PDA

View Full Version : Galant 2.5 v6 Auto problems

chris2405
25-10-2009, 05:10 PM
The car was driving fine this morning, then slowing down to a roundabout, the car lost total power, ie. no drive, but engine running and revs limited to 1000rpm.

When you turn off engine, start engine, engage drive and press accelerator, car begins to move forward, but all drive disappears and car comes to a standstill. If you press the accelerator again, engine revs limited to 1000rpm but no drive to the wheels, even if you shift to N-R-P. Same if you shift into R from D or from P.

Confused
26-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds like it could be the "common" issue on the 2.5 V6 auto's - torque converter splines have stripped.

crazydriver81
26-10-2009, 01:13 PM
definately sounds like tc splines failed...time to get another tc then... :( or convert to manual box... :)

I guess it felt like hitting a little bump before car lost drive?

elnevio
26-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Does this failure usually mean that the engine rpm is limited to 1000rpm though? Or is that a protection measure built in to the ECU?

crazydriver81
26-10-2009, 04:17 PM
normally there is no sensor in there, so nothing to limit rev's - at least on my STR there was no limitation.

I don't understand this

When you turn off engine, start engine, engage drive and press accelerator, car begins to move forward, but all drive disappears and car comes to a standstill. If you press the accelerator again, engine revs limited to 1000rpm but no drive to the wheels.

Sounds like the clutch packs might have gone...

However, you feel the failing TC splines like hitting a little bump...then the drive is fully gone.

Hearing this above, sounds more like something is slipping in the gearbox. So that the input sensor sees the engine rev's and the output sensor sees no movement -> the rev's are limited to avoid more damage to whatever.

My suggestion would be, to source another gearbox from a UK spec 2WD Galant. Shouldn't be so difficult to find a box for a suitable price. Getting box and TC recond' costed me 1000EUR (+ labour and oil) a year ago in Germany.

psbarham
26-10-2009, 09:36 PM
if you need a box and Tc then I have one here :deal2:

aboo
26-10-2009, 09:49 PM
When the TC went in my old V6 there was no limit to the revs.

chris2405
27-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the fasr replys guys :) it seems odd but i had to move the car from where it was parked last night i put in into low gear and got no drive rocked the car it engauged gear and pulled away ive drove it to the garage and just left it their for further investigation, when it went i felt nout, just the light on the dash started flashing in N

miller
27-10-2009, 11:55 AM
you may be lucky and get away with some flush and fresh fluid. Thats kinda my feeling if you didnt feel anything when it happened

Mike

chris2405
27-10-2009, 12:29 PM
you may be lucky and get away with some flush and fresh fluid. Thats kinda my feeling if you didnt feel anything when it happened

Mike

I shall give that a try mate the cheapest option first is always the best

crazydriver81
27-10-2009, 05:08 PM

:iagree:

And you may let us know, how the colour of your AT fluid looks like and if you find some metal residues etc. Please do not forget to change the oilfilter as well.

good luck!

chris2405
27-10-2009, 05:11 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but do i have to drop the sump to change the filter? i did on the last auto i had

crazydriver81
27-10-2009, 05:18 PM
no, oil filter sits on top of the box, below the airbox snorkel

Growler
27-10-2009, 06:03 PM
out fo curiosity are the problems mentioned above about splines etc a regular thing?

as if i buy one i wouldnt want that to happen 5 minutes down the road

White Lightning
27-10-2009, 06:20 PM
out fo curiosity are the problems mentioned above about splines etc a regular thing?

Obviously, I have a vested interest in answering this question so it's best that you listen to others more than me but I would say, the answer to is it a regular thing, no. In fact, I can't remember any cases of this type of failure reported on a VR-4 ... but I suspect there must have been.

The most common fault with the auto boxes (on the VR-4 anyway) is the torque converter seal goes. But again, it's not THAT common. You have to remember that most of the VR-4s on here have auto boxes so you will see more gearbox failures on autos than manuals due to the population that exists.

In general, the auto box is very reliable. Whether it's less reliable than the manual boxes (if you include clutch failures on the manual), well I remain to be convinced.

elnevio
27-10-2009, 06:28 PM
If I recall correctly, this is fault that mostly seems to occur (albeit infrequently!) to the early auto boxes (i.e. full auto, non-INVECS boxes, without tip function).

White Lightning
27-10-2009, 06:34 PM
(i.e. full auto, non-INVECS boxes, without tip function).

i.e. not the INVECS II box fitted in the VR-4 :D

aboo
27-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Was there no oil leaking from the bottom of the car? This sounds like what happend when my TC seal failed on the Legnum.

Had limited revs & N light was flashing & when she sat it would drive but not very well untill it was topped up with ATF.

So it my be your TC seal.

Growler
27-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Phew glad to hear

crazydriver81
27-10-2009, 09:52 PM
the failing TC splines is a known issue for the non-turbo auto-boxes with tip (INVECS-II boxes). Issue is linked to the TC, which is the same part for the INVECS-II 4gear auto-boxes in 2WD and 4WD non-turbo 8G's. Critical voices say, that the TC will only last 100k kms before the splines will fail (my TC failed after 102k kms).

The auto-box found in 8G VR-4's is a different construction. It has a different TC and is 5gear. If there is a problem with the auto box, it is mostly due to the TC seal and the lack of ATF.

chris2405
28-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Was there no oil leaking from the bottom of the car? This sounds like what happend when my TC seal failed on the Legnum.

Had limited revs & N light was flashing & when she sat it would drive but not very well untill it was topped up with ATF.

So it my be your TC seal.

No oil under the car mate, so am getting a filter today for it and going to top it up with fluid and find out if it works

chris2405
29-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Well fresh oil and filter change didnt work :( and box is making a quier noise so its gota come out

chris2405
29-10-2009, 06:13 PM
well the way things are lookin at the min ive just lost my job and cant afford to fix the car :(

crazydriver81
29-10-2009, 10:29 PM
sh*t... mate, feeling with you as I had the same in the beginning of this year.

Hopefully the situation turns out for you in the end and you'll get a new job soon.

Don't give up mate! :thumbsup: