PDA

View Full Version : Front & Rear Turbos for recon

darrow
29-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi

I have just had two new turbo's fitted to my 97 Vr4s (£3800 - ouch) and I have the two which were removed which I'm trying to sell. I ASSUME they can be refurbished. One was burning oil and the other was seized (my car was bellowing smoke before they were changed) They have done around 52K miles.

Any offers?

matthew.beavis@usa.net

Thanks

matthew

Nick Mann
29-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Looking at your e-mail address, you are American. In which case the car you are talking about is the 7g, not the 8g?

darrow
29-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi

email address is confusing - I am in UK. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 7 and 8??? I have the mitsubishi turbo part numbers though:

Front Turbo: nr299237

Rear Turbo: nr299235

Thanks

borgan
29-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Are these the ones posted on e-bay aprox 2 months ago?

Dan_G
29-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Just out of Curiousity Darrow, what colour was the smoke?....

I ask just because I recently had a big cloud of blue smoke out the back under deacelleration/reaplication of throttle... := :sad3:
(damn those Clio Cup sports.... Bloody faster than you'd think :$ )

Cheers

Dan

darrow
29-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Just out of Curiousity Darrow, what colour was the smoke?....

I ask just because I recently had a big cloud of blue smoke out the back under deacelleration/reaplication of throttle... := :sad3:
(damn those Clio Cup sports.... Bloody faster than you'd think :$ )

Cheers

Dan

Yes, they were on eBay in April but didn't reach the reserve. The smoke was white with a faint blueish tint. However, when I say smoke I mean SMOKE. My car was engulfed - I thought it was the head gasket (wish it was it would have been cheaper). Shocking event!

mike
30-06-2004, 11:06 AM
So how much are we talking? What was the reserve on eBay??

You say ones seized - as in the shaft won't turn at all? Have the wheels or housings got any sign of damage? if not then its proabably the bearing.

Mike.

darrow
30-06-2004, 11:11 AM
So how much are we talking? What was the reserve on eBay??

You say ones seized - as in the shaft won't turn at all? Have the wheels or housings got any sign of damage? if not then its proabably the bearing.

Mike.

Mike

I have to confess I don't know what the problem was, they just told me it was 'seized' and I didn't ask anymore because they hit me with the £3800 repair quote so I think I may have been unconcious when they explained further!
I can't remember what reserve price I put on them, I did have one bid of £200 which didn't meet my reserve. They are on there again, this time without a reserve and I have started them at £200. If I can get £200+ I'll be happy. Because I don't know the exact problem and I'm not a mechanic I can't really say how 'refurbishable' they are but I have been told that most turbo's can be refurbed. Its a risk for someone to take if they buy them but if someone needs them and even if only one works they will still save themselves a fortune!

Matthew