PDA

View Full Version : ABS lights on

Freddy
01-07-2004, 10:46 AM
This is strange, just started happening! ABS dash lights stay on and TCL turns off after first start up of the day. The stereo and head lights wont work yet high beam and spots do. Once the car warms up everything reverts back to normal.
Had a blown headlight and replaced both bulbs with Narva arctic blue bulbs around the same time. Any ideas team?
The car is not on the ABS recall list issued 3 weeks ago.

nick-f1
01-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Just a thought, I had a similar problem on my old Rover once and that turned out to be damp/rain getting into a loom conector. It was always parked outside, cured it by sealing connectors with silicone afte drying out.

Nick

Freddy
01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Might check that out nick, as the poor thing has been sitting out in a few rain storms recently

Big Ian
01-07-2004, 11:25 AM
don't want to panick you but can't a "on the way out" ECU cause the same problem?,i'm pretty sure that's the same problem's my uncle's proton had before the ECU packed up..

Freddy
01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Just found this on a mitsi Q & A site. Seems relevant as everything comes right after driving for 5 minutes. Like the altenater charges the system back to life.

My ABS light will sometimes come on, sometimes not. How come?
This may be a symptom of a failing battery - the ABS system can misbehave under low-voltage conditions.

Big Ian
01-07-2004, 11:56 AM
here's hoping that's what it it freddy..
i spoke to my uncle and he say's his radio went first it would only light up,then the dash warning light's went eratig flash on and off then over the next few day's he would loss power to eletric's ie=window's,sunroof+central locking.once it started stalling and loosing power,he took it to a garage they said straight away "ooOO! £££ ECU guv"
he got one from a breaker's for £100.00. and his problem's were solved.

Nick Mann
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm sure Pescha had this problem. Something to do with a plug not connected properly on the engine side of the bulkhead.

I'll do a search.....

/Edit

post 36, from Pescha, here. (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219&page=3&pp=15)

Freddy
01-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Found it ! The altenater is pumping out 17.8 volts (should be 14vlts) which is why the electrics are misbehaving. Thanks for the input guys.
Freddy