PDA

View Full Version : PLX Kiwi MPG

sightless
31-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Looking at getting something like the PLX Kiwi MPG.
They do a wireless one that connects to an ipod touch and shows/logs a lot of info, but I dont have an IPOD touch.
There is also one that connects up to all other PLX devices, pretty nifty

The basic one works out to about $180NZD.

Has anyone seen anything else that looks like this/does the same thing?
Has anyone used one or any of the other two?

djb160
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Are you sure you want a measurement device in you car that's sensitive to electromagnetic interference?

sightless
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Are you sure you want a measurement device in you car that's sensitive to electromagnetic interference?

:inquisiti
I want something that helps me know/learn how to drive efficiently. My previous jobs work car had one and thought the feature was great.
Can you explain what you mean?

djb160
06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
If its wireless setup it might be susceptible to things like solar flares that take out other wireless networks. All depends on the frequency (I think). Might not be an issue though, just something to consider. If you've had it and it worked fine in the past just ignore me :D

sightless
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
the cheaper option isn't a wireless one, its a stand alone unit.
Solar flares.... hmmmmm... you are pulling the piss right? I mean sure it could interfere, but :speechles

phosty
06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I initially didn't think the Kiwi would work on our cars as I don't believe our OBD port is fully OBDII compliant and wouldn't pass out data about mpg which isn't calculated internally.

However after reading this thread here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=485061&postcount=38

It may work if all it needs is injector pulse/dwell data (and presumably some manually entered scaling factors) + speed signal?

Who's going to be the guinea pig?

themightyo
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Who's going to be the guinea pig?

I have one winging its way to me from the US. Got it to sort out the check engine light in my missus' Ka. Ford want £70+ to reset the light after already charging us £70+ to tell us why it was on, whereas the whole PLX Kiwi wifi OBDII setup was £91 posted and has too many cool extras for me not to do it :thumbsup:

I'll see if I can get it up and running on my Legnum after that. Where's the diagnostic port?

Turbo_Steve
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Just above your clutch foot.

themightyo
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Also, I think the mpg is worked out using the MAF sensor readout and the current speed.

themightyo
03-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Just above your clutch foot.

Cheers bud. Will I need to do the pin 1/pin 4 bridging thing?

themightyo
03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Cheers bud. Will I need to do the pin 1/pin 4 bridging thing?

Suck it and see, I suppose.

themightyo
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Well, I got my Kiwi thing and the various iPhone/Laptop software to use it. I can confirm that it works fine on my Ka, especially in that it tells me that the engine light is on due to a faulty lambda sensor and not an "undiagnosable misfire on cylinder 2" as Evans Halshaw in Portobello, Edinburgh would have me believe. Twats.

I can also confirm that it fits in the VR4 diagnostic socket, but it doesn't work. I've tried bridging pins 1 & 4 as well.

Oh well.

Turbo_Steve
05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorry, I hadn't seen the question about bridging the pins: you definitely do NOT want them bridged, as this flips the port into "Mitsubishi" mode, not ODB mode.

The subarus used to have to be "persuded" to log ODB data...I wonder if there is a trick to the VR4....