PDA

View Full Version : Berkshire VR4

NevGroom
04-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Thought I'd done this before, anyway, here goes.

Test drove a VR4 back in 2001, awesome motor, wanted it immediately. Sadly, the sensible brain cells convinced me I'd collect 12 points before I'd read the owners' manual.

Moved to within 100m of a Mitsubishi dealer a year ago and in January another appeared on their forecourt. Having banished all "middle-of-the-road" senses, the decision was quite straightforward (despoite having purchased a 328i cab just 6 weeks previously). The Bee Em was px'd and I am now the proud owner of a 2002 VR4 :-b , pearlescent white and can often be seen prowling the roads of Berkshire.

In the process of evaluating new tyres (asked this before here somewhere too), GY Eagle F1's were highly recommended, anyone got any views on Dunlop SP2020's ?

Nev (Wokingham)

Spirit
04-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi Nev

Great decision to px the Beemer mate ;)

Would be great it you can post up some pics for us.

With regards to tyres I am one of the Eagle F1 fans - may be a tad dearer than some others but I am well impressed with mine

Nick Mann
04-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Welcome!

Sorry, I don't have a view on the Dunlops. Most people dont rate them very highly. Mine was running on BFG Profilers. No complaints, but no comparisons either!

Kieran
04-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I can confirm that Dunlop SPs are utter tosh and should be avoided unless you enjoy aquaplaning! :rolleyes5

The Mighty GLS originally had Brigstone Potenzas on it, and after an embarrassing service (where the mechanics politely pointed out that all four tyres were a bit on the 'utterly screwed' side:$) I had to go with Dunlop SP Sport 200s all around - that's all they'd got at the time and I needed the car ASAP.

In fairness, they're hard wearing and fairly quiet. But that's it. They disappoint in every other discipline and in the wet I think they're positively dangerous! Having had 12,000 miles with them, I wouldn't even use one on the spare wheel if I could avoid it! :thumbsdow :veryangry

As Pete says, there are several Eagle F1 fans on here.... Think that sums it up really.:)

And by the way.... Welcome to Club VR-4. :)

Japmetal
04-07-2004, 11:40 PM
HI !

I have 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's and they have never disappointed me either :-D

lorriman
05-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Only have a lowly V6-24V but the stock Dunlop Sport 2000s on the 17" rims are okay, but noisy. The F1s I bought for myself when the Dunlops wore out are much much better, though they do tend to straight line (follow ruts in the road) which takes a bit of getting used to. Wouldn't recommend anything else but the F1s.

Polabear
05-07-2004, 11:27 AM
And da Bear is perfectly happy on his Falken ZE512's they stick like SH!TE to the proverbial army blanket.... :lipsrseal :-D

PS .. am also suitably Jealous.. my Pearlescent White Legnum is lying at the bottom of the Singapore Channel.... :sad3: :sad3: :sad3: but welcome to the club and enjoy the car.. they really are something else.. :-D

RED
05-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Hello Nev :welcome:

I'd of kept the Bima!! ONLY JOKING!! :rolleyes5 Though I do miss my convertible especially on hot days and I'd had her for 11 years longer than Marcus (?) :Cry1: :stupid:

Anyway I have a set of Toyo Proxes on mine and they - to coin a phrase from Polabear-they stick to the road like ****e to a blanket :D

ReggieK
05-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Welcome Nev :thumbsup:

Another local owner. I'm often in Wokingham, I'll have to keep an eye out for you. I'm only down the road in Bracknell.

I've got AVON ZZ3's on my beast, so far no complaints. Seem to grip quite well, even in the wet. They are not the best, I'll admit, but at around 75 notes a corner, they are not too bad. If I was going on a track I might want something more grippy, but for B-road barnstorming they're fine for me....

www.mytyres.co.uk give the following for roadtest findings...(1=best, 6=worst)

Overall Score = OS
Dry Grip = DG
Wet Grip = WG
Tyre Wear = TW

ZZ3's

Proxes T1

Eagle F1

Even though they are primarily a tyre sales site I find it a great place to source tyre info. I don't necessarily find their prices that low.