PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid question

angie.m.c
06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Here goes, my galant used to make the typical binging sound if the lights were on and you opened the car door, but doesn't do this any more.

Is this fixed by simply changing the fuse and if so which fuse?

cheers
Angela

Confused
06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
A stupid question to counter your own stupid question ;)

Does the interior light come on when you open the driver's door?

If not - check your door switch. If it doesn't sense the driver's door being opened - it won't "bing"

elnevio
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I assume you have taken the key out of the ignition barrel (I can't recall if it is supposed to do it when in the off position, or when the key is taken out)? Wouldn't have thought this was fused separately, but Mitsi lighting circuits can do funny things when a fuse has gone! :D

I wouldn't have thought the 'binger' would have failed, although there may be a wiring issue, perhaps.

Check the fuses anyway, there are some behind the little coin tray by the driver's right knee. There is a schematic on the back of the coin tray telling you which fuse is which.

There are also some headlight fuses in the engine bay, next the the battery.

All worth a look.

steelie600
06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
the binger needs launching anyway!!!!

aboo
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
The key has to be in for it to bing cause I pull the key out when it starts & it does'nt do it right away.

I agree steelie. There's an article on how to get rid of it & its on my to do list.

Ryan
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
If one turns the key to the OFF position it will "bing" but if you remove the key and simply reinsert it, it gets rid of the "bing" till the next time you turn the key.

One day you may need the "bing" ;)

angie.m.c
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
thanks for the replies

confused- yes the interior light does come on when the door opens.

elnevio - doesn't matter whether the keys in the ignition or not there is no bing at all. Like your suggestion re wiring issues as my clock keeps losing time and occasionally the clock screen just goes blank so this may be connected.

I'll have a look at the fuses in the morning both under the bonnet and the coin tray (no idea there were fuses behind this so thanks) although I'm not sure I'd know if a fuses was gone, but I'll have a look any how.

Thanks again
Angela

Soggy Llama
09-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Oh dear.......I guess your not supposed to be looking at what time it is in Galants, Just enjoying the experience, mine is the same and I'm told its a common issue. I can only pass on the tip I was given here, and thats smack the top of the clock to get it back on :)

PaddyB
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Clock is a common fault (dry solder joint) & not related. There's an article on how to fix it in the members section - or you can just put a boost gauge in there like I did :)

Confused
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
The clock is an easy fix - there's a detailed article in the Resource Library which you can access if you're a paid-up member (along with many other very useful articles, plus details on discounts, and access to the Member's Only section and the FlashChat ;))

psbarham
10-10-2009, 09:20 AM
FlashChat ;))

also known as steeleys world of filth /lol

angie.m.c
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
ok, how stupid do i feel, having driven the car late the other night when it was dark i noticed that the internal lights DO NOT come on when the drivers door opens.

so i will now assume that Confused is right and it is some kind of door sensor problem. the lights come on when the passenger door opens so if i were to swap the sensor from the passenger side with the drivers one would this fix the problem?

thanks
Angela

Nick Mann
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
It'll just be a bit of rust on the switch. It's been a while since I did mine so I can't remember exactly, but I think you remove it with one scre, then gently sand the corrosion back to shiny metal on the contact point, then apply a thin smear of grease to help the problem stay away.

angie.m.c
11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
It'll just be a bit of rust on the switch. It's been a while since I did mine so I can't remember exactly, but I think you remove it with one scre, then gently sand the corrosion back to shiny metal on the contact point, then apply a thin smear of grease to help the problem stay away.

thanks but there is no rust/corrosion on the door sensor

Turbo_Steve
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
theres no rust on the inside of it? You must have the only one in the world that doesn't!!!!

angie.m.c
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
theres no rust on the inside of it? You must have the only one in the world that doesn't!!!!

Honestly i've not seen it just going by what boyfriend said, he's swapped the driver and passenger ones over and now the binger works. But he'll have a tinker around with it see if he can get it to work.

Thanks
Angela