PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

nick-f1
30-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Found this conected to Ecu when about to fit speed delimiter.See attaced pic Is this a speed delimiter already fitted or what? The power wire (red is disconnected) as picture shows it is hks with FCDK3-01041 on the back. It has 5 wires from it; red, black, green, yellow and a white. The delimiter I have just purchased is a fraction of the size , about the size of my thumbnail with only 4 wires, power, -ve and 2 for speed sensor.

Just wondering if someone knows for definite what it is before I take the bull by the horns and reconnect it. And why does it have an adjuster pot on it? The disc in the pic is this pot, with adjust point written at side with cut and norm marked as well.

Please help

Nick :dozey:

Simon
30-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Your not joking right?! :lipsrseal

F C D

Fuel Cut Defender

Hope this helps. :)

Do you have the boost turned up? if you currently haven't it seems that the previous owner could have and put the FCD to stop fuel starvation under increased boost.......BDA and others will know about the technical side of it :)

nick-f1
30-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Pardon my ignorance Simon, but i've only had this car a couple of months so its a steep learning curve. As far as I'm aware the car is standard . Thing is where do I go now? I bought the delimiter 'cos I lose all power at 120mph for a few seconds could this be due to something else?

confused

Nick

enigma
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
You have a fuel cut defender as suggested. It will stop you getting........well fuel cut!

Fuel cut occurs when the MAF sensor reads above a predetermined mass flow of air passing it, the effect is that the fuel to the injectors get shut off momentarily until the air flow reduces and everything returns to normal.

Normally you would not expect a standard car to have one, it is likely that the previous owner installed a boost controller.

Kieran
01-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Normally you would not expect a standard car to have one, it is likely that the previous owner installed a boost controller.

So where's your boost controller?.... It will have been removed during the SVA process - Any aftermarket addons get knobbled in this way.
The reason the FCD hasn't been removed is quite simply because as you've seen, it was pretty well hidden! :)

Simon
01-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Sorry to have offended you, it wasn't ment to. I agree it is a steep learning curve.... :)

nick-f1
01-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Fitted speed delimiter last night and confirmed it works ie 130mph + now. But it throws up a management light sometimes. But during my experiments found out that disconnecting speed sensor wire does away with limiter anyway and speedo still works. Wonder what other info is used by the ecu from speed sensor other than limiting speed? reconnected wire anyway.
As to FCD the red power wire to it is disconnected so will leave this as is, but cannot find any evidence under bonnet or incar of a boost contoller having been fitted, but as I'm not really sure what to look for- that dont mean much! :$
Thanks for your input guys......... as Benny Hill used to say...... " learning , learning all the time"

Nick

Rally205
01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Nice nail polish mate :p

nick-f1
01-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Nice nail polish mate :p

Ooh Err Mrs! Was wondering who would spot that, but before you all get excited the " hand" in the pic belongs to the wife. Yours truly here was in charge of the digicam :laugh: Thats my story and i'm sticking to it! :lipsrseal

Big Ian
01-07-2004, 11:32 AM
pull the other one,your a secret "goth" which ther's nowt wrong with,unless your marlin manson! good singer and sound but what a freekin weirdo..... :laugh:

nick-f1
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
pull the other one,your a secret "goth" which ther's nowt wrong with,unless your marlin manson! good singer and sound but what a freekin weirdo..... :laugh:

Thats a thought I ought to try, have you seen the totty he pulls?............
Thinks................Now where's she keep her makeup.

Brind
01-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Damn I was gonna mention your taste in nail varnish but didn't think it was appropriate at the time. :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.brindley1/smilies/smilie_auslachen.gif