PDA

View Full Version : Any One knows how hard it is to change water pump???

m05r
03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I have water leaking below the belts on the engine and looking at it, it looks like it is comming out under the cam belt covers, so i am thinking that it could be the water pump, any ideas???? any one changed one before??any help would be great thanks

:violin:

Subaru ETA
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
yes i have changed mine twice and my old car once...the way i look at it is if you have to ask, you probably shouldnt be doing it! you confident enough in doing the cambelt?

Ryan
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
As above - it sounds like an absolute **** of a job - certainly not something that I'd ever attempt.

ANTHONY
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
may as well go for a cambelt change at the samr time

Turbo_Steve
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
It's a job that requires a couple of vaguely special tools (camlocks, long ratchet, offset ring spanners) and a sh!t load of patience.
You need to be reasonably meticulous about what order you do it in, too.

It's also a LOT easier if there are two of you.

There's a full write up on doing the cambelt if you join as a member. There isn't one for doing the waterpump, but plenty of people on here can give you good advice on this bit.

Adam.Findlay
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
as the water pump is run from the cambelt, removing the water pump requires loosening the cam belt, therefore unless you have the skill to do that and keep the timing in check i would leave it to a pro, (which is why i wish to learn how to do cambelts!!)

PaddyB
03-10-2009, 05:58 PM
piece'o'piss. It was the first job I did on my VR4 - first time I touched a car in 10+yrs.

Richy Rich did an excellent article in the members section - I mostly followed the workshop manual as well. The PITA bits are the cam covers (1 bolt is a biatch) & one of the pump bolts, which is buried under the engine mount - 1 of its bolts is buried under the PS/AC pump.

The only really sticky bit is tensioning the cambelt - I followed the workshop manual there.

Good luck.

Davezj
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
i did know you had done the cambelt on you car paddy, good man.

Turbo_Steve
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Paddy, I assume you locked your cams, then?
Cos believe me, if you don't it's hugely annoying :D

PaddyB
03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes. I locked 'em - both banks cos I'm a clumsy oaf - using the special cam lock (kitchen worktop clamps from wickes, £5 for 3). The only things I'd say are a must is a 4nm torque wrench to tension the belt & a bung to plug the dip stick hole - because when that pump comes off it's like a tsunami.

I did take a load of photos with the intention of doing a write up. Maybe I should.

White Lightning
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I did take a load of photos with the intention of doing a write up. Maybe I should.

I think that would be appreciated by many Paddy /yes

m05r
04-10-2009, 05:08 AM
thanks Guys for the advice, i have done cam belts before but not on the v6 engine, think i will get the tentioner bearings belt and pump all done at the same time, thanks again,

any one know what the cost of the parts are????

Gly
04-10-2009, 09:35 AM
400 to 600 depending on gen or aftermarket parts, and who you know

BuzzPuppy
04-10-2009, 03:01 PM
A lot of the cost is going to be labour unfortunately.

PaddyB
04-10-2009, 06:29 PM
It's a lengthy job on your own (including the cam belt) but it's easy enough if you're meticulous & follow the guide/manual. IMO it's an easier job than changing the back plugs. I'm writing up a guide for the members section which should be done by next w/e. If you can wait til then you canmake an informed decision on which way to go.

Subaru ETA
05-10-2009, 07:30 AM
dont know about that! you can have the rear plugs done in less then an hour, id like to see someone do the cambelt that quick!