PDA

View Full Version : Turbo advice

kinger
10-10-2009, 05:27 AM
As you can see from some of my other posts my turbos are gone so i need some more.
So in my quest for more power what can i do to them or what turbos fit on or any other help so i can really see a power hike please help

thanks

Ryan
10-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Kinger

This is a topic that's been covered in several threads already if you searched for them :)

Here is an example: http://clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28811&

Basically there is nothing you can do with the existing turbos except increase the boost pressure.

Because this car was never sold in the USA, there is a distinct lack of aftermarket options available and turbo upgrades are unfortunately at the top of that list.

If you are considering upgrading your turbos then be prepared to have very deep pockets and if you're intending to do it yourself, have a deep swear jar as well as deep pockets.

Very few members have actually gone down this route, GOWF and Valmes are two of the best examples and they use TD04's and TD05's respectively. Valmes no longer features on this forum but Gareth (GOWF) is a regular.

Even if you get two nice shiny new TD04's, that's only the beginning. They won't simply bolt on, you'll need to have custom turbo manifolds constructed. You will also have very little space to work with in order to actually get them to fit... well mainly the rear turbo anyway.

If you did get them to fit, you need to make sure that things like oil return lines and other ancillaries are properly located and connected. You will also need (at least):

* upgraded fuel pump
* at least a piggyback as the added requirements will be beyond the fuel map of the stock ECU
* bigger injectors

Bradc's car is a good example of how far the standard engine and standard turbos can go. He is still running the stock turbos and injectors (duty cycle pretty much safely max'd) but has upgraded fuel pump - the stock max's out at around 190kW ATW.

steelie600
10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Im with Ryan on this one, its gonna need custon manifolds to fit anything other than td03's, which is gonna cost big time. And imo if youve gotta go that route why stick with mitsi tubs when theres better turbos out there. I personally will be going the 2 hybrid garrett route when i up the ante on my engine but as said before, you really need the injectors off the gto MKII, high flow fuel pump, and adjustable fuel pressure reg.

To be fair on standard tubs with above mods, full exhaust, panel filter and a decent ecu (whether it be a viper or piggyback) there no reason that set up well you cant be encroaching on 400bhp, although as you probably already know the std tubs will be the limiting factor, but i reckon 375-380 is possible

EdmundVR4
10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
^^^^^^^ Well said guys.
I have TD04 13T's (with all necessary upgrades) on my car & I miss the instant boost of the stockers.
Yes, I have 310 awhp & it feels very good at higher rpms, but the power band has moved up in the rev range & due to the slower boost response I've lost torque at lower revs.

My 3.0 litre 7G has excellent boost response with TD04 15G's & I thought I would get similar performance with the TD04 13T's on the 8G. Was I wrong! I only have 365 awhp @ 17psi with the 3 litre but it is a night & day difference... good torque & boost response from 2000 rpm & it just keeps pulling to 7 grand.
Sorry I don't have the 3 litre in the 8G chassis.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go with Emanage for timing & fuel. I already have 2.5 - 3" free flow exhaust, fuel pressure regulator, walbro. Keep it simple!

Or BradC's set up...similar power + instant boost!

Turbo_Steve
10-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Ohhhh....what sort of fuel / ignition control are you using on it?

EdmundVR4
10-10-2009, 09:04 PM
^^^Haltech E6X, PTE 550cc Injectors,...

Turbo_Steve
10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
very nice! Surprised you're finding the TD04s as laggy as you describe?

Barney
11-10-2009, 12:34 AM
San Fernando! God that takes me back to the days I was running a Landing Craft out of Pointe Pierre to Grenada, Carriacou, Bequia, Mustique and other Windward isles.

Jeez I like to think of them as the good ol' days. Thanks for rekindling an old memory.

bradc
11-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Kinger, the fact that you need to ask that shows that you don't need bigger turbos :) Sorry if that comes off as being rude but as others have alluded to here, it is a heap of work.

Madhav
11-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Even if you get two nice shiny new TD04's, that's only the beginning. They won't simply bolt on, you'll need to have custom turbo manifolds constructed. You will also have very little space to work with in order to actually get them to fit... well mainly the rear turbo anyway.

I think Valmes got his TD05's on without changing the manifolds, also his TD04's no? I remember seeing photos... I have also fitted the KKR 280s which are a similar size to TD05s with only manifold adaptor plates and they fitted ok.

kinger
11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, ok so bigger turbo's will be a pain in the arse! But my other big decision is do i buy BRAND NEW turbo's or do i get mine re-conditioned for the same money???
The only difference is if i re-con them they have said they can up rate them (I dont know anything about them so dont know how)
or do i get shinny new ones running the same old power.
is it as easy a decision as it seems?
can i trust re-con???
What would you do??

Turbo_Steve
11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
A valid question would be: How much power are you running now?