PDA

View Full Version : Denso iridiums

scc
03-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi,

Just installed a set of denso iridium sparkplugs (IK20) on my '98 2.0 gls to replace my current NGKs...

...can't say that its really made much of a difference. Acceleration feels
responsive, but that could be due to new plugs...

Has anyone tried them and felt that it was worth its bang for buck?

zentac
03-07-2004, 02:12 PM
spark plugs wont give you extra bhp from your engine, they may release extra power that was being hampered by old spark plugs. Same thing with spark plug leads.

John
03-07-2004, 08:01 PM
I fitted the same Denso's to my V6 last year. Immediate improvement in performance and mpg up at least 10%. Yes, I agree it may have been just the fact they were new. However at £40 for six from the states, they were far cheaper than the £79 plus VAT that Mitsy wanted for the proper (rebadged NGK) items. So whether Denso's claims are true or not I'm not too bothered.

I'd fit them again, but since the Iridiums are supposed to last for 250k miles I shouldn't need to. Not that I believe the claimed longevity though.

Big Ian
04-07-2004, 12:28 AM
ive got them in my GLS,i think they work well,better engine response and i'll never need to change them again (just clean them at normal service time's)

scc
04-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to see that most replies are positive. Makes
me feel better for the purchase.

I may get wires made up for it next just to see if there is any difference as the wires have done >110K miles...any recommendations on the make?

Kieran
04-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to see that most replies are positive. Makes
me feel better for the purchase.

I may get wires made up for it next just to see if there is any difference as the wires have done >110K miles...any recommendations on the make?

If you find somewhere that can do the wires, let me know :)

Big Ian
04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Kieran' i ended change'n my lead's back to standard,it just felt better?i swapped them with my mate (he thought it was a good deal!) :-D

krisby
12-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I believe the extra cost is because of the life of the plugs. My diamante has the iridium as OEM stuff because it is such a hassle to get at the plugs, so they are designed to be changed at the 100k service or the same time as the timing belt.

craig-1
13-08-2004, 10:19 AM
I believe the extra cost is because of the life of the plugs. My diamante has the iridium as OEM stuff because it is such a hassle to get at the plugs, so they are designed to be changed at the 100k service or the same time as the timing belt.

if anybody stays near a TMS motor factors they do them for £6 odds a plug and there NGK. far cheaper than any mitsi dealer :rolleyes5 :p