PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

RussBird82
27-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Is it just me or am I getting totally /grrr off by these companies?

2002 Galant Elegance V6 (no modifications)
27 Years Old
7 Years No Claims
Full Clean Licence

Cheapest Quote £390 with £650 excess...
(Only paid £350 last year with £400 excess)

Talk about recession proofing

Any suggestions?

elnevio
27-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Yep! Sky Insurance, Adrian Flux, A-Plan...

As it's a standard UK car, DirectLine, Swiftcover and Aviva I have found to give us good results previously!

Also, having a named driver (e.g. partner, mother, etc.) on often helps in terms of lowering the premium, and being really useful if you could with lending them your car at some point.

johny105
27-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Lol i wish i could be in your position!
£800 with £500 excess
22 years old
4years ncd
clean license
52 2.0 galant

frankoni
28-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I got a quote last week from Lifesure, its the best quote i've had so far £430 with £200 excess. I tried all of the ones mentioned above!! Adrian Flux was the next best quote but the excess was a lot higher.............................

waxer
28-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I rang Sky this morning. As soon as they heard my Bradford postcode, they said they couldn't quote for me. This despite the fact I live in a small town in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales! I have never experienced this type of discrimination before, and it angers me that they are allowed to do it.
So I will renew with Adrian Flux at £490, which I don't think is a good price for a 38-year old with 11 years NCB.

sky insurance
28-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Waxer,

postcodes are a bit of a thorn in our side unfortunately but I can assure you in saying that the 'BD' area was our worst area in the UK for car insurance, we had so many claims that our underwriters pulled the area. I am sure you will argue that you live outside of Bradford and dont see any crime BUT unfortunately our statistics showed otherwise, hence why the BD postcode area was excluded. It is rare we band a whole area like this.

Thanks for trying us, apologies we wouldn't help.

ebo06
28-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I think I'm winning this so far, just renewed with lifesure £1340. Its £100 cheaper than last year.
97 VR4 Fully Comp
All mods listed
30 years old
7 yrs no claims
Garaged
I could only get Lifesure to give me a quote as no other company would insure a modified VR4 in Liverpool, I was told they couldn't insure for all Liverpool postcodes or M1 postcodes. In 3 years I have now paid more insurance than what the car is worth.

PaddyB
28-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Similar tale for M26. A-plan (IIRC) sorted me out with a good deal:
Fully comp no mods
protected no claims
£250 xs (that's all)
SDP & business <10k mi p.a.
other odds'n'sods like legal, etc..
All for less that £500

EDIT: but the clincher was I only have to pay £35 admin fee to update the policy if I change the wheels/down pipes/exhaust

blackpool kev
28-10-2009, 05:13 PM
just renewed with swinton. £284.14with protected and £250 excess.
But i am 51 with full no claims. Yet got quoted £670 for a scoobie. wrx sti. Think i'll keep the leggy. lol.

waxer
29-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi Waxer,

postcodes are a bit of a thorn in our side unfortunately but I can assure you in saying that the 'BD' area was our worst area in the UK for car insurance, we had so many claims that our underwriters pulled the area. I am sure you will argue that you live outside of Bradford and dont see any crime BUT unfortunately our statistics showed otherwise, hence why the BD postcode area was excluded. It is rare we band a whole area like this.

Thanks for trying us, apologies we wouldn't help.

My biggest gripe isn't that I live outside Bradford, but that insurers shouldn't be able to cherry-pick and leave some people in the lurch (please excuse mixed metaphor). Imagine if statistics showed that black people had more claims than white, would you start asking us all to grade ourselves against a colour chart?

danwins224
29-10-2009, 07:52 AM
£375 fully comp £200 excess

97 vr4
3 yrs no claim
37 yr old
parked on drive

YES insurance services

RussBird82
29-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. Not had internet for a couple of days but I've still just under 2 weeks to sort it out so I'll definately try a couple of the companies quoted. Live in a pretty safe area so postcode shouldn't really come into it? Might be my job in catering...has links with alcohol I suppose