PDA

View Full Version : Auto Box Mare

Unsson
27-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I replaced my engine a few months ago, gear box was fine prior to this. Now the neutral light is flashin and it wont go above 3rd gear. Its fine as soon as it starts up but after a while it comes back. Tryed toppin up the fluid and lookin for fault codes and everything seems fine. Dont think its overheating either. Any advice would very much be appreciated......

crazydriver81
27-10-2009, 01:36 AM
after changing the engine, the gearbox has this fault? Cos' you say that everything was fine prior to engine change a few month ago...

How many miles you have done since the problem occured? Which fluid have you used to fill the auto-box. What's the actual color of the AT fluid? Any other changes except replacing the engine? Any rev-limiting to XXXX RPM due to not changing to gear4 and 5? Anything else (like "OMG, I forgot to mention that the AT dropped 50cm when taking out for the engine change" ;)) ?

My first guess here is a failed electrical connection. AFAIK Alex (galantonly) had a similar problem with his Galant he bought from UK.
Temperature issue due to wrong ATF would be my second guess.
The missing gear 4 and 5 might indicate a problem with the transmission valve body.

However, hard to tell you where to start looking at.

1. check electrical connections, might be faulty due to disconnected during engine change
2. Check ATF condition and use SPIII compliant oil (e.g. Amsoil ATF)
3. Try to check fo fault codes with your Mitsi dealer.

Good luck!

Unsson
27-10-2009, 01:49 AM
I checked all the connections i could get my hands on.
ATF oil is brand new and from mitsi dealer.
I havent done any more than about 10miles since the new engine went in (had other problems with driveshafts and missing engine mount bolts....)

Engine was the only thing changed.

No rev limiting, it goes like a trooper in 3rd gear.

Ran the car for a bit then checked the temp of the oil and while i couldnt touch the engine cooler pipes without getting a nasty burn the gearbox cooler pies were stone cold so i made sure the fluid was actually goin through them, and it was.

bradc
27-10-2009, 05:28 AM
I would check it for fault codes which will hopefully tell you where the problem is.

Unsson
27-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Shorted out pin 1 and 4 as per another thread i read, but no fault code....

bradc
27-10-2009, 07:04 AM
So just to confirm again, it is perfect when first started and selects all gears ok, then after a while the N starts flashing and you are limited to third?

How quick does the N flash and how long is the light on for? Is it steady flashing?

When you can change into 4th and 5th does it change perfectly and drive perfectly? Is there any shuddering at all if you are in 5th at about 60-70kmh and apply about 50% throttle?

Is it a car with ASC/TCL? Do either of those lights ever flash? Do the AYC lights come up ok? Does it brake ok and smoothly?

White Lightning
27-10-2009, 10:10 AM
ATF oil is brand new and from mitsi dealer.

Do you know exactly what ATF was put in?

Just wondering whether they put the wrong stuff in.

keithatport
27-10-2009, 11:56 AM
We had this problem with my car and it was cuased by a broken wire or wires. We were able to replicate the fault with the car stationary just by jiggling the wires about.

crazydriver81
27-10-2009, 05:15 PM
We had this problem with my car and it was cuased by a broken wire or wires. We were able to replicate the fault with the car stationary just by jiggling the wires about.

This is what I mentioned with Alex' fault. All connections were fine and plugged properly but there was a pin missing in one plug so similar behavior - no fault codes and issues with non-changing gears.

maybe this helps: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40139

Unsson
27-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Do u remeber which wires it was? there's quite alot of them......

peter thomson
27-10-2009, 08:55 PM
We replaced the whole engine gearbox loom though it would have been related to the solenoids

Unsson
28-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Cheers dude. I'll hav a go an see what happens.

crazydriver81
29-10-2009, 12:53 AM
hey there!

sounds pretty similar to that your gearbox goes in limp home mode. try search for "limp home" and you will find answers...

limp home occurs normally, when input and output sensors recognize different signals (e.g. gearbox slippage due to old or wrong oil, failed sensors or sticky solenoids)

Give the electrical connections a good check and then look at your gearbox oil level and condition. Give the gearbox a good flush with correct oil to get rid of the old stuff. Last but not least reset A/T ecu by disconnecting battery for 30 mins.

Is a cheap way to check most common issues. If the situation does not improve, then you might have other issues with gearbox internals (worn clutch packs etc.)

cheers
Stefan