PDA

View Full Version : CVR4 Make over

Ryan
22-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I've been a member of this forum for the past 2, nearly 3 years. Over that period of time the basic structure of the website has not changed at all.

I am posting this because I think that based on some recent events and the influx of new members that we have, that some aspects of the site could perhaps do with a change.

The layout of the forum is in a red, white and blue format which is fine but I think that important areas as the SEARCH field are not displayed prominently enough and as such does not effectively draw people towards using it.

I would also suggest creating an equally visible area for Newbies that contains a list of common questions / answers. I'm fairly certain that such a thing does exist but it's difficult to find in amongst the standard red, white and blue colour scheme.

The features such as the video repository have never quite worked properly. There are a ton of broken links... perhaps if this isn't ever going to work that maybe we could create a CVR4 channel on YouTube and have links to those videos that members have uploaded?

Now I'm not suggesting this to "rock the boat" - I'm merely suggesting ways that could perhaps improve the overall "look and feel" of the site and improve it's functionality for the members.

Obviously major changes to the site are not easy and I understand that the changes are complex and would require a lot of time from someone who is able to make these changes but ... well.. I'm just putting it out there :)

Thoughts?

White Lightning
22-10-2009, 09:34 PM
We will be upgrading to the latest version of the forum software in the near future. We may well be forced to change the look and feel at that point anyway.

John TheAntique
22-10-2009, 09:46 PM
It seems a strange time to take a poll of this nature as there have been several references to upgrades andf subsequent changes over the last six months, why not wait until suggestions are called for as I'm sure they will. The question is of the " have you stopped beating your wife" type, not very constructive in my view.
As a relative newbie myself and a general computer incompetent I can't say I found any promlems with the search feature when I joined.

ANTHONY
22-10-2009, 10:51 PM
yep i agree i think it needs an up date in certain parts....................search could be renamed DEAR JOHN............

Ryan
22-10-2009, 11:49 PM
It seems a strange time to take a poll of this nature as there have been several references to upgrades andf subsequent changes over the last six months, why not wait until suggestions are called for as I'm sure they will.

John, this is an open forum and as such members are entitled to voice their opinions, just as you've done.

The question is of the " have you stopped beating your wife" type, not very constructive in my view.

I really have no idea what that's supposed to be mean... :vogel:

As a relative newbie myself and a general computer incompetent I can't say I found any promlems with the search feature when I joined.

That's great but it's not the functionality that I was discussing. If you read my thread properly you'll see that I have suggested making it easier to find.

The Vee
23-10-2009, 01:52 AM
As Wayne says, there will inevitably be some changes with upgrades etc. But one of the things I've always liked about this site is the custom look over a lot of others, and to a complete computer thickie like myself I find navigation pretty easy.

Nutter_John
23-10-2009, 02:10 AM
yep i agree i think it needs an up date in certain parts....................search could be renamed DEAR JOHN............

he he nice one Tony

OnBoost!
23-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I personally like the site,and to me it looks a lot better than some others out there....

sanct
23-10-2009, 08:17 AM
We will be upgrading to the latest version of the forum software in the near future. We may well be forced to change the look and feel at that point anyway.

The site looks good imo
If you do decide to rework anything regarding graphics/buttons/imgs give me a shout it's what I do and would be more than happy to help.

Having said that keep up the good work.
:beatnik2:

miller
23-10-2009, 08:38 AM
The question is of the " have you stopped beating your wife" type, not very constructive in my view.

I think i know what John means. (i think insert the word 'thread' after 'type)

and i agree with this as im certain a few of you know already.

Mike

Turbo_Steve
23-10-2009, 09:20 AM
If I am brutally honest, I think things have been justifiably a bit static of late, but this is for some important reasons: we've had provider problems. We've had changes of both technical and management staff. We're small, which makes us agile, but very risk suceptible.

As such I think a period of stability was a good thing. And now it's time things started to move along again gradually, and I KNOW that the comittee agree with this as they're already doing work on things.

I like Ryans suggestions (emphasising the search function a little more, and for gods sake replacing it with one that works a little better! Technology has moved on several generations!) and whilst there are some privacy issues around a youtube channel, I agree that both the video and photo hosting is difficult to navigate: I simply don't bother.

Why not move Ryans suggestions to a "suggestions box" thread, and delete the rest of this one, as it somehow seems to have become a contentious subject, which is ridiculous.

I don't see any point in changing the "design ethos" of the site, however. The logo, colour scheme and overall layout are smart and readable. By the same token, the top of the pages ARE cluttered, especially as a member.

White Lightning
23-10-2009, 11:41 AM
As such I think a period of stability was a good thing.

Absolutely.

I actually got a little grumpy when I read this thread last night. As has been said, we only have a small committee and people need to appreciate that we all work full time, and have families, so finding time to do this stuff is difficult at the best of times. Some people perhaps don't appreciate how much sustaining activity goes on behind the scene to keep the club ticking over, let alone undertaking this BIG project.

On a personal note, I currently have a wife that is laid up for at least 3 months due to a recent operation and that means I am currently running around like a headless chicken doing allsorts. This means I am actually quite drained at the moment and probably explains my somewhat negative response above. I will apologise for that now.

Anyway, as I said above, the vBulletin (forum software) upgrade is long overdue. And for those that don't know it IS a massive amount of work. The migration over to the new hosts earlier in the year was a large amount of work but the upgrade (due to the highly customised setup on this site and complete lack of documentation about how it is setup) means that the upgrade will be A LOT more painful than the migration was.

I am hoping that we can start work on the update towards the end of the year (possibly working on it during Xmas holiday) and as I said, as a result of the update we may lose some of the current look and have a chance to freshen things up a bit.

One final note, the question in the poll does not make sense to me. The update of the forum software and a possible change to the look of the site are two completely different topics in my mind. Yes, absolutely 100%, the forum software requires an update but I am not convinced we want to change the look and feel of the site too much based on some of the comments made in this thread already.

White Lightning
23-10-2009, 11:41 AM
The site looks good imo
If you do decide to rework anything regarding graphics/buttons/imgs give me a shout it's what I do and would be more than happy to help.

Having said that keep up the good work.
:beatnik2:

Thanks dude :thumbsup:

WildCards
23-10-2009, 02:48 PM
It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree that a few bits and bobs could do with working better or dropping completely, but I like the design of the site and really can't see the point in wasting time trying to improve upon something which doesn't need it.

Turbo_Steve
24-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the response, Wayne: definitely not meant in any way to be a criticism: We are where we are in no small part to your efforts, and where we are is just fine!

And please please don't struggle on by yourself: there seem to be innumerable techies on CVR4 who could help out where needed?

psbarham
24-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I agree that a few bits and bobs could do with working better or dropping completely, but I like the design of the site and really can't see the point in wasting time trying to improve upon something which doesn't need it.

as above really

chris g
24-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I must admit that when I have cut and paste some useful details from the site to a word file of my own, the white type on blue does not transfer so well...

Apart from that I am happy with the site and presentation...

And as a non-techie ( incompetent) other than simplest stuff, I cannot say enough how much I appreciate the efforts of Wayne and others to keep CVR4 as a presence out there in cyberspace...

miller
24-10-2009, 01:40 PM
i like it just the way it is!!

Spirit
24-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I must admit that when I have cut and paste some useful details from the site to a word file of my own, the white type on blue does not transfer so well...

Chris, what you could do is click on "Thread Tools" and then "Show Printable Version" and copy and paste from that version ?

ANTHONY
24-10-2009, 08:08 PM
words by Billy Joel...

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

BraindG
27-10-2009, 03:28 PM
If you need my help just shout - be quite happy to help you, afterall it is my brain code everywhere and prob quite confusing/daunting.

elnevio
27-10-2009, 03:33 PM
If you need my help just shout - be quite happy to help you, afterall it is my brain code everywhere and prob quite confusing/daunting.
What time shall we book you at Wayne's?! :D :deal2:

PS: Your avatar is everso hypnotic... :dizzy2:

BraindG
27-10-2009, 03:35 PM
its also outdated :P - got a silver one now..

Like i say, if you need me just shout - im subscribed to this thread for replies, most of committee should have my number too..

elnevio
27-10-2009, 03:41 PM
:thumbsup: Good stuff! /yes

White Lightning
27-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks Barry :thumbsup:

TAR
27-10-2009, 08:06 PM
This is what I think....

Suggestions for improvement should always be welcomed. Whether or not they are acted upon fall to the committee.

The committee should not feel that suggestions are a dig at their management; they are merely put forward in the spirit of continual improvement (of the site not the committee).

I think Ryan's poll question is a little blunt, but I'm sure that was not his intention.

We have a Bugs/Issues forum, maybe it should include a suggestions forum. This is where members can post idea's or thoughts on the site. Just like the current bugs/issues forum, the committee can post a reply to the suggestion stating whether anything could/should/would be done - This could be nothing or a change.

This isn't meant to add to the workload of the committee, but it may be a good way to engage with the great unwashed (members).

Please take this post in the spirit that it was written - constructive and helpful intent.

:happy:

elnevio
27-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Tim - great post. :thumbsup:

Although this forum is already called Site General / Ideas ! :smart: :P

Ryan
27-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I think Ryan's poll question is a little blunt, but I'm sure that was not his intention.

Please take this post in the spirit that it was written - constructive and helpful intent.

:happy:

Thank you - you're quite right.

martin_y
28-10-2009, 10:38 AM
If I was asked "what do you think could be improved?", my answer would be - "please can you make it simple to attach a picture, and please can you make it simple to link to a picture".

Nick Mann
28-10-2009, 10:49 AM
In some places we made it compulsory to attach rather than link, because links are not permanent. Some of the old articles are missing pictures because of now broken links, which is rubbish for those who want to see the pictures for example.

I don't think it is too difficult to attach a picture? In most forums there are two ways - the uploader tool or the manage attachments tool. I am not someone who spends much time on other forums so I am not sure how other people do it. Could you explain the process to make it easier?

elnevio
28-10-2009, 10:56 AM
The best way it the attachments manager tool. But the [ATTACH] tags fault at present is a pain - although this will hopefully be fixed when vB is upgraded.

The CVR4 Uploader also isn't working for quite a few people, including me.

valleyforge1
15-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Have to agree on this one