PDA

View Full Version : Pulling .......

Physician
01-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Apart from the obvious ..... tyre pressure - which has been checked, what else would make a car pull one way or the other under both coasting and braking?

it's not dramatic, but I have to use a small amount of 'force' to stop the car veering to the left when coasting to a stop or when under braking at slow speeds (but NOT at higher speeds). I was 99% certain that it must have been to do with the tyre pressure being incorrect (which may tell you what I am 'feeling') but it's not that. (running 32 front, 30 rear)

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

Richard

Roadrunner
01-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Could be:
- Tracking: if one wheel is toeing out more than the other, it will pull in that direction;
- Brake pad binding: could be putting a drag on one disc that will make the car pull in one direction;
- Road camber: is the pulling consistent, or only on certain roads?;
- Suspension geometry: worn bushes, weak damper, steering or track rod end (see tracking) ...

Physician
01-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Could be:
- Tracking: if one wheel is toeing out more than the other, it will pull in that direction;
- Brake pad binding: could be putting a drag on one disc that will make the car pull in one direction;
- Road camber: is the pulling consistent, or only on certain roads?;
- Suspension geometry: worn bushes, weak damper, steering or track rod end (see tracking) ...

Thanks H.7 ......... brand new pads 200 miles ago. Just had new offside track rod done so possibly tracking although I *think* garage checked that after fitting - will ask them tomorrow.
It happens on all roads so not a camber issue.

Richard

The Vee
02-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Think H7 has about covered it there. Sticky calipers/pads is always a favourite.
Some cars unfortunately just naturally "pull". One other thing is tyres.Mine used to pull to the left at all times and when I fitted different tyres it completely disappeared,but car is still very camber sensitive (road camber)
An old trick was to swap over the front wheels which often helped (provided tyres are not directional tread pattern)