sounds like its comming from), it only happens over certain types of bumps etc and only at certain speeds. i have had it checked for loose parts (suspension arms etc) and also had new shocks and springs since but it still makes the noise and it doesnt seem to be getting any worse, just the same noise day after day. is their any known metal parts under there which tend to rub or hit which could make this noise? any ideas at all? i can only hear it with the stereo off and the window down but its still annoying. any help would be greatly appreciated.....oh and also should the cambelt be replaced at the standard 100,000km or can i leave it a bit longer? cheers

ben

1997 Legnum ST GDI 1.8L

Hi Benthomsen, with ref to your clunk, take it back to the garage and get them to check out the lower suspension arm bushes, and top and bottom ball joints, these are all candidates for clunks and knocks when worn, hope this helps.. ;)

simpsonm
29-06-2004, 01:54 PM
I would get tham to check the anti roll bar links too.

I-S
01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
I had the same problem. Both lower suspension arms replaced and it has now gone.