PDA

View Full Version : lumpy engine

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 07:09 PM
hi all,
since comming back from the ring(which was savage crack BTW),my car has a lumpy engine if you like,i'll try to explaine....

the car runnes fine (under load) driveing down the road,lots of power and all that....but when i'm sitting at traffic lightsor on the drive in D or N,it seems to mis/kick only when it's HOT,never when its COLD.

Thinking it could be a coil pack,whick i just got today....and will be fitting sunday,but i just wanted a second opinion from "the people in the know" as they say.

(i put new plugs and magnacore leads in a month befour ring trip,and this only started happing on way home from trip)

thanks for the help

brendan

peter thomson
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Did you give the leads a tap to get them to lock on the plug as they need quite a bit of pressure or coil pack as you mentioned

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Did you give the leads a tap to get them to lock on the plug as they need quite a bit of pressure or coil pack as you mentioned

I only checked the front leads and electrical plugs on to the coils at the min...and all were tight,will be going after the rears next week.

it was fine for a month befour the ring trip,only when i drove the nuts off it and it got really hot (not overheating,water temp is fine)that the problem started...so i went for a coil pack after doing a search on here...

Is the any way of testing a coil pack.....or is it just a replace job....???

thanks

brendan

peter thomson
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I have found it's easier to swap for a known good one to test rather than trying to measure the resistance of the coil.

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I have found it's easier to swap for a known good one to test rather than trying to measure the resistance of the coil.

thanks peter....got one in the post from carlos1975 this morning....and going to try this on sunday all going well...

the reason i started this thread is what if it was'nt a coil pack....where to next..???,but sure we'll wait a see..

thanks again

brendan

The Vee
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
closed loop when hot....................sounds like my next visit would be the lambda sensor if the above doesn't work. Have you a way to check your AFRs?

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
closed loop when hot....................sounds like my next visit would be the lambda sensor if the above doesn't work. Have you a way to check your AFRs?

sorry andy if this sounds stupit....but what are AFR's and how do i go bout checking them and what will they tell me...???/Hmmm /Hmmm

brendan

peter thomson
09-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Air fuel ratio and you would need wideband lambda sensor of some kind to check it.

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
thanks again peter...car is going in for its first NCT in november so i think that will tell me whats going on in that department....hopefully

aboo
09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I had to ask this question a few weeks ago Brendan.

Guess who answered it? ^^^^

gallvr4
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
peter name from now on should be"mits gandoff",.......were not /notworthy ....were not /notworthy ....