PDA

View Full Version : another ATF question :)

danwins224
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I've done a search, and read the post, but just want a simple yes/no answer.

After doing the AYC fluid last week, decided to let my local "mechanic" do the engine and diff oils for me. I know, but I've got man flu so cant be bothered....

Anyway, he decided to dump the engine oil AND the ATF, stupid prat! So the question is, I'm about to order some Amsoil ATF, but will the SP-II/III oil I've had him put in be ok untill the Amsoil turns up and I do a full flush and oil change (about a week)?

Cheers

Dan

AlanDITD
01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
well if you can afford to waste money then drop it in a week mate. The SP3 from mitsu will be fine for ages.

danwins224
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh right, bit new still to all this. I thought:-

Amsoil = Good

Everything else = Bad

Well thats saved me £100+.

Cheers Alan.

White Lightning
01-10-2009, 02:18 PM
It's more like:

Mitsi SPIII = Good

Amsoil ATF = Even better

Everything else = Bad (or unknown at this time)

elnevio
01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I assume he hasn't pumped all of the ATF out of the gearbox (i.e. just dropped the sump), in which case you are only down by about 5/6 litres.

IMO, the costs saving depends how long you'll keep the car. The Amsoil will outlast the SP-III several times over!

steelie600
01-10-2009, 04:40 PM
spIII = good
Volvo synthetic atf = lots better
Amsoil = the best but bloody expensive

AlanDITD
01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
spIII = good
Volvo synthetic atf = lots better
Amsoil = the best but bloody expensive

Why would the volvo stuff be better?

But yeah i would keep in the mitsu stuff for a while or until you have the spare cash to do it, if you want to change it then change it. But personally i would leave it well alone. If you start getting any odd gear changes or anything like that then amsoil will help.

If you get no problems then why bother?

elnevio
01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
If you get no problems then why bother?
Maintenance is normally preventative, not reactive, IMO! You don't leave your engine oil in until you get problems! :P

However! I would agree, if the Amsoil in there was already ok, and the new SP-III obviously is, then the resulting mix will be ok too. So I'd leave it in. If he's flushed the lot and you just have SP-III in there, I'd leave it in too.

Keep an eye on the ATF dipstick for colour/consistency and either change it when it is deteriorating, or if it makes it to the next gearbox service interval. If you are considering hard use, e.g. tracking/towing, then keep a VERY close eye on the ATF condition. Fitting a gearbox cooler will only help on a VR-4. :)

danwins224
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Cheers for the input everyone. And yes, he did just dropped the sump oil, apparently he undid the 'box sump plug, let it drain then realised that I hadnt given him 10ltrs of oil, so phoned to explain and asked if I wanted him to get some dexron II because he gets it cheap!!!!!!! LOL, cant type what I said to him, but as it turned out, got some SP III ATF for £5 a litre, so alls not lost. But as I'm unsure and the ATF from amsoil is already on order, might just change it in a couple of weeks anyway.

Again thanks for the quick replies.

Dan

steelie600
01-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Why would the volvo stuff be better?

Cos its got similar properties to amsoil, is fully synthetic like amsoil, is made by Fuchs for Volvo and is 1/2 the price of amsoil.

Ive got some in my car at the minute and after 4000 miles of varied driving (no track work yet but will be soon) all i can report is good things. Smooth gear changes, very positve changes in tip mode and none of that bloody judder i had before going uphill with light throttle.

amsoil
01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
You will not have any problems with the mix of Amsoil ATF and the SPII/III. Just that the heat survivability and longevity are much less. I would leave as is.

danwins224
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
You will not have any problems with the mix of Amsoil ATF and the SPII/III. Just that the heat survivability and longevity are much less. I would leave as is.

Well thats all I needed to hear!:thumbsup: /bananaroc

Will leave it untill the new business is up and running and I've got somewhere decent to do it! lol

Ryan
02-10-2009, 01:26 AM
I'll be the first one to admit that I've questioned just exaclty how good Amsoil products are. Kenneth's oil results were very good.

I've not yet had a chance to test my Amsoil ATF but can say that it's 14 months and about 20 000km since I last changed it and it is still red and still shifts fine.

amsoil
02-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Cos its got similar properties to amsoil, is fully synthetic like amsoil, is made by Fuchs for Volvo and is 1/2 the price of amsoil.

The Fuchs ATF that is compatable with SPII/III is not a full synthetic , nor does it claim to be, Fuchs do a full synthetic ATF, one is 70P cheaper and the other £1.49 more expensive (at Opies prices) than Amsoil (at list, not at club discount)

So I guess you must either have had a stunning deal with the wrong ATF or hopefully you have the correct 4400 which is not a synthetic and therefore wont last as long, nor does it claim to. Sorry

The Fuchs grid is here http://www.fuchs-europe.de/automatic-transmission-fluids.html

As I have said many times, you generally get what you pay for in life.

steelie600
02-10-2009, 06:46 AM
don i quote "Ultra high-performance ATF specifically formulated for Japanese passenger cars and light commercial vehicles. The high torque capacity exceeds the performance of many original fluids." thats for the titan 4400 as you reckon it is.

I CAN TELL YOU IT IS NOT titan 4400 it is a special oil made BY Fuch For Volvo trucks. AND is not available anywhere else EVEN THROUGH FUCHS THEMSELVES due to the contract that is between Volvo and Fuchs.
Yes i have a stunning deal £105 per 20 litres of the stuff compared to £235 for Amsoil at Opies prices. I have said it before Amsoil is the best for good reason. But this stuff i have found is of a similar quality to Your product, at less than half the price.

I HAVE NEVER SAID its better and never will, but if anyone wants to buy their ATF through me PM me and ill hook you up. I WILL NOT get into another willy waving contest with you. ANY MORE comments fron yourself putting down the product i have found off my own back and at my own expense to save the club members some money WILL BE IGNORED. One last point tho, If your oil was more competitively priced we wouldnt be in this position now would we???

Nikola
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
im sorry but i agree with steelie600 the volvo oil is excellent stuff and if its good enough for 16 speed auto/tip boxes that take a lot more power through them than ours ever will then its good enough for me

amsoil
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't usually reply when peps appear to have got out of bed on the wrong side......
But for the 1st time in 5 years on this forum I think I will for what I think is good reason.
The spec sheet of the volvo truck ATF shows a viscosity of over 60. Car ATF is usually under 40. (The difference is over 30%)
Mitzi's best has never had its specs published to my knowledge but compatable products are at the just below 40 level.
It cannot be the correct product (for VR4's) even without going to the co efficient of frictional properties.
The spec sheet shows it to perhaps be synthetic but also shows it to be a blue fluid.
Steelie says the new Volvo ATF he put in is 'cherry red' ..... I have spent much time looking into this and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea at all of what has been put in the auto box, I suspect from earlier comments on the other thread as the ATF morphed from TQ95 to whatever it is now, neither does Steelie.
Don't get me wrong here, (and I am really really trying not to have a go or be personal here) your car your money your choice your risk. I do wish you the very best in what you are doing, and I am certain that a Volvo badged ATF for volvo trucks will do just fine if not better in a volvo truck.....

steelie600
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Last reply on this matter;

It was me that got confused as to which oil i was using, my bad It is Fuchs supplied not castrol TQ although i do have that at my disposal. And like yourself Don im not entering onto a personal level. I really am not.
And as you say my car my choice. And seeing as this is a community of like minded people i thought id share my findings, and at no point have i ever said that the product i am using is BETTER than amsoil, and i never will. I have even said that if i find my oil to be of no use i will flush out my box with amsoils finest! At present i have done over 4000 miles of varied use in my car since oil flush, very spirited driving flat out runs, pottering about and motorway cruising, and everything is still well no discolouration. And if this oil does fail before 20000 miles i will humbly apologise for everything ive said and retract all my comments