PDA

View Full Version : Tein EDFC

carlos-1975
26-10-2009, 06:58 PM
in have tein coilovers on my car and have just found a edfc controller and 4 motors what are the benefits of having this?

rees
26-10-2009, 07:03 PM
adjust the ride stiffness (not the height )from the controller in your car
am looking for that setup , you selling ?

Nick Mann
26-10-2009, 07:10 PM
As said. Adjustable damping from the drivers seat. Are your dampers adjustable? You'll have a thread on the top of the strut visible from the engine bay if so. You should see an allen key type adjuster IIRC.

carlos-1975
26-10-2009, 07:15 PM
at the top of the strut is a black cap when this is removed there is a knurlled part then it goes to a threaded section. i am sure you looked before nick and said they may be adjustable. they are the super wagon teins ?

nuster100
26-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I believe its the super streets that work with the EDFC.

I had it on my skyline, was very useful, allows you to adjust things from quite soft, to absolutely rock hard.

Good for switching between road / track or fact driving settings.

Jay

Davezj
26-10-2009, 09:20 PM
carl the motor come in m10, m12, m14 size threads. you will have to measure the thread width to find out if they will fit. also what colour is the controller box there are 2 different types silver and black and 2 different types of motor small and large.
the black box will only work with one type of motor and the silver box will only work with one type of motor, but i can't remember which way round it is and i don't know if using the wrong ones will damage the other part.

i have a black controller but no motors or wiring loom at the moment. but these are not too difficult to get as you can buy these separatly direct from Tein.

John TheAntique
26-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes Carl you have them. The EDFC is dead easy to fit but make sure the thread on the bottom of the motors is the right size. There are 3 sizes, M10 no groove, M12 one groove, M14 two grooves IIRC ours are M10 but check on the Tein website. If they are second hand you may also need the adaptors that replace the knurled nuts. Whatever you do don't tighten the motors too much when fitting, finger tight is tight enough as they self set initially. Any problems ask.

psbarham
26-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I've got the similar set up for my diayamas and its trick and useful at the same time, ride to the shops set them to soft, ride about with your hair on fire, set them to hard. proper cool

Davezj
26-10-2009, 09:33 PM
carl, don't be tempeted to just start twiddling the bits under the black caps. there are 16 or 32 setting on the shocks. but if you undo (anticlockwise) the knurled bit more than the 16 or 32 clicks you can damage the shocks i presume the bits in the shock fall off the end of the internal thread. you can download the installation/operation manual from the tein website Tein.com
or if you have trouble getting it i can post you a copy of mine.

hard is clockwise and soft is anti clockwise.

if you want to set them up, do them up clockwise as far as they go then you can count the clicks when you turn anti clockwise so you don't go too far.

oh by the way the big motors when fitted might foul on the underside of the bonnet. so if you fit them be careful when closing the bonnet. i suggest you put some shaving cream, grease or bluetack on the top of the motors so you can see if they touch without applying any pressure and damaging things.

oh and one more thing the motors may need a strut mounting kit to hold them in place while the try and spin, depending on what type of shocks and motors you have.

post some pics and i will beable to tell you.

carlos-1975
26-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Uh oh I have been twisting them knurled bits I better leave them alone. Now the kit I have seen is of a scooby here http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-sale-general-17/796970-tein-edfc-complete-wiring-etc.html need to do a bit more digging before I commit

Davezj
26-10-2009, 10:08 PM
i think the silver box is for the older larger motors, these have removable rubber covers so you can check them.

the black box is for the smaller motors and they have built in rubber covers that are not removable.

i think the lager motors are 45mm acress and the smaller ones are 35mm across.

Nick Mann
26-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Carl, now you have said that I think we did do a comparison when I came to yours?

Mine are the Super Wagons and the motors do not foul anything. They are close to the plastic trim in the boot though! I can't tell you what thread they are, but I have got a black controller and black motors. Nothing needed except motors wiring and controller, as far as I remember, but I do remember having to remove something before I fitted the motors.

carlos-1975
26-10-2009, 10:19 PM
cheers forthe feedback ppl

Davezj
26-10-2009, 10:28 PM
yes when you fit them you have to remove the knurled bit, there is a flat on the bottom of the moving bit, you put a spanner on that and twist the top bit, and then fit the allen key type top bit, so the motor allen bit will fit in to it then screw the motor on clockwise which may change the damping but this can be rest once fitted.
if that makes any sense. it should do if you have seen the shockes and motors.

by the may i have much older HA shocks that need M10 threaded motors front and back.