PDA

View Full Version : stiff one

psbarham
13-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Right, all you people with a man's gearbox (awaits the normal bleating) how stiff is your gear change? Mine seems exceptionally stiff, i have replaced the missing linkage bush on the gearbox end, and then rebuilt the shifter mechanism so everything is in the correct order and lubed up the ball, and still its stiff.
I changed the oil on the box to the same brand gl4 as i put in the V6 whose gear change is smoother than Cameron Diaz after she's been rubbed in baby oil (cold shower on order) and is an absolute delight to use with no hint of grating even with really vicious gear changes.
I Have re-bled the clutch to make sure it wasn't something silly, but that made no difference at all. its really fecking me off now, as every gear change feels like the ones you used to have to do when learning to drive, which is **** on a performance car :bigcry:
I suppose my last port of call is to be raped by the stealers for some new cables :uhoh: .
But before i do does anybody else have any suggestions

bradc
13-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Both of my VR-4's require more effort to change gears than my ST-R but I've never had any problems changing gear, or with being able to beat the synchro's in any gear.

Do all of the gears require the same amount of effort?

wintertidenz
13-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Get an auto? :P :D

Nutter_John
13-10-2009, 08:58 AM
My old one was never silky smooth and nor is the Evo 5 speed box in my 8 , so I assume it is just a normal feeling

silly question you did take the short shifter out didn't you

bradc
13-10-2009, 08:58 AM
but then he wouldn't have a manual facelift type S :)

psbarham
13-10-2009, 09:01 AM
yeh the short shifter is long gone, and i've reassembled the shifter linkage in the car properly so it all returns ok.
it actually grates going into 5th, which rules out clutch as that would happen in the lower gears first.

bradc
13-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Perhaps the shifter mount isn't quite centered, causing the extra friction and the problems shifting into 5th?

Subaru ETA
13-10-2009, 09:07 AM
tried lubing the cables?

White Lightning
13-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Hmm, not experienced any grating of any kind. I find the change from 1st to 2nd a bit difficult when the box is cold but after a few changes it's fine. More force is certainly required to change gear in the VR-4 than in the Ka but I have a feeling that's probably more down to the Ka getting sloppy and the VR-4 having a nice positive shift.

psbarham
13-10-2009, 09:08 AM
gear box end? its a thought, i did remove it to replace the little plastic 'U' bush in there that was missing :huh2:

i'll have a look tonight if i finish work at a sensible time

psbarham
13-10-2009, 09:09 AM
aren't the cables sealed though? i'm sure i tried this on the v6 as something to do whilst they were out and i couldn't get into them

bradc
13-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah thats what I mean, after I replaced the rubber bushings in my green VR-4 I noticed the shift quality changed slightly. Not any more difficult to change gears, but the shifter has a notchy feel to it now that I quite like :)

Atik
13-10-2009, 09:52 AM
My first to second shift normally grates a bit, but after a few minutes and changes, that settles and the gears drop in nice and clean. Fifth gear engages super smooth everytime, so much so that fourth to fifth gear changes is the smoothest and quickest gear change I can make! lol

Question - I have a quick-shift mechanism installed in mine. Is that not good then? When I had the standard shifter mechanism I felt the closer gears (second, fourth and reverse) had further to travel when selecting them. To me the quick-shifter had a positive effect on the gear changes, ie, shorter gear lever movement and much better feel.

Kenneth
13-10-2009, 09:58 AM
There are screws or something that hold the shifter ball into its plastic cradle. If you do that up too tight, then it makes it stiff. Could be worth a look if you haven't already.

Nutter_John
13-10-2009, 10:01 AM
if it grates going into 5th then this could be the syncro's on that gear , at some point soon i will end up replacing them on my car as they crunch like a crunchy bar

miller
13-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Mitsi's finest synchros! I ended up replacing my box on my GTO due to this. Eventually after enough bashing 4th into 5th the casing blew and spewed its guts onto the M1! That was Mitsi's own box not the Getrag found in the TT's

Mike