PDA

View Full Version : AutoBox Failure

thehand
13-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi,
I apologise if
i) I've posted this in the wrong section
OR
ii) this has already been answered elsewhere on the forum.
I appreciate it can be really annoying when newbies just randomly post without checking the forum first...but I have looked...promise...just so much info to wade through and everything I found didn't seem to address my specific query! :seeking:

OK, while driving my "1997 2.5L V6 Auto" home in the early hours I bottomed out on a bump at the bottom of a hill (...this might not be relevant) and immediately lost all drive. It appeared I had completely lost all drive from the autobox which up until this point had been smooth and faultless in operation...other than a very rare "snatch" that happened once every couple of weeks. I'd always put the "snatch" down to indecisive throttle control from me rather than an autobox issue...but not sure now? Also had a knocking noise in the area of the o/s front wheel for the last few months (...very bad when on full lock) which I put down to a bush/link which I would sort at next MOT...again not sure now, could this be related?

Anyway, I've read some posts with regards limp home mode (which doesn't apply in this case as the box is dead in all gear positions) and input shaft/torque converters.

QU: As this was an immediate autobox failure and my local garage thinks there is no hydraulic pressure, could it be input shaft, torque converter or speed sensors? It didn't appear to be a gradual failure and the transmission fluid level was/is good with no signs of leakage?

I love the car, probably the best I have ever owned and I'm reluctant to scrap it as it's a nice example.

I will try and pull the codes from the Autobox in the coming weeks but do any of you guys have an idea? If it's a valve...I appreciate this is basically a new/recon box situation. If it's a torque converter/input shaft/sensors...do you think it's a cost effective fix? Are there any reliable sources for recon/second-hand autoboxes? What sort of money would we be talking? :o

Cheers
Neil

bradc
13-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Typically on a non-VR-4 auto the torque converter splines fail, resulting in no drive at all.

The suspension knocking is another issue, search for ball joints

miller
13-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey Neil welcome aboard! Glad you jumped onboard! Im sure some of the more knowledgable chaps will be along shortly to help out.

Hows that GTO of yours going these days?

Mike

edit: yes like Brad says the ball joints are of concern to us, worth checking them out as a seperate issue.

psbarham
13-10-2009, 08:24 PM
hello and welcome,

sorry to hear of your problems, the knocking sounds like a suspension failure, and as for the box well it does sound terminal, but if it helps i have a good 4speed auto and t/c from a '98 v6 here if you need it

aboo
13-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4.

Does sound like you TC has gone as others have said This is what happened to my old V6 no warning atol.

crazydriver81
14-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Neil and Welcome to CVR4!

Sorry to hear that you have a problem with your transmission. But agree with bradc, the torque converter has gone. Guess you car has done around 100k kms (approx 60k mls)?

Get yourself a T/C and replace it. This should solve the problem. Had the same issue with my ST-R. It felt like hitting a bump and the the power was gone. This was the moment, the splines failed. :(

However, keep an eye on the ATF. It should be equivalent to Mitsi SP-III requirements, so Dexron III is no option. I personally could recommend Amsoil ATF.

Good luck!
Stefan

thehand
14-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks for this guys...much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Sorry for not replying to the member who offered advise via the Pager...I think this feature may only be available once I subscribe.

From what I can gather the torque converter would mean dropping the transmission, replace/seal, flush, clean etc so a fairly big job and I can't seem to find a price for this part? Is it possible that some sort of solenoid associated with the TC has failed? I suppose when I pull the codes I will know more...but in theory it sounds like it might be possible to save the existing autobox?!? I'm no mechanic but managed to replace a Clutch on a GTO but not sure I want to tackle the Galants AutoBox. Due to the time involved in dropping the box I'm assuming the garage bill won't be much more for fitting an entire autobox if I supply the parts?

For now...thanks again! :happy:

PS: Mike, the GTO is OK thanks, which is just as well, as it's now my daily drive now the Galant's dead!

miller
14-10-2009, 07:29 PM
The garage bill should be the exact same if not less for replacing said box! It is the same process AFAIK

Mike

thehand
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Just to close this out! Thanks for the help and suggestions as it turned out I picked up a T-Reg Manual 2.5L V6 for less than it would cost me to replace the AutoBox! :mexicanwav

Anyone want a full leather "Silver 97 2.5L V6 Auto" for spares-repairs? :happy:

Cheers
Neil

elnevio
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Just to close this out! Thanks for the help and suggestions as it turned out I picked up a T-Reg Manual 2.5L V6 for less than it would cost me to replace the AutoBox! :mexicanwav

Anyone want a full leather "Silver 97 2.5L V6 Auto" for spares-repairs? :happy:

Cheers
Neil
Stick up an FS thread and I'm sure someone will be interested in taking it off you whole. Remember to adhere to the minimum requirements for advertising a vehicle though! Details are on the sticky in the Cars For Sale forum. :)

james996
06-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi,
I apologise if
i) I've posted this in the wrong section
OR
ii) this has already been answered elsewhere on the forum.
I appreciate it can be really annoying when newbies just randomly post without checking the forum first...but I have looked...promise...just so much info to wade through and everything I found didn't seem to address my specific query! :seeking:

OK, while driving my "1997 2.5L V6 Auto" home in the early hours I bottomed out on a bump at the bottom of a hill (...this might not be relevant) and immediately lost all drive. It appeared I had completely lost all drive from the autobox which up until this point had been smooth and faultless in operation...other than a very rare "snatch" that happened once every couple of weeks. I'd always put the "snatch" down to indecisive throttle control from me rather than an autobox issue...but not sure now? Also had a knocking noise in the area of the o/s front wheel for the last few months (...very bad when on full lock) which I put down to a bush/link which I would sort at next MOT...again not sure now, could this be related?

Anyway, I've read some posts with regards limp home mode (which doesn't apply in this case as the box is dead in all gear positions) and input shaft/torque converters.

QU: As this was an immediate autobox failure and my local garage thinks there is no hydraulic pressure, could it be input shaft, torque converter or speed sensors? It didn't appear to be a gradual failure and the transmission fluid level was/is good with no signs of leakage?

I love the car, probably the best I have ever owned and I'm reluctant to scrap it as it's a nice example.

I will try and pull the codes from the Autobox in the coming weeks but do any of you guys have an idea? If it's a valve...I appreciate this is basically a new/recon box situation. If it's a torque converter/input shaft/sensors...do you think it's a cost effective fix? Are there any reliable sources for recon/second-hand autoboxes? What sort of money would we be talking? :o

Cheers
Neilits the input shaft and the pump ,the clunk is from 2nd gear it is a common fault i went through 3 gearboxes it would cost 1,500 plus vat and labour it will most def go again

james996
06-11-2009, 08:02 PM
:afro: :afro:
its the input shaft and the pump ,the clunk is from 2nd gear it is a common fault i went through 3 gearboxes it would cost 1,500 plus vat and labour it will most def go again

elnevio
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Perhaps you can post up some more detailed information?